Moved back to old Mini, lost a lot of my config

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:56 pm
Alphaman offline

Moved back to old Mini, lost a lot of my config

So, a couple years ago I moved my Mini to another task (dev/test of other stuff). After all that, I decided today was the day to move it back to being the Indigo Server.

I followed the instructions to move the installation to a new Mac, zipping up the PA/Indigo 7.4 directory, copying to the Mini, installing 7.4.1 (was running 7.4, so I moved the old dir out of the PA directory), then fired up and authenticated.

The setup looks like it came from a couple years ago. My HomeKit Bridge is missing, as are a few devices and the new Control Pages I made.

Any idea what I might have done wrong? Might there be file attributes/protections that didn't copy across because I zipped up the files first?

Really flummoxed, and the wife is already missing HomeKit,
Aaron

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Moved back to old Mini, lost a lot of my config

Are you sure you did it in the right order? Put the Indigo 7.4 directory from your current installation in the right place on the target mac, then run the Indigo 7.4 installer. Sounds like you did it in the wrong order and it found a pre 7.4 installation which is upgraded from. Ordering is very important particularly when you're moving to a mac that had an older install on it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:43 pm
Alphaman offline

Yeah, sorry, was needlessly ambiguous on that. I did do it in the right order.
Should be noted:
    There were also 6 and 7.3 directories there
    I'd left the (really old) 7.4 directory there but had renamed it to Indigo 7.4.old, only moving it out after I discovered the missing bits
Any way I can recover now? Should I shutdown Indigo, nuke the errant 7.4 directory, restore from my zip file, then re-launch it?

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:44 pm
Alphaman offline

Also, can/should I get rid of the old 6 & 7.3 directories without ill effect?

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:03 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

At this point (and as long as you have the current install/Mac), I'd just nuke everything in the /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/ directory on the target Mac (you can zip up everything that's in there now if you want). Then copy the correct 7.4 directory from the current install/Mac into that directory. Then run the Indigo 7.4 installer.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:54 pm
Alphaman offline

Did precisely that. Still get the same results. This makes no sense.

I did see an odd behavior when copying from the iMac to the Mini -- it copied about 390 of 427 MB, then failed when I tried to just drag from Finder to the remote Finder via vnc://. After 3 tries doing that, I decided to zip it up and copy that across. It worked, but it really did slow down a lot when it hit the 380 point during zipping. I presumed that was caused by there just being a ton of small files.

Any way I can perform a consistency check on that directory tree?

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:00 pm
Alphaman offline

Whoa, check this out on my old machine.

There's nothing in the Databases directory, and an old 7.3.1 db in the Databases (Old) directory. Where did my database go? I can probably get it back using Time Machine, if it that will work.
Attachments
Screenshot  2020-03-19 at 8.58.06 PM.png
Nothing in the Databases directory!
Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 8.58.06 PM.png (66.23 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:21 pm
Alphaman offline

Another clue -- the Events in the Logs folder are up to date, showing stuff right up until I shutdown Indigo on the old iMac server.

Just checked Time Machine, and there's nothing in Databases going back to January 22 of this year -- I must've done an update then, because it doesn't look like there was anything before that in 7.4.

Posted on
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Then you probably moved or created your database elsewhere (Indigo doesn't force the DB into the Databases directory, like any other Mac app you can put it anywhere). If you can still start Indigo up on the current Mac, you can Command-click the DB name in the Home Window (just like any Mac app) to see where the DB file is located. If not, check the Documents directory in the home folder for the user under which Indigo is installed and runs.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:21 am
Alphaman offline

Brilliant! That was it.

The 2 machines both used the same file location, so while I couldn't start up the iMac (I'd already moved my license), I was able to get a clue off the Mini. I shutdown Indigo on the Mini, renamed the old file on there, and then copied the correct one from the Mac. Restarted, et voilà! Success!

Thanks, Jay!

Posted on
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You might want to take this opportunity to move the db file back into the Databases folder in your install - that way you only have to back up the install directories to get a full backup. Now that Indigo knows it's location, when you shut down the server, move the file (not copy, but move), and start the server back up, it should find it in the new location. If not, you just need to double-click it in the Finder (or use the File->Select Database... menu item) to get it opened.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:42 am
Alphaman offline

Good idea. Will do!

One last issue -- HomeKit Bridge. All my devices are now "Not responding". I've made sure the bridge is running on the Mini (had to rebuild the db for that, too) and rebooted both of my Apple TVs that are acting as hubs.

Everything looks like it's working, except the Home app. Any troubleshooting tips specific to moving from one server to another?

Posted on
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No idea, I don't use it. Probably post over in his forums to get more specific troubleshooting tips.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:13 pm
Alphaman offline

Thanks again, Jay.

Page 1 of 1