Insteon AC Signals Over a Long Electrical Run

Discuss how Indigo and INSTEON work together. If you have an INSTEON device that's not listed in the Home Automation Hardware forum or in the supported devices web app, report it here.
zeigh

Insteon AC Signals Over a Long Electrical Run

Post by zeigh »

Does anyone have some ideas on increasing the reliability of Insteon signals over a long electrical run? (Insteon Support stated that an AC signal can reach up to a mile on 12 AWG wiring.)

I just installed some landscaping lights at my driveway entrance. The burial AC wiring is 10-2 AWG running 425 feet on a dedicated 20A circuit. There is an Insteon lamp module on the end electrical outlet and receives manual commands 96% of the time in testing (device directly and device via executed schedule). However, I often get these errors:

Sent INSTEON "Driveway: Entrance Lights" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Driveway: Entrance Lights" off
Error "Driveway: Entrance Lights" status request; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Sent INSTEON "Driveway: Entrance Lights" status request (received: 0)

Schedule Driveway Entrance Lights- SUNRISE
Sent INSTEON "Driveway: Entrance Lights" off
Schedule Driveway Entrance Lights- SUNRISE
Error "Driveway: Entrance Lights" on to 100; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Sent INSTEON "Driveway: Entrance Lights” off

On the main AC panel, I do have a direct wired phase coupler installed. Maybe I need to wire in a separate repeater at the beginning of the wiring run. I have one of the first generation Dual-Band Access Points (#2443) somewhere. Would this help or do I need to obtain a more recent model Range Extender? Any other ideas?

(BTW, I need that electrical outlet at the end of the wiring run for other devices power. Otherwise the fix would be relocating the lamp module.)
“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.
jay (support)
Site Admin

Re: Insteon AC Signals Over a Long Electrical Run

Post by jay (support) »

Unclear. You might want to try to put a dual-band device just inside the wall closest to that outside lamp module to see if it gets more reliable RF between them (assuming the lamp module is also dual-band).
Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
PinchRoller

Re: Insteon AC Signals Over a Long Electrical Run

Post by PinchRoller »

just installed some landscaping lights at my driveway entrance. The burial AC wiring is 10-2 AWG running 425 feet on a dedicated 20A circuit. There is an Insteon lamp module on the end electrical outlet and receives manual commands 96% of the time in testing.... BTW, I need that electrical outlet at the end of the wiring run :mrgreen: for other devices power.
As a test, you could disconnect the other devices at the end of that run to determine if they are absorbing the powerline signals. If the reliability percentage increases, then I would recommend a filter on those devices (not the lamp module). It is not sufficient to turn off those devices, disconnect then completely from the power feed and run your test.

-Pinch

Return to “INSTEON”