SwitchLinc dimmer possessed? toggling on/off by itself

Discuss how Indigo and INSTEON work together. If you have an INSTEON device that's not listed in the Home Automation Hardware forum or in the supported devices web app, report it here.
WagnerOne

SwitchLinc dimmer possessed? toggling on/off by itself

Post by WagnerOne »

I have a SwitchLinc dimmer (in-wall device) that recently began toggling on and off seemingly on its own.

My defined Indigo control of it hasn't changed and I see no mention of this toggling on and off in the Indigo logs.

The device has been in service 10+ years and just last week began doing this. I turned it on/off a few times on the physical switch and it stopped doing this, but this morning the thing is turning itself on and off like a switch possessed (I have no reason to think it's actually possessed).

Could this be anything other than a sign the device has reached it's service duration?

Thanks,
Mike
WagnerOne

Re: SwitchLinc dimmer possessed? toggling on/off by itself

Post by WagnerOne »

The bulbs in the ceiling light this switch controls are LED and about as old as the switch. Makes me recall these bulbs were like $30+ each back then.

Maybe if one or more of those are flaking out it could make the switch do this toggling?

This thought struck me as it only does this when there is load on it.

When I turn the switch off (via Indigo or physically) the on/off business ceases.
FlyingDiver

Post by FlyingDiver »

Is it the switch actually toggling, or is it the light going on and off? Might be the bulbs flaking out and the switch is innocent.
joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177
WagnerOne

Post by WagnerOne »

It's the switch. There are 6 bulbs in the overhead light it controls and they all go on/off in sync.

Guess it's probably time to replace this thing.
WagnerOne

Post by WagnerOne »

I've been researching a zwave switch to replace this thing recently.

Goofy thing is it has stopped doing this on/off business. Hasn't done it for a good week now. Hmmm
mundmc

Post by mundmc »

I have encountered exactly this problem with insteon switch links (I assume you are using insteon). I'm not sure if it's from Charder on the powerlines or just indicative of the unit failing. Sorry I don't have a solution
WagnerOne

Post by WagnerOne »

As a followup, this INSTEON switch started cycling the lights it controls again with a vengeance, so it got yanked and replaced with a ZEN72 Z-wave switch.

Return to “INSTEON”