Coming Soon - Octopus Energy for Indigo 2022.1 and Python 3

Posted on
Sat May 14, 2022 4:36 am
neilk offline

Coming Soon - Octopus Energy for Indigo 2022.1 and Python 3

Hi all,
Current versions run fine in Indigo 2022.1, I will release a Python 3 version but unlike my other plugins a little more to dig into and also tidying up the code, and I am also adding support for the Go Tariff and new features.
Neil

Posted on
Sun May 26, 2024 2:49 pm
durosity offline

Re: Coming Soon - Octopus Energy for Indigo 2022.1 and Pyth

I'm presuming that this never got to see the light of day?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2024 1:47 am
neilk offline

Actually I did the upgrade but Agile became way too expensive for a long time and I moved to the tracker. I am contemplating looking at this again as the APi has moved on and lots more tariff versions to include so the upgrade became a much bigger task. I also would consider supporting Intelligent but that is trickier as the slots are potentially dynamic above the standard cheaper window.

I am also looking to add support for their new Home Pro CAD device which I have on Trial which will give local MQTT based access to the smart meter.

Let me know what you would like/need and I will see if I can get going with it including tariff you need.

Neil

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2024 3:34 am
mwoodage offline

Hi Neil,
I'd be interested in any updates to this plug-in. I'm an Octopus Go user at present but thinking of moving to Agile during the summer :D

Cheers
Martin

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2024 6:29 am
durosity offline

neilk wrote:
Actually I did the upgrade but Agile became way too expensive for a long time and I moved to the tracker. I am contemplating looking at this again as the APi has moved on and lots more tariff versions to include so the upgrade became a much bigger task. I also would consider supporting Intelligent but that is trickier as the slots are potentially dynamic above the standard cheaper window.

I am also looking to add support for their new Home Pro CAD device which I have on Trial which will give local MQTT based access to the smart meter.

Let me know what you would like/need and I will see if I can get going with it including tariff you need.

Neil

Well, I don’t actually have octopus at the moment (despite having had an EV for the last 10 years.. I hate to think how much I’ve wasted!) but I’ve been looking around and it seems that it may be the best option for when I renew in a few months.

I was more just enquiring as to if it ever had been and was just hidden somewhere as that may have made it more viable for me!

Also the pro cad looks interesting, so would definitely be interested in support for that.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2024 9:10 am
neilk offline

So this has prompted me to get something going again. I will probably rebuild this as it was getting a bit cumbersome and was my first real attempt. I will look to support the following :-

1) Selection of the right variant of your tariff (the various agile flavours)

2) Support for the Intelligent Go (at least for the standard overnight cheap period)

3) Support for the Tracker Tariffs

4) The price sensor device (changes state when price drops below a threshold for Agile)

5) Attempt to calculate cost on the fly for smart tariff's

The Home Pro is on a limited trial, but actually is an interesting and highly configurable device (they give access to the full pi style header to connect your own sensors, and a customisable LED array). The down side is I have had to add MQTT support myself. That will come probably as a separate plugin to reduce complexity. More on the Home Pro here https://github.com/OctopusSmartEnergy/Home-Pro-SDK-Public/blob/main/Home.md

As for Octopus as a supplier, I was first driven to them as they were the only supplier to have an API for meter/tariff access and they did some really innovative stuff with Agile and EV tariffs; They are actually a little off the pace with current EV tariff (Octopus Intelligent) but if you have a compatible car or charger it can be really effective. I don't do a huge mileage and actually their tracker tariff (follows daily wholesale prices) has been really good and is the cheapest for me (but this is during a time when the wholesale price has been falling relative to the cap).

Time to brush up on their API and my skills, but it will take me some time, beer gardens maybe more tempting than coding if we ever get any summer like weather.

Neil

Posted on
Mon May 27, 2024 11:37 am
durosity offline

Cool! Well I just checked with the wife and she said we don’t change contracts until October, but it looks 90% likely we’ll move their way at that time, so hopefully this will be of use!

I may want to pick your brains about the different tarrifs at some point.. there so many it’s kind overwhelming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1