ad2usb plugin discussion

Posted on
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:20 pm
gt3mike offline

Re: ad2usb plugin discussion

berkinet wrote:
gt3mike wrote:
I have a Vista 21ip. I saw mentions that I can't use LRR emulation if I already have cellular or IP connectivity installed. Does the IP capability of the 21ip mean I can't use LRR emulation, or is the built-in IP capability of the 21ip handled differently?
I cannot give panel specific advice. What I can tell you is you can only have one LRR in a system. If one of your interfaces, built-in or add-on, connects to the bus as a LRR, then you cannot have another. If you do not have a real LRR device on your panel, then you can use the the AD2* to emulate one.

You might also take a look at this post. viewtopic.php?p=134002#p134002

Yep, I totally understand regarding panel-specific advice. Saw that post already. Helpful - thanks.

Does anyone else here have any experience with using AD2* with a Vista 21ip panel specifically?

(I also sent a note to Sean at AD to get his perspective.)

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:44 am
hamw offline

Well, after much difficulty over the last year or so, things "appear" to be working as expected. I had posted some time ago about recurring errors and also difficulty in getting infrared sensors (PIRs) hooked up, but on another partition and so not set off alarms. In my experience these are much better than the Insteon sensors, which eat batteries every 6 months or so, thus being a more solid and long lasting replacement.

Regarding the errors, i was convinced there was a problem with the AD2USB device and so replaced it, downgrading the firmware as noted in prior posts. However, it turns out that when we had some work done on the system the alarm guys put the long range radio on Device 3, conflicting with one of my keypad assignments. Also, when the power goes out on the alarm, I noted that the AD2USB defaults to keypad address 01. So I went through all my 6160 physical keypads, the AD2USB and the plugin keypads assignments, reassigning to proper and unused addresses. This fixed all the errors until I got the PIRs working, as seen below.

I then set up a third partition on the existing AD2USB plugin. Previously I had created another version of the plugin with a different name to serve as the monitor for these PIRs. However that did not work well, also generating a lot of errors. With the third partition set up and a new keypad address enabled on the alarm panel, I was able to enroll and assign the PIRs to the 3rd partition. I thought that I would need to use them in advanced mode, but in fact the plugin would not respond to the sensors in Advanced mode despite trying all the variations in the device definitions. So I reverted to Basic mode. Since they were enrolled in the panel they generate the proper string changes and the plugin recognizes them and properly faults/clears/logs the changes. I plan to get more of these to help monitor and trigger actions for image capture at the doorbell, people in the driveway, backyard etc.

However, these new devices on Partition 3 seem to be throwing an error on their own:

AD2USB Alarm Interface Zone: 39 - Zone Driveway Door Motion RF Wireless PIR 39 state changed to: (Faulted)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Zone: 39 - Zone Driveway Door Motion RF Wireless PIR 39 state changed to: (Clear)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Error Error on line 791
AD2USB Alarm Interface Error panelMsgRead: Error: list.remove(x): x not in list

Mar 25, 2018, 12:09:56 PM
AD2USB Alarm Interface Zone: 40 - Zone Patio Motion RF Wireless 40 PIR state changed to: (Faulted)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Zone: 40 - Zone Patio Motion RF Wireless 40 PIR state changed to: (Clear)

I can definitely live with this, but was wondering if there is a fix?

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:10 am
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
Well, after much difficulty over the last year or so, things "appear" to be working as expected....
...Mar 25, 2018, 12:09:56 PM
AD2USB Alarm Interface Zone: 40 - Zone Patio Motion RF Wireless 40 PIR state changed to: (Faulted)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Zone: 40 - Zone Patio Motion RF Wireless 40 PIR state changed to: (Clear)

I can definitely live with this, but was wondering if there is a fix?
First, congratulations on getting everything (more-or-less) working. As to your other issue. The plugin does not really implement multi-partition systems very well. It needs to be pretty much re-written, or even better, the AD2* needs to manage that and just let the downstream clients know the partition as part of the data stream. (As it stands now, there is no partition identifier and detecting the partition requires logic based on the keypad device assigned to the partition.)

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm
wikner offline

I just installed and set up a new AD2Pi. It works fine through its web interface. Next I installed the latest version of the plugin. Attached is a screenshot of my configuration dialog. The value of "A" for the Keypad address was obtained by clicking the "read ad2usb Config" button. I get similar results from entering the actual Keypad address (which is 18) of by leaving the field blank ("panelMsgRead: Error: '18'" or "panelMsgRead: Error: ''"). On exit I get the following, with the error messages appearing every few seconds
Code: Select all
Enabling plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0"
   Starting plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 39622)
   AD2USB Alarm Interface          Log level preferences are set to "Normal".
   Started plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0"
   AD2USB Alarm Interface          Plugin setup completed. Ready to open link to the ad2usb in Advanced mode.
   AD2USB Alarm Interface          ad2usb opened for communication at socket://192.168.15.79:10000
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    Error on line 677
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    panelMsgRead: Error: 'A'
   Disabling plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0"
   Stopping plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0" (pid 39622)
   AD2USB Alarm Interface          panelMsgRead: Connection Closed:
   AD2USB Alarm Interface          runConcurrentThread Process completed, Restarting
   Stopped plugin "AD2USB Alarm Interface 1.6.0"
Although I use a username and password to login to the web interface, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter those into the configuration dialog for the plugin. Could this have something to do with my problem?
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-05-03 16.21.29.jpg
Screenshot 2018-05-03 16.21.29.jpg (304.42 KiB) Viewed 682 times

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2018 7:14 pm
gt3mike offline

You need to downgrade the firmware on the AD2 device. Look back a page or two. The plugin doesn’t work with recent AD2 firmware.

Posted on
Thu May 03, 2018 7:16 pm
gt3mike offline

There’s also a very specific sequence in which you need to create devices in Indigo or it won’t work. The info you need is on the last handful of pages in this thread.

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 8:11 am
wikner offline

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I saw that, as I paged back through the 50+ pages in this discussion (is there some way to split this into separate topics about this plugin?). That raised a whole host of issues. I have no familiarity with Raspberry Pi nor its operating system. I bought this device as an appliance (read: works out-of-the-box), never dreaming that I would have to learn the RBP operating system to use it. I don't know how to upgrade or downgrade the firmware; the web interface to the device hangs when I go to Settings/Advanced/Firmware. Maybe there is some way to communicate with the device outside the web interface through Terminal, but I don't know what that is. The postings about downgrading the firmware assume the reader is familiar with how to do that; I am not. More disturbing are the recommendations, elsewhere in this long, long thread, that I should change the root password. What is the default user? What is the default password? How in the world do I change the password?

Meanwhile, prior to your posts, I decided to try this: I re-enabled the plug-in and changed the keypad address to the correct value, 18. Next I created a keypad device. The error messages stopped. Next I created 2 actions, one to arm stay (ad2usb-actions/arm-stay), and one to disarm (ad2usb-actions/write to panel (it should be "write to keypad")/<my-user-code>1. Both work. Perhaps there are other problems with the current firmware that I have yet to discover. I am still encountering errors with respect to the definition of zones. When I have characterized these more fully, I will be posting more questions. So, do I still need to downgrade?

A pointer to, or a brief discussion of, how to change the firmware would be appreciated.

A related question: How do you tell what the current firmware version is?

Sorry for all the angst, but I was hoping for a more finished product.

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 8:28 am
gt3mike offline

To get started I don't think you need to do anything with the Pi itself. The AD2 component is on a separate board on the Pi and it is administered directly. You can get to it via https://alarmdecoder.local/. You will probably have to ignore a security error in your browser when you do so, because the Pi doesn't have a certificate installed.

To get to firmware updates for the AD2, go to Settings -> Advanced -> Firmware Update. If that isn't working, you will need to contact the AD folks at ad2usb@support.nutech.com.

You need firmware 2.2a.6. You can find it here: http://www.alarmdecoder.com/downloads/f ... 2_2a_6.zip

Lastly, and I can't stress this enough -- it is critical that you set up the devices in Indigo a particular way.

Here are the notes I posted a couple of pages back.

1) Install AD2 hardware, downgrade firmware to 2.2a.6, and verify that AD2--panel communications is working properly (using the Mono or Web app).
2) Install the Indigo plugin and point it to the AD2 device.
3) Ignore initial errors in the Indigo log
4) Add a Keypad device
5) Add at least one alarm zone device.
6) Restart the plugin.

I'll add that you need to add an Indigo device for every single zone on your alarm. If you don't, then the plugin will start throwing errors as soon as a zone it doesn't recognize is faulted. At least that is what happens with my Vista 21ip panel.

Good luck!

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 9:01 am
wikner offline

Thanks. Maybe it is because I have a different panel (Ademco Vista-50P), but I am not seeing the behavior you describe. As I stated above, last night I reconfigured the plugin to point to the correct keypad address, restarted the plugin, ignored error messages in the log and created a keypad device. Then I restarted the plugin again. I have NOT downgraded the firmware, and I have NOT created any alarm zone devices. Since that time I have faulted multiple zones (there are 4 motion detectors in the house and they are constantly being faulted), but have received NO error messages of any kind.

As far as the web interface goes, I have been using the web appliance at https://alarmdecoder.local. Everything on that web site appeared to work, except that when I went to Settings/Advanced and clicked on Firmware Update the page wouldn't load. I just tried it again, and, although the page took about 20 seconds to load it did load, albeit with an error message (see attached).

Anyway, this morning I disarmed my alarm system from bed using Indigo Touch. I think I'll delay downgrading the firmware until I encounter further problems.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-05-04 08.56.14.jpg
Screenshot 2018-05-04 08.56.14.jpg (113.48 KiB) Viewed 626 times

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 am
wikner offline

OOPS! As soon as I tried to create a Zone device, I started getting error messages associated with those motion detectors:
May 4, 2018 at 9:43:51 AM
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    advancedReadZoneMessage: Error:'0004100'
Message from unrecognized Zone device: !RFX:0004100,c7

May 4, 2018 at 9:46:32 AM
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    advancedReadZoneMessage: Error:'0481596'
Message from unrecognized Zone device: !RFX:0481596,04

AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    advancedReadZoneMessage: Error:'1043972'
Message from unrecognized Zone device: !RFX:1043972,9d
This persists even after I delete the zone devices.
I guess I'll have to follow your advice after all :oops:

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 9:55 am
berkinet offline

wikner wrote:
OOPS! As soon as I tried to create a Zone device, I started getting error messages associated with those motion detectors:[code]May 4, 2018 at 9:43:51 AM
AD2USB Alarm Interface Error advancedReadZoneMessage: Error:'0004100'
Message from unrecognized Zone device: !RFX:0004100,c7...
Use Basic Mode instead of advanced mode. Advanced mode requires extra, complex, configuration that you have not done.

Posted on
Sat May 05, 2018 7:20 am
wikner offline

Well, I downgraded the firmware and did all the work of creating a device for each of my zones. I'm still getting errors, however. They seem to occur when zones are faulted. This morning, for example, I got up, disarmed the alarm using an action in Indigo touch, went out my front door to get the newspaper, walked into the kitchen and then into the dining room. In so doing, I faulted the front door, and motion sensors in the kitchen and dining room. As the screen shot shows, those zones are still shown as faulted, even though they are not. Here is the relevant section of the Indigo log.
May 5, 2018 at 6:24:49 AM
   Received INSTEON                "West Bedroom Ovhd" off
   Schedule                        Outside Light Semaphore Timer (delayed action)
   Received INSTEON                "Motion Front Door" on (button 1)
   Trigger                         Motion Front Door
   Action Group                    Record Video Front Door
   AD2USB Alarm Interface          Zone: 19 - Door Front Entry state changed to: (Faulted)
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    Error on line 791
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    panelMsgRead: Error: 105
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    panelMsgRead: Error: 105

May 5, 2018 at 6:26:03 AM
   AD2USB Alarm Interface Error    panelMsgRead: Error: 119

May 5, 2018 at 6:26:59 AM
   Received INSTEON                "Motion Front Door" off (button 1)

May 5, 2018 at 6:27:29 AM

May 5, 2018 at 6:53:14 AM
   Received INSTEON                "DR E Ovhd" on
   Received INSTEON                "DR Central Ovhd" on
   Indigo Cocoa client authenticated (192.168.15.75)
No errors occurred over night while no zones were being faulted. Any Ideas?
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-05-05 07.15.03.jpg
Screenshot 2018-05-05 07.15.03.jpg (414.68 KiB) Viewed 576 times

Posted on
Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 am
wikner offline

Here's another piece of info showing the error:
>>> indigo.devices["Alarm Keypad"].states['zoneFaultList']
u'[4, 5, 19]'
>>>

None of these zones were actually faulted at the time of execution.

Posted on
Sat May 05, 2018 11:23 am
berkinet offline

Could you set the debugging to a higher level and then send the log section covering the error as you included below.

wikner wrote:
AD2USB Alarm Interface Zone: 19 - Door Front Entry state changed to: (Faulted)
AD2USB Alarm Interface Error panelMsgRead: Error: 105

Posted on
Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 am
wikner offline

I set the highest debug mode then restarted the plugin. I sent you the results as a private message.

Page 51 of 56 1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56