2413U? Dual Band? Powerlinc w/RF....

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:31 pm
bschollnick2 offline
Posts: 1324
Joined: Oct 17, 2004
Location: Rochester, Ny

2413U? Dual Band? Powerlinc w/RF....

Folks,

http://www.smarthome.com/2413U/PowerLin ... and/p.aspx

This appears to be a 2412U but with built-in support for RF bridging? So no need for access points....?

Anyone hear about this or have more details?

Plus, have I mentioned that it's being priced at $22.97...

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 16108
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: 2413U? Dual Band? Powerlinc w/RF....

bschollnick2 wrote:
Folks,

http://www.smarthome.com/2413U/PowerLin ... and/p.aspx

This appears to be a 2412U but with built-in support for RF bridging? So no need for access points....?

Anyone hear about this or have more details?

Plus, have I mentioned that it's being priced at $22.97...


Interesting - when you search for 2413 it doesn't show up (I looked earlier this morning). Anyway, Matt's been testing it and it does indeed seem to be a 2412 with an Access Point built-in.

You should note that the price is a "Hot Deal" - the normal price will be $99.99. Also of note is a new LampLinc which is also dual-band (we've both been testing that - it's really quite nice). So, theoretically all you need is the new controller and the new lamplinc and you've got all the hardware necessary - you don't need Access Points any more.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:11 pm
berkinet offline
User avatar
Posts: 3400
Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA & Mougins, France

Re: 2413U? Dual Band? Powerlinc w/RF....

bschollnick2 wrote:
Folks,

http://www.smarthome.com/2413U/PowerLin ... and/p.aspx

This appears to be a 2412U but with built-in support for RF bridging? So no need for access points....?
Note to potential buyers. Use the link bschollnick provided above. If you search for this item on the Smarthome web site you will are likely to find the 2413S - the RS-232 version - which is probably not what you want, and is also not on sale.

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 pm
chrisla23 offline
Posts: 97
Joined: Sep 16, 2009

(No subject)

Looks like a mistake, price changed even though I already had one in the cart. No fair!

Order canceled.

-Chris

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 16108
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

(No subject)

chrisla23 wrote:
Looks like a mistake, price changed even though I already had one in the cart. No fair!

Order canceled.

-Chris


I suspected that was a mistake.... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:10 pm
gmusser offline
Posts: 265
Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Location: New Jersey

(No subject)

Smarthome is now taking pre-orders for the dual-band modules. What is their purpose?

And why would Smarthome re-issue the PowerLinc and LampLinc in a dual-band version, rather than put their efforts into expanding their range of products, such as RF wall switches?

George

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 16108
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

(No subject)

gmusser wrote:
Smarthome is now taking pre-orders for the dual-band modules. What is their purpose?

And why would Smarthome re-issue the PowerLinc and LampLinc in a dual-band version, rather than put their efforts into expanding their range of products, such as RF wall switches?

George


With these two products, SmartLabs just lowered the cost of entry because if you buy one of each, you no longer need any Access Points - they perform that function as well. Most people have a LampLinc and of course if they're using a computer to control their HA system they have a PLM (or PLC), so combining an Access Point into each of these products seems (to me at least) a good idea. Expanding the market is a good thing for everyone.

For those that already have Access Points and a PLM (or PLC) there may not be a huge benefit to these devices except, perhaps, improved RF performance with the added RF receivers.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 pm
seanadams offline
Posts: 489
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Saratoga, CA

(No subject)

I would expect the Dual-band products to be significantly better than a "electrical PLC/PLM + access point" bundle, because the dual band products would not require the signal to first traverse the electrical network before being put on the wireless band (and likewise in the receive direction too). Of course I am assuming they designed these in an integrated way and did not actually just stuff the old access point design in the same box.

This implies that in situations where the RF band is needed 1) the opportunity to lose the signal on its way to the access point is eliminated 2) the number of hops expended is reduced by 1 in each direction and 3) response time is sped up a little. Collectively that is a big improvement and could make the difference between some devices working reliably or not.

I think they envision dual-band nodes being pervasive, not merely for phase bridging or handheld devices. As they drive down the cost of the hardware it will eventually make sense for this to be the norm for all insteon devices.

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 pm
kpfriedberg offline

(No subject)

regarding the lamplinc, it looks like you lose the pass-through input, so you lose a plug if you will should you buy it, unlike the current, albeit bulkier model...is that right?

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:31 pm
kpfriedberg offline

(No subject)

seanadams wrote:
I would expect the Dual-band products to be significantly better than a "electrical PLC/PLM + access point" bundle, because the dual band products would not require the signal to first traverse the electrical network before being put on the wireless band (and likewise in the receive direction too). Of course I am assuming they designed these in an integrated way and did not actually just stuff the old access point design in the same box.

This implies that in situations where the RF band is needed 1) the opportunity to lose the signal on its way to the access point is eliminated 2) the number of hops expended is reduced by 1 in each direction and 3) response time is sped up a little. Collectively that is a big improvement and could make the difference between some devices working reliably or not.

I think they envision dual-band nodes being pervasive, not merely for phase bridging or handheld devices. As they drive down the cost of the hardware it will eventually make sense for this to be the norm for all insteon devices.


seanadams, any idea if your insteon health script will work with the 2413?

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 16108
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

(No subject)

kpfriedberg wrote:
regarding the lamplinc, it looks like you lose the pass-through input, so you lose a plug if you will should you buy it, unlike the current, albeit bulkier model...is that right?


Right - no passthrough port. I think that's one reason why it's so much smaller.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 16108
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

(No subject)

kpfriedberg wrote:
seanadams, any idea if your insteon health script will work with the 2413?


It should - the 2413 uses the same FTDI VCP driver that the 2412 uses and that his script is talking to.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm
seanadams offline
Posts: 489
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Saratoga, CA

(No subject)

kpfriedberg wrote:
seanadams, any idea if your insteon health script will work with the 2413?


Since Jay says it's a serial-like device then yes I will get one and make it work.

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 16108
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

(No subject)

seanadams wrote:
kpfriedberg wrote:
seanadams, any idea if your insteon health script will work with the 2413?


Since Jay says it's a serial-like device then yes I will get one and make it work.


From the serial communication standpoint, the 2412 and 2413 are identical - We didn't have to change anything make the 2413 work... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:52 am
bschollnick2 offline
Posts: 1324
Joined: Oct 17, 2004
Location: Rochester, Ny

(No subject)

Well, I just found out what I am getting for Christmas....

Shipment Dates
Ship date Dec 15, 2009
Estimated delivery Dec 26, 2009

Qty Description Price Total
1 2401L - KeypadLinc LED Kit, 4-color $6.49 $6.49
1 2413U - PowerLinc Modem USB (Dual-Band) $22.97 $22.97

So, not only do I have the "End of Time, Part 1" to look forward to... Now I have the 2413U coming...

I predict a review will be forthcoming... Once I have it, obviously...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests