International energy tariffs

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 5:05 am
howartp offline

International energy tariffs

Hi guys.

Help and advice please.

Below is a draft of one of the new device dialogs for this plugin.

Could you have a look at it with your local energy tariff (electric bill) struture in mind and see whether it accomodates your country's way of working?

It's obviously based on the UK structures that are commonly used, but if there's any international differences that I can accomodate as I develop the plugin then please let me know - or whether the structure shown is appropriate?

The plugin will be designed in GBP pounds and pence, but as long as your currency is 100 pence/cents/centimes to the pound/euro/dollar/franc then it will still work correctly.

TariffDialog.png
TariffDialog.png (127.13 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Thanks!

Peter

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 10:25 pm
mclass offline

Re: International energy tariffs

Hi Peter!

You’ve just about nailed it from my perspective here in Victoria, Australia. Your “daily Charge” is referred to as “Supply Charge” here, but the outcome is the same!

You may also like to make allowance in your plugin for solar “feed-in tariff” (FIT) that has the effect of reducing the bill - to the extent sometimes results in the account ending in credit!

Some electricity suppliers here also offer percentage discounts on supply and/or unit charges that are applied after summation of all charges to demonstrate what a great deal you’d getting. I guess these can be taken into account by applying them to the unit charges, but it might benefit users to place a reminder in the UI to include these discounts when entering the rates.

VAT (called GST here) can also be taken into account in the unit charges, but again a prompt in the UI may be beneficial (if there’s still room!!). Most retailers include the GST in the billing rate, others apply it at the end.

If you get the urge (!) to include gas in the plugin, it becomes a little more complicated as there is a “sliding scale” of usage (eg First 0 - 4800 MJ is at one tariff, with further “tranches” with different rates thereafter). I can send further details if that urge becomes overwhelming!!

You’re certainly busy churning out the plugins! Much appreciated.

Neil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2020 3:17 am
howartp offline

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think my post was invisible! Anyone else, feel free to respond!

Are you an ex-pat from UK, as you seem to have all the UK lingo sorted.

I wondered about Solar FiT and will be looking at it once the basic plugin is out, but I don't like how suppliers assume 50% export etc etc so I need to work it out a bit more.

VAT/GST is down to the users to include as you say.

Gas is certainly on the list - we're Dual Fuel here so i've purposedly made the plugin generic to accept gas when I get to it. Sliding scale is a good point, and I should be able to do that.

Can you explain the summation/discounts bit?

Peter

Posted on
Sat May 09, 2020 4:47 am
mclass offline

Hi Peter,

Aussie born and bred - just hard to write with an Australian accent!!

Retailers here (in Victoria) pay the FIT on actual energy exported. “Smart” energy meters were mandated sometime ago, and these provide the required data. Consumption (and export) data is available on the distributor’s website (generally on a daily basis) and there’s possibly an API to retrieve this. However, as my solar installation provides this data (I’m using the Enphase plugin) I have not bothered to investigate further.

The billing of discounts on electricity is a marketing ploy - the bill is presented and totalled at the retailer’s “normal” (standard) rate, and then any discount on supply or energy charges is calculated and applied to the bottom line so the discount is patently clear to the recipient.

The same outcome could be achieved by applying the discount to the unit rates before applying to time period and usage - but that wouldn’t demonstrate what a good deal the consumer was getting!!

For the purposes of the plugin, I was suggesting that users should be “reminded” to apply any applicable discounts to the unit rates when entering them in the UI.

Hope this helps!

Neil

Page 1 of 1