Sharing Indigo variables with HomeKit Bridge....

Posted on
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 pm
russg offline

Sharing Indigo variables with HomeKit Bridge....

First, let me say the HomeKit Bridge has been awesome! Next, let me say that I'm relatively new to Indigo, so forgive silly questions.

I use Indigo variables quite a bit in my configuration. I have many of these that I would like to be able to ask Siri to vocalize. For example, the variable 'alertType' might be 'Tornado Watch'. I'd like to be able to do 'Siri, what is the Alert Type' and receiving 'Tornado Watch' as a response. Unfortunately, this doesn't fit into the traditional device/actions sharing in HKB.

Is it possible to add variables to the HomeKit Server? If not, would it make sense for this to be a feature request?

Or, is there an existing device type that allows me to assign a text string to it such that it would be passed to HomeKit and thus Siri?

I currently have an OWSensor (one wire communications device that allows up to 20 sensors on one physical device) with 17 temperature sensors on it. Each of these sensors shows up as a temperature sensor. I can add each of these values as a temperature sensor in HBK with a unique name and then ask 'Siri, what is the water heater temperature?' and it returns the value. Similarly, could there be a custom device that would let me map Indigo variables to it's value, and then publish them to HK through the HKB?

Obviously, I don't understand the underlying model for HKB or Indigo limitations, but HKB seems like the best hope for publishing text strings (in my case environment variables) so that they can be queried through Siri.

Am I missing something obvious?

Any assistance appreciated! This would open up many venues for me.

thanks in advance,
-russg

Posted on
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 pm
rehafer offline

Re: Sharing Indigo variables with HomeKit Bridge....

You might actually want to look at Shortcuts. I’ve used Shortcuts plus Pythonista to access the Indigo RESTful API.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1