z-wave or insteon when replacing old switches and dimmers

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:41 pm
peszko offline

z-wave or insteon when replacing old switches and dimmers

I'm in the middle of replacing my insteon sensors with z-wave, but I also have quite a few Insteon switches with the I2 engine which are prone to spurious signals. I find that once in a while, all my I2 switches turn on or off ( a known problem). I think that the newer switches are programmed to ignore the all on insteon command, and the I2cs engine is generally better ad detecting corruption.

So with that in mind, would you recommend replacing those I2 switches with I2cs switches or with z-wave ones. I have around 150 devices in total, of which 33 are of the I2 verity. So either way a substantial cost for me.

Posted on
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: z-wave or insteon when replacing old switches and dimmer

I would suggest you get a few Z-Wave switches (HomeSeer HS-WD200+ / WS200+ recommended) and see what you think about them and decide from there. I still have a lot of Insteon switches but I'm using the WS200's for some locations where the LED functionality is very useful (to show arm status, garage door open/close status, door/window open/close status, etc.).

Posted on
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am
peszko offline

I think I'll do as you suggest. I have one of the HS-WD200 on order (out of stock till Feb). I'll order couple more when they will be back in stock and test them out.. I like the idea of the controllable LEDs as well.

P.S. I very much appreciate that you are always around and answering questions.

Posted on
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 am
Rock offline

Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:21 am
johnpolasek offline

For me, it's position and situation dependent; within the house, I've been migrating my Insteon motion detectors to Z-wave for some time; whenever any Insteon detector starts acting squirrelly and new batteries don't help (which seems to be an endemic problem a lot of folks have reported) I replace it with a Z-wave. And I've migrated single switches the same way for the same reason. But although I've had 4 of them go bad over the years, I'm sticking with the Insteon KeyhpadLincs because I haven't seen any Z-wave 8 button in box modules to match them. And in the detached metal garage, I'm pretty much stuck with insteon until somebody builds a Z-wave over WIFI or powerline relay; I've tested and the Z-wave signals will not propagate through the grounded metal walls. And as far as the six metal lamp posts down the driveway with Insteon micromodules inside, not even a Z-wave relay would help; they're probably going to be Insteon forever.

Page 1 of 1