To Mojave or not to Mojave

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 pm
rweil1 offline
Posts: 12
Joined: Sep 26, 2018

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

Im hoping for some help here, absolutely the worst with Mojave!

I have an iMac late 2014 with I7core running El Capitan, never had a problem with it or Indigo 7.1!

I had probably 50 Insteon devices running with zero problems. Then I had a power outage and thought I lost the PLM, installed a new one and started getting the garbage J10 status stuff. After sitting a couple of days I replugged the previous PLM and no more problems. A week later they started again. I needed to add a couple of new din-rail Insteon modules and the linking just wouldn't work but all existing devices worked fine. I upgraded to Indigo 7.2 and all went great, two trys and the new Insteon module linked and worked. My second module arrived and it also wouldn't link no matter what. I tried a new PLM and nothing but errors for multiple devices. So that in combination that the Ecobee plugin needed Mojave I decided to update the mac and everything worked great!!

Then I added a third module and once again nothing would link. I decided to try the FTDI workaround and now I can't even restart my iMac, stuck on the apple logo, not sure if the driver install is the problem at this point

I have since figured out through the recovery that i can directly boot to the system drive from there and that at least gets me back to the login page and gets the mac working again. Everything is now backed up to my Promise Pegasis thank goodness.

To continue the FDTI workaround I have since installed the driver and booted into recovery but can't get any farther

I have tried to follow the FTDI instructions and it tells me no such file or directory after I reboot into recovery and open the terminal window. I'm typing cd "/Volumes/Machintosh HD/" and Machintosh HD is my drive.

I have tried three PLMS and now I would like to try and finish the FTDI driver workaround to see if that's it

Any help is appreciated, none of my Insteon devices work with Indigo now
Attachments
2018-10-30 Events.txt
(329.51 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:48 pm
lanbrown offline
Posts: 727
Joined: Sep 26, 2017

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

Do you have encryption enabled, if so, then you need to mount your drive and enter the password for the drive.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:52 am
rweil1 offline
Posts: 12
Joined: Sep 26, 2018

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

I don’t know, whatever the defaults are for when Mojave was installed. I’ll research how to check this and mount the drive unless someone can reply with steps how to do that. I will try after work tonight to figure that out.

Thanks for the suggestion

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:46 am
Different Computers offline
User avatar
Posts: 1850
Joined: Jan 02, 2016
Location: East Coast

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

GlennNZ wrote:

But biggest problem for me - and considering going back... is the loss of the messages app script handler. (no more iMsg communication to from Indigo)


Did you see the new beta iMessage plugin that works with Mojave?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. 10.13.6 on an i5 MBP w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKit Bridge, MatplotLib, Plex, uniFAP, Wunderground, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Airfoil Pro, Grafana.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:50 am
autolog offline
Posts: 2461
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: West Sussex, UK [GMT+0]

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

Different Computers wrote:
GlennNZ wrote:

But biggest problem for me - and considering going back... is the loss of the messages app script handler. (no more iMsg communication to from Indigo)


Did you see the new beta iMessage plugin that works with Mojave?

I think he probably has! :lol:

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:50 am
rweil1 offline
Posts: 12
Joined: Sep 26, 2018

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

update,

OK,

I gave up after two hours with Apple support. Mojave just wont work on my 2015 mac mini without a major bug update. If you search for Mojave boot problems there is over a million people with this issue. They were able to give me the steps to install my original OS which is Yosemite but that required reformatting the drive.

The mac mini now boots with no problems, I have already messed up my PLEX reinstall as apparently I missed an important file that wasn't in the whole PLEX folder. That will be a project rebuilding but the media files are backed up.

Hopefully the Indigo reinstall tonight will go better. I will first install Indigo 7.2 and then copy everything over.

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 14894
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

rweil1 wrote:
I will first install Indigo 7.2 and then copy everything over.


FYI, that's actually backwards from how you should restore (basically the same as Moving an Indigo Install to another Mac).

The key is to rerun the installer after you've moved/restored your install folder. The permissions will most likely be wrong, and the Indigo installer will fix that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 pm
sarahcat offline
Posts: 71
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

I waited a couple of months and it looks like Indigo 7.2 running on Mojave is no better than on High Sierra, i.e., having the same interface driver bugs. On the other hands, it doesn't appear that it's substantially worse, other than some possible port naming issue. I guess I'll consider upgrading, now that I have upgraded my MBP for work to Mojave without any serious problems.

By the way, Jay and Matt, I like the fact that as of Indigo 7.2, you started imbedding the version name into the application name, so it's clear which version is running. I hope you plan to continue to do that.

Posted on
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:25 am
DaveL17 offline
User avatar
Posts: 4337
Joined: Aug 20, 2013
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

sarahcat wrote:
I waited a couple of months and it looks like Indigo 7.2 running on Mojave is no better than on High Sierra, i.e., having the same interface driver bugs.

Just in case others might misconstrue, the driver issues have nothing to do with Indigo whatsoever. These are OS bugs that Matt & Jay have no control over. They have reported these issues to Apple repeatedly and have received crickets in return.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm
sarahcat offline
Posts: 71
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

Just in case others might misconstrue, the driver issues have nothing to do with Indigo whatsoever. These are OS bugs that Matt & Jay have no control over. They have reported these issues to Apple repeatedly and have received crickets in return.


:!: :!: God no! It's not a bug in Indigo! I've not really had the problem with Sierra and High Sierra, running on a late 2012 Mac Mini. The 'bug' seems to be an interaction between the native driver in MacOS and certain Mac hardware, particularly older Mac hardware that is still capable of running newer MaOS versions. :!: :!:

Posted on
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 am
sarahcat offline
Posts: 71
Joined: Apr 16, 2011

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

I just upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave. The only problem I had momentarily was the port for the Z-Stick Gen5 and I changed it to USBModem in the dropdown box. All seems well after the upgrade. I've never seen the FTDI driver problem with this 6 year old Mini.

Posted on
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:24 pm
Chad_NE offline
User avatar
Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 19, 2018

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

I have searched the forums for the phrases "64 Bit" and "is not optimized for your Mac", but didn't see any appropriate matches.

Regarding Mojave, I am on MacOS 10.14.1 with Indigo 7.2. I am seeing the attached dialog, which reads:

"IndigoServ er.app" is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated.

I imagine a 64 bit version is in the works?
Attachments
2018-11-27_17-11-41.jpeg
2018-11-27_17-11-41.jpeg (24.42 KiB) Viewed 232 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 14894
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

Chad_NE wrote:
I imagine a 64 bit version is in the works?


Yes - we'll release it before it's required (likely in the next macOS version). It requires AppleScript deprecation (which we've discussed a lot), so when Apple backtracked and said Mojave would still allow them we decided to put it off a bit longer to give people extra time to figure out how to handle/convert their AppleScripts.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:27 pm
rweil1 offline
Posts: 12
Joined: Sep 26, 2018

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

Ok,

I thought I would update everyone. I ended up purchasing a new mac-mini which came with Mojave installed. There were no problems moving Indigo to the new mac-mini and so far no driver issues to report. I am only using an Insteon PLM. Thanks to everyone who previously gave suggestions! I do have a Z-wave interface but don't use it. I will try installing that to see how it does and report back here.

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm
mundmc offline
Posts: 359
Joined: Sep 14, 2012

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

I just jumped from Sierra (over High Sierra) to Mojave. No Insteon problems. Z-wave I had to re-select the serial (or whatever) in the config drop down in Indigo. No problems 2 months in, and Ecobee plugin works again with the new encryption.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests