Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

I've had my Indigo system running with Insteon products since 2009. It seems like all my original switchlinc dimmers i bought from Machomestore, are failing. These are all the original non-dualband. The led on the side randomly turns off, then it will turn back on. While it is off it will not work. I have 4 that are doing this, and it just really stinks to think i will need to replace 4 switches, then think all they new ones may fail as well.
So my question is, is there anyone that repairs them so i might be able to save some money?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:48 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline
User avatar
Posts: 2715
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Colorado

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

You've gotten a pretty good run out of that Insteon gear! I don't think there is much you can do to work on those since there aren't spare parts kits for them. You might Frankenstein a couple together from other switches but when they go they go generally.

I decided years ago that as my Insteon fails I swap it with Z-wave. Miles cheaper than Insteon and more 'mainstream'. I still have a LOT of Insteon so it'll be a while before I'm 100% Z-wave.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
You've gotten a pretty good run out of that Insteon gear! I don't think there is much you can do to work on those since there aren't spare parts kits for them. You might Frankenstein a couple together from other switches but when they go they go generally.

I decided years ago that as my Insteon fails I swap it with Z-wave. Miles cheaper than Insteon and more 'mainstream'. I still have a LOT of Insteon so it'll be a while before I'm 100% Z-wave.


I've thought about adding z-wave, but my understanding is they just work over rf? I have a two story house, and just wondering if the range is good if i just get the dongle for the computer, and only have a switch downstairs.
I will add, I'm getting adds on Facebook to get Insteon switchlinc for $29, 4th of July, with their sale i got Two switchlinc dimmers for $55 shipped


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:10 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline
User avatar
Posts: 2715
Joined: Jul 20, 2009
Location: Colorado

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Z-wave's reliably is pretty good and the more devices you put into your system the more reliable and meshed it becomes. I never tried having my first Z-wave far from the Mac where my Z-stick is plugged in but it was a weaker motion sensor device that was 30 feet away, through walls diagonally, and it worked excellently. As I have added more and more Z-wave I can say that it is rock solid pretty much 100% of the time.

Battery operated devices don't repeat but maybe your first replacement can be a switch or outlet that is closer to the Indigo Mac, then move out from there and I bet you will have zero issues.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:29 am
lanbrown offline
Posts: 586
Joined: Sep 26, 2017

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Battery operated devices don't repeat but maybe your first replacement can be a switch or outlet that is closer to the Indigo Mac, then move out from there and I bet you will have zero issues.


+1 on that. I wouldn't get a repeater. Why not just replace a switch or outlet for about the same money and get the same functionality?

Maybe you could move an Insteon switch to replace the one further out and buy a Z-wave switch that would be closer to the Mac. More work moving things around, but would be a migration path.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 14648
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

When people experience Insteon issues, I normally point them towards Z-Wave which is generally a more reliable protocol. However, if your only issue is that you have switches that are 8-9 years old that are dying but otherwise are not having any issues, then I'd probably just replace them. 8-9 years of life on a smart switch seems normal, if not reasonable.

But Z-Wave is a better, faster, more reliable protocol than Insteon so there's that to factor in. If any of those switches use direct Insteon links to other devices (not via Indigo Triggers) then you'll probably want to replace them with new SwitchLincs.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

jay (support) wrote:
When people experience Insteon issues, I normally point them towards Z-Wave which is generally a more reliable protocol. However, if your only issue is that you have switches that are 8-9 years old that are dying but otherwise are not having any issues, then I'd probably just replace them. 8-9 years of life on a smart switch seems normal, if not reasonable.

But Z-Wave is a better, faster, more reliable protocol than Insteon so there's that to factor in. If any of those switches use direct Insteon links to other devices (not via Indigo Triggers) then you'll probably want to replace them with new SwitchLincs.


I guess the next question then is, i remember back when lowes started caring iris, i know it is z-wave, at first i remember the support for them was hit or miss at the beginning, will the lowes product work? If so that makes life easier being able to get stuff local!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:16 am
Different Computers offline
User avatar
Posts: 1838
Joined: Jan 02, 2016
Location: East Coast

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Quite a bit of Iris stuff is Zigbee.

However, Lowe's does sell GE Z-wave switches that work with Indigo. Not sure I've ever seen Lowe's prices on them be very good though.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. 10.13.6 on an i5 MBP w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKit Bridge, MatplotLib, Plex, uniFAP, Wunderground, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Airfoil Pro, Grafana.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Different Computers wrote:
Quite a bit of Iris stuff is Zigbee.

However, Lowe's does sell GE Z-wave switches that work with Indigo. Not sure I've ever seen Lowe's prices on them be very good though.


Sorry guess i am mistaken, thought i remembered seeing z-wave on something they had.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:40 am
lanbrown offline
Posts: 586
Joined: Sep 26, 2017

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

I've bought some from Lowe's before, there were not that much more than from Amazon. Free shipping with Amazon, still had to pay sales tax and for a couple of bucks more, get it right now.

All of my switches are the GE (actually Jasco), one GE outlet, two "outdoor" GE outlets and a few Enerwave ones.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Posts: 14648
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Iris does both Zigbee and Z-Wave so you'll see a mix of devices.

+1 on getting from Amazon particularly if you're a Prime member (free shipping and all that). Significantly better selection, usually better prices, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:08 pm
lanbrown offline
Posts: 586
Joined: Sep 26, 2017

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

I've seen Lowe's have them on sale at times and they were around the price of Amazon. I bought all six Lowe's had in stock at the time; they were a tad cheaper than Amazon.

Another time, Lowe's was $3 more on the 3-way switch over Amazon and for the sake of convenience, I went to Lowe's.

Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests