DoorBird Review

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:19 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Re: DoorBird Review

lanbrown wrote:
I'll just have to put a firewall in L-2 mode (transparent) firewall between Indigo and the cameras. Indigo has access from the Internet to hit it, so I want to separate the inbound DMZ from the cameras that won't have access from the Internet in.

Sir, you are far more knowledgeable then me in the dark arts of network wizardry! :D
So it sounds like your only outstanding issue is that the custom states (firmware, mac_address, etc..) are missing from the DoorBird device? Is that still the case? What model and firmware are you on?

agame wrote:
One quirk though: one of the DoorBirds (the second to be created, the D101) shows the motion sensor device with the motion sensor icon. The other just shows the usual grey/green dot. But looking at their Device Details, both list the model as 'motion sensor'.

Thanks for testing, I think you'll find that the first time it detects motion it will change to the correct icon (and stay that way). I tried to make it display correctly as soon as the device is added but couldn't make it work.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:39 pm
lanbrown offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
lanbrown wrote:
I'll just have to put a firewall in L-2 mode (transparent) firewall between Indigo and the cameras. Indigo has access from the Internet to hit it, so I want to separate the inbound DMZ from the cameras that won't have access from the Internet in.

Sir, you are far more knowledgeable then me in the dark arts of network wizardry! :D
So it sounds like your only outstanding issue is that the custom states (firmware, mac_address, etc..) are missing from the DoorBird device? Is that still the case? What model and firmware are you on?

Compared to the dark arts of scripting/coding?

It is running firmware 000112 and it is a D2101V. The custom states are missing but it doesn't hinder the use of the device. I did create a user just for Indigo to use but it does have full access...at least for now. Get it working and then restrict it later.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 pm
kwijibo007 offline

lanbrown wrote:
It is running firmware 000112 and it is a D2101V. The custom states are missing but it doesn't hinder the use of the device.

Strange, this is the exact same model / firmware as my unit. The plugin updates this info everything the Doorbird device "turns on" or the plugin is restarted.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 pm
lanbrown offline

I'm not going to worry about what I view as an isolated cosmetic bug. The plugin works, the MAC, etc. is not required as I have a name to the device and they are assigned an address via a static reservation. So the IP address won't change.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:42 am
agame offline

I've tested one of my 2 DoorBirds (2101), running firmware 000112:
-motion sensing is working perfectly.
-as predicted, the icons are now motion sensor (and changing state)
-but bell press throws the following error:

Code: Select all
   DoorBird Error                  Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 114, in runConcurrentThread
  File "plugin.py", line 550, in udp_message
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, int found

DoorBird Error                  plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

edit:

tested the second, running firmware 000111 ... (I gather software updates for Doorbird are not ordinarily able to be end-user initiated?)
Doorbell press returns the same error as above.
I cant see any Doorbird plugin motion events in the log (I can, however, see http requests coming in from the previous implementation - I see these on the other device too where the plugin motion sensing is happily co-existing with the old method ).

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:48 am
kwijibo007 offline

agame wrote:
bell press throws the following error

The plugin error is a silly casting mistake I made in the code. I've updated the plugin .0.3.0 to fix it. What it tells me though is that your Doorbird is not sending the expected 3 byte identifier as documented in the API. The first 3 bytes of the UDP packet should be 0xDE 0xAD 0xBE (14593470) . Could you please update the plugin, enable debug logging in the plugin preferences and try again?

You should get a debug message reporting "Unknown packet identifier". Could you please paste this message?

The Doorbird sends multiple packets per event (4 for each user if both UDP ports are enabled in the plugin prefs). It may be that only one of these packets had/has a strange identifier. The doorbell may very well work (and display the debug message.)

Pete

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:00 am
kwijibo007 offline

agame wrote:
tested the second, running firmware 000111 ... (I gather software updates for Doorbird are not ordinarily able to be end-user initiated?)
Doorbell press returns the same error as above.
I cant see any Doorbird plugin motion events in the log (I can, however, see http requests coming in from the previous implementation - I see these on the other device too where the plugin motion sensing is happily co-existing with the old method ).

Yeah, the firmware update method is archaic at best. I can see it being a challenge when future firmware updates break the plugin without warning...

berkinet is also running 000111 and has no motion events trigged. I suspect a different event code is sent with this firmware. These event codes aren't documented, I just read what my unit was sending. Turning debugging on, please paste the output from a log showing "Unknown event". This will tell me the event code which I can then incorporate.

Pete

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
agame wrote:
.... I've updated the plugin .0.3.0

0 Jul 2018 at 12:03:16
Stopping plugin DoorBird (pid 58487)
Stopped plugin DoorBird
Upgrading plugin DoorBird to newer version 0.3.0 (previous version moved to trash)
Loading plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"
Starting plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 58749)
DoorBird Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

File "plugin.py", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: No module named pysodium

Stopping plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 58749)
Stopped plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:09 am
kwijibo007 offline

berkinet wrote:

That's very strange? I can see the pysodium module in the package? On GitHub too? Could you please delete the plugin and re-install it?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
...That's very strange? I can see the pysodium module in the package? On GitHub too? Could you please delete the plugin and re-install it?

No change

v0.3.0 of plugin DoorBird is already installed but is disabled (enabling)
    Loading plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"
    Starting plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 59718)
    DoorBird Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Stopping plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 59718)
    Stopped plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:50 am
berkinet offline

berkinet wrote:
kwijibo007 wrote:
...That's very strange? I can see the pysodium module in the package? On GitHub too? Could you please delete the plugin and re-install it?

However, the module is not there:
    Casa-Milagro-Library:Plugins rdp$ ls -lR DoorBird\ 12.45.29.indigoPlugin/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 4 rdp 501 136 Jul 30 12:01 Contents

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents:
    total 8
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 685 Jul 30 12:01 Info.plist
    drwxr-xr-x 3 rdp 501 102 Jul 30 12:01 Server Plugin

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents/Server Plugin:
    total 48
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 24476 Jul 30 12:01 plugin.py

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:58 am
berkinet offline

berkinet wrote:
berkinet wrote:
kwijibo007 wrote:

However, the module is not there:
    Casa-Milagro-Library:Plugins rdp$ ls -lR DoorBird\ 12.45.29.indigoPlugin/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 4 rdp 501 136 Jul 30 12:01 Contents

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents:
    total 8
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 685 Jul 30 12:01 Info.plist
    drwxr-xr-x 3 rdp 501 102 Jul 30 12:01 Server Plugin

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents/Server Plugin:
    total 48
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 24476 Jul 30 12:01 plugin.py

Problem solved. I was using the plugin from there GitHub desktop directory. For whatever reason, it was incomplete. Perhaps I updated my cache at the same time you were asking a change. Anyway, I downloaded the zip and all is well.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:03 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
...berkinet is also running 000111 and has no motion events trigged. I suspect a different event code is sent with this firmware. These event codes aren't documented, I just read what my unit was sending. Turning debugging on, please paste the output from a log showing "Unknown event". This will tell me the event code which I can then incorporate.
debugging under 0.1.0 showed nothing. I will try on 0.3.0

However, I am still running the DoorBird server and have legacy http calls for doorbell, dooropen and motionsensor. I do not know if that would keep the broadcasts from being sent... I would think not.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:11 am
kwijibo007 offline

Ok, I think I can see what's happening. Take a look here: https://www.doorbird.com/changelog

The change log for 000112 mentions "broadcast for motion events". I think this means that 000112 added support for UDP motion events. It looks like 000111 simply doesn't send it.

I wonder if there's a way to force the firmware update?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:41 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
...I wonder if there's a way to force the firmware update?

I think not...
On 20-July berkinet emailed DoorBird support and wrote:
My DoorBird is still on firmware release 000111. I have tried restarting it, but it
does not update. Is 000112 still being rolled out? And, when might I expect the
update?

and later that day DoorBird support responded and wrote:
DoorBird devices are updated automatically. We will begin rolling out firmware 000112 in the next 1-2 weeks.

The response was a little odd since some people already had 000112. But, it has also only been 10 days since their email, So, I will wait a little before bugging them again.

Page 8 of 11 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11