DoorBird Review

Posted on
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:44 pm
lanbrown offline

Re: DoorBird Review

I will preface this with the fact I have the IP door chime, so not entirely sure how it works with a regular door bell ringer. A schedule you can control how the DoorBird will react at that time. Say for example a kid takes a nap at say between 2 and 3 PM. You could set it so the DoorBird would not ring the doorbell at that time.

Maybe at 2PM every Monday the yard people are doing their job and you don't want the DoorBird doing what it would normally do, you can alter the behavior for that time. Like the motion not being a trigger.

Posted on
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:02 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Ok Cool. Thanks.

Sounds like a great feature. I’ll get up to speed with it.

Posted on
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:24 am
lanbrown offline

It can be useful at times. Obviously it could be accomplished outside of Indigo. Oh, going to add the RFID as well? Not sure how you would do it, but the new models have RFID support in them and they even give you a token to use it.

Posted on
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 am
kwijibo007 offline

Yeah, I’m really keen to add RFID support. It’s not currently supported in the new the UDP monitoring protocol but looks like it will be added in the next firmware update.

Posted on
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 am
tazswe offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
My Doorbird's arrived and I've ben having bit of play with it.

I've figured out the encryption component and can receive events from the unit. Firmware v12 (latest version)appears to only send doorbell pushed and motion detected events. I've done some research and it looks firmware v13 might add door unlocked events.

So I was initially thinking of exposing multiple devices within the plugin. A sensor device for doorbell, a sensor device for motion, a switch device for the IR lights and a lock device for the door strike.

There's two issues I can see:

1. Currently we can't determine when the door strike is triggered (should be fixed in an upcoming firmware release). Currently this makes a lock device fairly useless.

2. We can't determine when the IR Light is on (when triggered by motion or within the Doorbid app). This also makes the IR light device fairly useless. No ETA on if/when support for this will be added.

For version 1 of the plugin I was thinking of exposing just two sensor devices - motion and doorbell. The plugin will include actions for unlocking the door and turning on the IR lights. That way we can still control the door strike and IR lights in a basic manor from Indigo.

I will include more devices in future plugin versions as the Doorbid API evolves.

Any thoughts? Better ideas? Improvements?

Pete

I have 2 Doorbirds running.

Turning on the IR on movements would be an improvement, it’s very often dark faces and sunny backgrounds on my photos.
With IR they might get som light in their faces even if it’s during daytime.

Another problem is that the masking of the images don’t affect the motionsensor, one of my Doorbirds are faceing a road with a lot of action. I am forced to use SecuritySpy and their masking to get it right.

Looking forward to improvements.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:26 pm
agame offline

That implementation model you discuss would be tremendous. I assume you'd expect to continue using SecuritySpy or similar to manage recording?

Regarding DoorBirds facing the street:

- the latest generation of devices allow configuration of the movement sensor based on distance and direction of movement from the sensor, in addition to the usual field-of-view masking. It isn't perfect ( I'm an extreme case only 2 metres from the footpath) however I receive far fewer false positives on my newer installation than the first generation device (which I've reused on a less exposed rear entry) - certainly much better than using Security Spy to mask given the road/footpath are impractical to fully mask, and I also have moving shadows from nearby trees that trigger false-positives.
- Before I had the new sensor available I installed an Aeotec multisensor overhead on my verandah facing the door & intercom, I still use this as my primary motion sensing device as there are no false positives at all. The battery lasts 6 or 9 months.

Regarding bright backgrounds:

I have the same problem. This is something DoorBird definitely can work on. I've improved it by switching on the front veranda lighting when movement or bell press is detected (I use a high powered dimmable LED bulb that I brighten when required). Adjusting brightness, contrast etc don't seem to be much help. I've actually switched off the IR light completely (I find the color image much better than black & white IR mode at night, even in ambient street lighting).

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:47 am
kwijibo007 offline

I've banged together an initial beta release of the plugin. Really interested in your feedback / bugs / etc. Particurarly anyone with multiple DoorBirds as I only have one.

https://github.com/kwijibo007/DoorBird

The plugin presents 3 devices, a Doorbird device, a motion sensor and a doorbell. Hopefully it's fairly explanatory. The Doorbird device reads UDP keep alive packets form the Doorbird and shows as "on" if it's recently received a packet and "off" after 30 seconds (configerable) of no activity. It also has actions to trigger the IR light and relays.

I'll add more features (scheduling, etc.) later. My DoorBird is still sitting on my desk. I need to mount it and fully understand all the functionality.

I'll put together some full documentation over the next few days.

Pete

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
I've banged together an initial beta release of the plugin. Really interested in your feedback / bugs / etc....
...The plugin presents 3 devices, a Doorbird device, a motion sensor and a doorbell. Hopefully it's fairly explanatory. ...

Thanks for the work on this. So, I have installed and done a quick test on my D201S, firmware 000111.
  • On first install of the DoorBird device I mistyped the IP address and Indigo went out for a long, lunch, dinner... I killed Indigo client, reconfigured the device and all is well. Needs some better error handing.
  • I created a motion device. No joy. No reports of motion, neither from the areas that are not masked, nor from the masked areas (as are reported under the old API).
  • Created a Doorbell device and a trigger on it's on/off state. That worked. Though, I did notice it triggered twice on a single button press event. Not a big deal, as I can debounce the input in Indigo. But, I wasn't sure if the API sent two events, or the plugin fired twice.
And, a comment: I saw that the DoorBird device actually logs Doorbell events, and I assume, motion events. But, there is no way to suppress this logging or trigger on the events. So, maybe you could simplify the plugin and have only one device, the DoorBird, with states to track doorbell press and motion events.

Anyway, nice start!

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:12 am
lanbrown offline

I'm getting this error message:
Code: Select all
   DoorBird Error                  Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 328, in actionControlGeneral
AttributeError: 'Plugin' object has no attribute 'burst'

Also if you stop or reload the plugin, Indigo has to force it to stop.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:06 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Thanks for testing guys.

berkinet wrote:
On first install of the DoorBird device I mistyped the IP address and Indigo went out for a long, lunch, dinner... I killed Indigo client, reconfigured the device and all is well. Needs some better error handing.

Thanks, I'll take a look

berkinet wrote:
I created a motion device. No joy. No reports of motion, neither from the areas that are not masked, nor from the masked areas (as are reported under the old API).

Can you please enable debug looking in the plugin preferences? You should then see a debug message referencing an unknown event. Could you please paste the output? I have firmware 000112, I suspect there is a different event code being used.

berkinet wrote:
Created a Doorbell device and a trigger on it's on/off state. That worked. Though, I did notice it triggered twice on a single button press event. Not a big deal, as I can debounce the input in Indigo. But, I wasn't sure if the API sent two events, or the plugin fired twice.

Thanks, I'll take a look

berkinet wrote:
And, a comment: I saw that the DoorBird device actually logs Doorbell events, and I assume, motion events. But, there is no way to suppress this logging or trigger on the events. So, maybe you could simplify the plugin and have only one device, the DoorBird, with states to track doorbell press and motion events.

Good pickup, thanks. I've released version 0.2.0 which includes a fix to log the correct names. Could you please update? I like the seperate devices personally, but am open to changing it if there is consensus?

lanbrown wrote:
I'm getting this error message:
Code: Select all
DoorBird Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 328, in actionControlGeneral
AttributeError: 'Plugin' object has no attribute 'burst'

Also if you stop or reload the plugin, Indigo has to force it to stop.

Thanks. Version 0.2.0 includes a fix to the "burst" error. Could you please update?

Pete

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:01 pm
lanbrown offline

Updated and the error is gone. I can see that Indigo connects to the DoorBird on TCP/80, a bit of data is exchanged and then the session is closed out. If I click on send status update, nothing goes out towards the DoorBird and the DoorBird, motion and bell all shows their state as off. My DoorBird does sit on a different network from Indigo. Besides that communication on TCP/80, there is no other traffic.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:35 pm
kwijibo007 offline

lanbrown wrote:
I can see that Indigo connects to the DoorBird on TCP/80, a bit of data is exchanged and then the session is closed out.

It appears that it's connecting to your DoorBird, can you fire one of the actions (energize relay or IR Lights) and confirm if they work physically on the DoorBird? Also, are the custom states for the DoorBird device populated (FIRMWARE, BUILD, MAC, etc..)?

lanbrown wrote:
If I click on send status update, nothing goes out towards the DoorBird and the DoorBird, motion and bell all shows their state as off.

Yeah, Send Status Update doesn't do anything at the moment. I'll make it do something to avoid confusion.

lanbrown wrote:
My DoorBird does sit on a different network from Indigo. Besides that communication on TCP/80, there is no other traffic.

I think this is the main issue (assuming you have a recent firmware version). The DoorBird is sending UDP packet broadcasts on port 6524 and port 35344 to its local network. As your DoorBird is on another network segment you will need to do some fancy network config to re-broadcast the packets through to the network segment that Indigo is on. I'm no expert but I think this is something usually only possible with enterprise grade comms gear. Do you have the option of putting the DoorBird on your Indigo network?

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:31 pm
lanbrown offline

Enterprise gear, that is what is sued but UDP broadcast is not something that is allowed through a firewall. So, in the interim I placed the Indigo server on the same network via a second NIC...well vNIC. No default router (gateway) on it, but it resides on the same network. After I added the NIC to macOS and gave it an IP address, it now at least shows that the DoorBird is online. The firmware still shows nothing though. I even disabled the firewall in macOS and restarted the plugin, no firmware level.

I did execute energizing the IR light and I had the DoorBird app running on my phone and I could see it go from color to the black/white IR. So that was successful.

I'll just have to put a firewall in L-2 mode (transparent) firewall between Indigo and the cameras. Indigo has access from the Internet to hit it, so I want to separate the inbound DMZ from the cameras that won't have access from the Internet in.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:46 pm
agame offline

I've just configured 2 DoorBirds with the plugin: a D101 and a D2101.

I've done it remotely so I cant test properly for a few hours when I'll be physically there - its pulling in the custom states correctly for both however so basic connectivity certainly works. One quirk though: one of the DoorBirds (the second to be created, the D101) shows the motion sensor device with the motion sensor icon. The other just shows the usual grey/green dot. But looking at their Device Details, both list the model as 'motion sensor'.

(I much prefer separate devices BTW).

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:57 pm
lanbrown offline

So far it appears to be working. I created a trigger to turn a light on when it detected motion and low and behold, it turned the light on. There was a delay though, but livable.

Page 7 of 11 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11