Android Client

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Are you interested in a native Android App (a la Indigo Touch - Indigoid??)?





38
10
46

Posted on
Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:22 pm
roussell offline
User avatar
Posts: 1108
Joined: Aug 18, 2008
Location: Alabama

Re: Android Client

I've started development of an Android client. The working title of the app is 'Andigo Touch' (ha, get it?) and in the first phase I intend to duplicate the functionality of the IOS version of iTouch, then in subsequent revisions add some Android-specific functionality. So far I have the app presenting read-only views of the Devices, Actions and Variables screens. Over the next few days I'll get those screens in a read/write mode and add the 'Settings' page. I'll add the Control Page tab last, I'm guessing it'll be the most difficult and I need a few small victories before beat down by control pages...

I only have a Nexus 7 to test with. This is most likely the tablet I'll use in several locations in my house. I'll test on the Android simulator for various resolutions but the closer you are to a N7 in specs the better off you'll be. Likewise, I'm starting by including support as far back as Android 2.2, but I expect that minimum to change the further along I get. There are certain features I'd like to support (Near Field Communication as one example) that simply didn't exist back in those days. I'll try to always try to support as far back as possible though.

Unless I hit a snag, I'll get the app at least replicating most of the functionality in the IOS version of Indigo Touch, then I'll start sharing the apk and source. I intend the app to always be free adn would like to share the source. This most likely means side-loading the application and not installing it through the play store. I'll defer any final decisions (except the free part, that's definite) until there is actually something to share. If Jay and Matt decide it's worthy of the Google Play store, then they'l be welcome to do that. I'll let them have first choice - when the time comes.

I'll start a new thread, and will post the progress there. I've also got a high-level roadmap of features I'd like to incorporate in an Android version and will include those in the 'official' thread... If I don't post somthing in a week then start nagging me. I want/need to get this done for my house, but life gets in the way of fun stuff and my wife likes to set my priorities for me :?

Terry

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm
richy240 offline
Posts: 110
Joined: Jul 08, 2012

Re: Android Client

I don't use an Android device, but Indigo Touch (which itself is badly in need of an update) is the ONE thing that makes switching from iOS to Android impossible for me. I will be watching this with great interest. :D

Posted on
Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:44 am
asw24b offline
Posts: 222
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA

Re: Android Client

roussell wrote:
I've started development of an Android client. The working title of the app is 'Andigo Touch' (ha, get it?) and in the first phase I intend to duplicate the functionality of the IOS version of iTouch, then in subsequent revisions add some Android-specific functionality. So far I have the app presenting read-only views of the Devices, Actions and Variables screens. Over the next few days I'll get those screens in a read/write mode and add the 'Settings' page. I'll add the Control Page tab last, I'm guessing it'll be the most difficult and I need a few small victories before beat down by control pages...

I only have a Nexus 7 to test with. This is most likely the tablet I'll use in several locations in my house. I'll test on the Android simulator for various resolutions but the closer you are to a N7 in specs the better off you'll be. Likewise, I'm starting by including support as far back as Android 2.2, but I expect that minimum to change the further along I get. There are certain features I'd like to support (Near Field Communication as one example) that simply didn't exist back in those days. I'll try to always try to support as far back as possible though.

Unless I hit a snag, I'll get the app at least replicating most of the functionality in the IOS version of Indigo Touch, then I'll start sharing the apk and source. I intend the app to always be free adn would like to share the source. This most likely means side-loading the application and not installing it through the play store. I'll defer any final decisions (except the free part, that's definite) until there is actually something to share. If Jay and Matt decide it's worthy of the Google Play store, then they'l be welcome to do that. I'll let them have first choice - when the time comes.

I'll start a new thread, and will post the progress there. I've also got a high-level roadmap of features I'd like to incorporate in an Android version and will include those in the 'official' thread... If I don't post somthing in a week then start nagging me. I want/need to get this done for my house, but life gets in the way of fun stuff and my wife likes to set my priorities for me :?

Terry



If it is an NDK app, will you please also compile it for Intel architecture ?

(I can test it...)


Thanks !

Mike

Posted on
Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 am
gtreece offline
Posts: 169
Joined: Sep 26, 2011

Re: Android Client

I think it would be a great extension to the product to have an Android app. That being said, with the multiple entry points/prices/sizes on the iOS side now, it's unlikely I'll put in anything other than iOS devices as my remotes. When the lowest entry point to iOS was $500, I experimented with CPs on other devices, but the experience was just not as pleasingly fast as the native iOS app. I would rate that my 'killer' feature, and one that I think is a must for the Android side, that it be fast.

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:26 am
anode offline
Posts: 696
Joined: May 27, 2007
Location: NC

Re: Android Client

+1 (and also for the GTV. going to need a new tv soon.)

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 am
roussell offline
User avatar
Posts: 1108
Joined: Aug 18, 2008
Location: Alabama

Re: Android Client

gtreece wrote:
I think it would be a great extension to the product to have an Android app. That being said, with the multiple entry points/prices/sizes on the iOS side now, it's unlikely I'll put in anything other than iOS devices as my remotes. When the lowest entry point to iOS was $500, I experimented with CPs on other devices, but the experience was just not as pleasingly fast as the native iOS app. I would rate that my 'killer' feature, and one that I think is a must for the Android side, that it be fast.


I've considered the same thing, especially since you can now find 1st gen iPads for $200-$250 fairly easy. The biggest problem I have with an iDevice on the wall is that I want it ultimately do more than just be a touch screen. As a short feature list (after finishing basic functionality) I wish to incorporate the following functionality into the Andigo Touch app at some point in the future (note this just is a pie-in-the-sky wish list at this point):

    Utilize the device's camera as a web/security cam
    Utilize the NFC/bluetooth/proximity receiver as a location sensor
    Push (configurable) GPS coordinates back to Indigo
    Support the notion of client plugins (not sure how to do that yet)
    Allow the app to run in 'Kiosk mode' and launch at device startup/restart
    Have the device function as an Airplay (or other streaming) receiver
    IP-based intercom
    Temperature monitor (possibly using a USB temp sensor)

The most important to me at this point are the kiosk, camera, and 'plugins'. There are certain UI functions that I need that just aren't available with Indigo today. For UI 'plugins' I've thought along the lines of HTML 5 and a client mod that looks for an existing Indigo widget and acts a certain way based on the widgets contents. For example: You create a blank control page and place a label in the CP that has the text "webview: http://server/webcams/driveway.php" - when Andigo touch encounters this label on this CP it understands that instead of displaying the label with the above text, it should instead load an HTML 5 based page located at the URL listed in the label. There could be other tags as needed but I'd probably start with the webview tag as that could allow the most custom functionality.

As to progress this past week; it's been slow. Not from technical difficulties, but from having the time to devote to the effort. I hope to be able to spend more time this week and get something out to you guys to play with soon - even if it's minus the Control page tab for now.

@asw24b - I'll take a look at Intel support but no promises at this point. I'm mainly targeting the Google Nexus 7 because I liked the price-point and features of the tablet (and that's what I bought and have sitting around idle in my house). It'll most likely be after finishing basic functionality. I do intend on releasing the source so as a last resort those that want to support additional architectures can do so.

I may also buy this tablet to try out: http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo-10-hero-ii-10-1-inch-quad-core-tablet-pc-dual-camera-wifi-hdmi-bluetooth-gps-16gb.html to try as it has a better price point that the Nexus 7, is a 10" tablet and has essentially the same features.

Terry
Last edited by roussell on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 pm
hughjc offline
Posts: 9
Joined: Dec 15, 2012

Re: Android Client

macpro wrote:
This is an Apple only house so I'm not interested.
But I can imagine other people are.


Mine is an apple house too but I have found several inexpensive android tablets ($49-$79) to use a keypads mounted to the wall to control Indigo. I use them with the web browser right now with control pages and they work great. A dedicated android app may be a little snappier though.

Hugh

Posted on
Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:43 am
gtreece offline
Posts: 169
Joined: Sep 26, 2011

Re: Android Client

roussell wrote:
The biggest problem I have with an iDevice on the wall is that I want it ultimately do more than just be a touch screen


I started out thinking I'd have them mounted to the walls. After some informal testing, I discovered that it's more functional to have them sitting out like any remote would sit out. It not only means it's within reach when you need it, but it's also available for other functions if you so choose, and frankly, it's a lot less work to position a charge dock on night stands, end tables, etc., than it is to hard mount to a wall.

I think I've all but abandoned having them hard mounted, realizing they'll get used more if their in people's hands.

I'm experimenting with control pages on a 21" touchscreen hooked to a Mac Mini running the Plainview browser, that I may still mount somewhere as a master control screen, and to have a little 'ooooh, ahhh' factor.

Posted on
Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 am
toille27 offline
User avatar
Posts: 233
Joined: Jul 18, 2011
Location: Doylestown PA

Re: Android Client

Just curious if there was any more progress on this item? My house is a mix of apple and android devices. I've been using the web based controls with the android devices but I prefer the native app on the apple devices.

Posted on
Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 pm
ericwass offline
Posts: 40
Joined: Feb 10, 2010

Re: Android Client

Wondering how Rousell is doing on that Android client. I recently made the jump after being a diehard iPhone user. While I get by on the web client, Indigo Touch is one of the biggest things I'm missing.

Posted on
Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:18 am
roussell offline
User avatar
Posts: 1108
Joined: Aug 18, 2008
Location: Alabama

Re: Android Client

Sorry for the lack of updates - I've had to travel a lot for work lately and have had zero free time to work on the client. I still want to finish it, or at least get it to a usable state so that others that take it and grow it.

I still plan on using Android tablets, but personally I may end up using a web-based client. I prefer the flexibility of HTML5/CSS3/Javascript to what's available in the native Indigo client. Things like popups overlays, custom menus, list boxes, embedded movies (security cams) and the like are just WAY to simple to do with the above technologies. With the power of the Nexus 7 and the ability to freely mod the OS as I need, I can make a solid, reliable touchscreen for my home's HA and AV.

The native Android client I'm working on won't require the stuff below, but here are the things I've done to my Nexus 7 to make it a full-screen web browser:

Root it - there are many tools available for rooting the N7, it only take about 5 minutes and is reversible should you desire. "Rooting" the device allows you to have root-level access to install and modify at a lower level.

Install full!screen - it's in the Google play store and is free. It hides the top and bottom always-there bars on the later versions of Android. It's configurable with a couple of hot spots that you can assign actions to for tap and long-press. I've assigned two very tiny hot-spots, one it each bottom corner of the screen. taping the bottom-left is the 'Home' button. Long-pressing the bottom left exits the full!screen app, returning the system bars. Tapping the bottom-right shot-spot is the same as the system-bar 'back' button and long-pressing it brings up the running apps list. You can set the hot-spot transparency level so that they're fully visible or completely invisible. For now I have mind just barely noticeable. Full!screen requires the N7 to be rooted to function. If you haven't rooted the device yet, don't bother installing full!screen, it won't work.

Pick a browser that can go into full-screen mode. "Dolphin jetpack" is awesome, it's fast and can have a seamless full-screen. I used it initially but have just written my own simple full-screen browser. When launched it goes directly into some custom control pages that I have running in Apache ATM but I'd like to to move those under cherrypy as a plugin at some point.

If anyone is interested in the browser code, I'll gladly share it. It's no-frills and my indigo URL is hard-coded but is easy to changes. You'd just need to install Eclipse and the Android SDK on your Mac/PC to re-compile. I may look at adding a settings page but I really didn't want to have a hot-spot/button/swipe action/etc. on there to detract from the browser.

BTW, there is landscape-mode charging base for the Nexus out now that make it a great table/counter device. I'll posts some pics this evening. The base is only $40 and has a mini usb and audio connections.

I'll try and re-focus on the native android client over the next couple of days and see what I can get out. Again sorry for the delays, but I did say at the beginnning of this that you'd have to stay on me. :oops:

Terry

Posted on
Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 pm
ericwass offline
Posts: 40
Joined: Feb 10, 2010

Re: Android Client

Listen, I appreciate that you're doing anything at all. I think ultimately I will dedicate an iPad mini or something to run Indigo Touch for my house. But in the meantime, I've got this Galaxy SIII in my pocket that has to use the stock web interface (I don't have the time to make a custom CP for it). So, I'd be thrilled just to have basic functionality with a persistent log in.
Many thanks!

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:51 pm
toille27 offline
User avatar
Posts: 233
Joined: Jul 18, 2011
Location: Doylestown PA

Re: Android Client

Squeaky wheel here...is this dead?

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline
User avatar
Posts: 248
Joined: Dec 09, 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA

Re: Android Client

I am about to switch to an Android phone and am also curious about the development here!

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:31 am
CaliChris offline
Posts: 38
Joined: Apr 15, 2012

Re: Android Client

Any news on an Android app? I switched and Indigo was the one thing I forgot to check to see if it's available... I really hope this is in the works. Any 3rd party options?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests