Multiple Sprinkler Device Plugin

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 am
berkinet offline

Re: Multiple Sprinkler Device Plugin

seanwalmsley wrote:
I'm having serious problems with my master irrigation/ezflora. The schedule I've been using for several seasons has stopped working, and activating via Indigo Touch works only sporadically.

Here's the event log message I'm getting:

May 26, 2015, 5:08:13 AM
Master Irrigation Error python API turnOnZone() has been deprecated -- use setActiveZone() instead (note setActiveZone zone index argument is 1 based instead of 0 based)

There appears to be an issue caused by a change in the Indigo API. I will take a look at it. However, the error message says the API call is deprecated, not deleted (yet) so, the existing call should still function. Can you control the EXFloras directly from their Indigo device instance?

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 7:02 am
seanwalmsley offline

I haven't tried that yet.

But an update: I reset the EZFlora hardware (twice) and now the Master Irrigation works, except that the first zone doesn't activate, all the others do. I've got my irrigation guy coming this morning, and it may be a valve problem, not an Indigo malfunction. (Also, I had the well point changed while I was away in England last week, and that also could be an issue).

I'll keep you posted after both the irrigation guy and the well point guy have visited today.

PS: the new indigo touch on my iphone6 is really good--when it's working, it seems to lose its connection with the server quite frequently--not quite sure why. Great UI and functionality improvements!

Thanks
Sean

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

berkinet wrote:
However, the error message says the API call is deprecated, not deleted (yet) so, the existing call should still function.

That is correct – the old API should still work fine. I believe the only difference between the APIs is that setActiveZone's index is 1 based.

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2015 5:38 am
seanwalmsley offline

Problem solved. One of the sprinkler valves had a wire loose. Also, when the pump guy added a well point, debris clogged up some of the filters! Everything is back to normal.
Thanks!
Sean

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2015 12:48 am
berkinet offline

seanwalmsley wrote:
Problem solved....

Good to hear the problem is solved. And, thanks for reporting back! :wink:

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2015 5:59 am
seanwalmsley offline

Alas, the same issue has cropped up again. My suspicion is that it's the EZFlora module that's failed. One zone worked this morning, but two others kicked in for a second then stopped. I've reset everything, but now not even Indigo Touch can make anything work.

Any ideas before I purchase another EZFlora module?

Cheers
Sean

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2015 6:02 am
berkinet offline

seanwalmsley wrote:
...Any ideas before I purchase another EZFlora module?

There are a number of smart controllers out there now that support more than 8 zones. Maybe it is time to move on past Insteon for sprinkler control :roll:

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2015 6:06 am
seanwalmsley offline

Can you suggest some? Although everything in the house is controlled by Insteon, so I would be reluctant to have to introduce an incompatible system...

Posted on
Fri May 29, 2015 12:00 pm
berkinet offline

seanwalmsley wrote:
Can you suggest some?... ...I would be reluctant to have to introduce an incompatible system...

I am using the netAQUA. It works fine - but, there is still some development in progress. But, there are several others discussed here on the forums.

As for adding an incompatible system, there are (at least) two schools of thought on this: One view (one I hold) is that it is better to have self-reliant (stand-alone) systems and then let Indigo adjust them as, or if, necessary. But, if Indigo fails, for whatever reason, the stand-alone system will keep right on doing it's thing. The other view is to have Indigo control everything.

Posted on
Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:44 am
seanwalmsley offline

Thanks for the suggestion...but netAqua is starting over at a not inconsiderable price. I've only had two EZFlora modules (I fried one by piggybacking it to another module), and the one I've ordered was only $99. So I'll give it another shot.

Strangely, the master irrigation/EZFlora is sporadically working. One day it starts and then stops after a few seconds, but today it ran the entire program flawlessly. I'm assuming that the EZFlora module is on the blink.

Open to further suggestions as to causes I should investigate.
Sean

Posted on
Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 pm
akimball offline

Hello,

I downloaded Multiple Sprinkler Device plugin and installed. Great plugin. I discovered that by setting the device time to "1" minute and using a variable multiplier which is different for each device, then I can write an interface for my wife that allows her to adjust the sprinkler durations in "minutes" using each variable multiplier as the duration. Love that... it gives her the flexibility she desires in her veggie zones. I was in the process of setting it up and discovered that the plugin has no equivalent "pause", "resume", "next zone" or "previous zone" commands which I can link to, or am I missing something? She is used to having those controls with the old built in EZFlora plugin (I have three EZFlora units for 24 zones... 18 in use currently.)

I'm also really wanting some additional information and control. I would really like for her to be able to set the time, days, and essentially manage her own schedules from the sprinkler interface itself. She doesn't use Indigo's main program... only the Indigo Touch app on her iPhone. Also, when I sell my home someday, I don't want to give Indigo lessons to the new buyer.

My optimal interface would work like this...

There would be a Date/Time box for next schedule activation and another Date/Time box for next schedule completion. There would also be eight boxes (EZFlora, maybe "N" boxes) to enter the number of minutes for each virtual zone. The total sum of the times required for each zone added to the start time equals the completion time and visa versa. Say for example she wanted the completion time to end at "sun-up" then the start time would be set accordingly. But say she wanted the schedule to start at 8:30-am, then the completion time would be recalculated accordingly. Adjust any of the zone minutes and a new completion time would be calculated. I would like her to be able to do this herself within Indigo Touch (or the next owner of my home someday).

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. The concept of "virtual devices for each zone" is brilliant.

Thanks. -al
Last edited by akimball on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:39 am
berkinet offline

akimball wrote:
... discovered that the plugin has no equivalent "pause", "resume", "next zone" or "previous zone" commands which I can link to, or am I missing something? She is used to having those controls with the old built in EZFlora plugin (I have three EZFlora units for 24 zones... 18 in use currently.)

I'm also really wanting some additional information and control. I would really like for her to be able to set the time, days, and essentially manage her own schedules from the sprinkler interface itself. ...

The Multiple Sprinkler Device plugin was designed for one purpose... to maintain schedules across multiple controllers. As such, I did not need to control individual zones manually, so I didn't build that capability into the plugin. However, there is a simple way around the issue: You can control individual zones directly through the underlying EZflora devices. To make the interface easier for your wife, you could create Actions or, better, a Control Page. I have done that at my location... I created a control page listing the zones with some simple logic to keep two zones from running at the same time. I can share that if you'd like. This page does not have the next zone feature you wanted. But, you could probably figure a way to do that.

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:14 pm
akimball offline

Thank you for the information. The feature I like best about Multiple Sprinkler Device plugin is the ability to use separate multipliers. I suppose with a bit of python on a control page I could get some of the other features I'm looking for. I would love to see your script if you have time.

-Al

Posted on
Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:33 am
seanwalmsley offline

An update from previous posts:

I've replaced my EZFlora module, and there are no known issues with either the pump or the sprinkler heads. But now, the master irrigation plugin doesn't work. Here is the event log from this morning:

Jun 10, 2015, 10:06:00 AM
Schedule Daily Irrigation
Master Irrigation Starting schedule creation
Master Irrigation Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 216, in createSchedule
<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

Jun 10, 2015, 10:09:48 AM
Received INSTEON "Murphy Bed MotionD" on (button 1)

Jun 10, 2015, 10:10:52 AM
Received INSTEON "Murphy Bed MotionD" off (button 1)

Jun 10, 2015, 10:11:52 AM
Updated "Murphy Bed MotionD" off

Jun 10, 2015, 10:13:57 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:15:01 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:16:01 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:16:29 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:17:33 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:18:33 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:22:07 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:23:11 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:25:00 AM
Master Irrigation Error Irrigation schedule already running. Action request ignored.

Since the irrigation schedule isn't already running, I'm assuming that I need to delete the plugin and replace it. But how do I do that?
Sean

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:30 am
berkinet offline

seanwalmsley wrote:
...now, the master irrigation plugin doesn't work. Here is the event log from this morning:

Jun 10, 2015, 10:06:00 AM
Master Irrigation Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 216, in createSchedule
<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
... ...
Jun 10, 2015, 10:25:00 AM
Master Irrigation Error Irrigation schedule already running. Action request ignored.
... ...
Since the irrigation schedule isn't already running, I'm assuming that I need to delete the plugin and replace it. But how do I do that?
Sean

You should not need to delete the plugin. But, you should probably delete any Indigo objects (schedules) you have created, reload the plugin and then start fresh.