Proliphix™ Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:44 pm
berkinet offline

Re: Proliphix™ Plugin Discussion

sparky21 wrote:
An update to my previous comment.
When I wiresharked, I couldn't find the authorization in the header, so I made the change below to the plugin.py file to make sure it gets in there each time. There are two changes, one for the read and one for the write.

So far this seems to be working:... ...I'm sure this isn't the most elegant solution, but it gets me up and running for now.

Sorry for not responding earlier. This wheel wasn't squeeking and I am short of grease :wink:

I am not sure why the original code did not work for you, it works fine for me with 3 different thermostats. But, as long as it is working, that's great. I will check it out here, and if it doesn't break anything, I'll add your code to the plugin.

Thanks for your contribution.

AND... I should also note that this was my first plugin and it needs a thorough rewrite. Maybe I'll get to that this winter.

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:49 am
anyone offline

Can you confirm the official release version of this app is 1.0.7? That's the version in the library.

The reason I ask is because of the following and I see you made a beta version available via dropbox. The release notes suggest everything since 1.0.7 are beta's. As a suggestion, an option to ignore betas in the version check.

Enabling plugin "Proliphix Thermostat Control 1.0.7"
Starting plugin "Proliphix Thermostat Control 1.0.7" (pid 52256)
Started plugin "Proliphix Thermostat Control 1.0.7"
Proliphix Thermostat Control Error You are running v1.0.7. A newer version, v1.9.6 is available.
Proliphix Plugin Waiting for availability of Proliphix Thermostat device list
Proliphix Plugin Plugin started. Polling thermostats every 5.0 minutes with a 8.0 second timeout

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:19 am
sparky21 offline

anyone wrote:
Can you confirm the official release version of this app is 1.0.7? That's the version in the library.

I'm using v1.9.9 plus a modification that I've spoken about in a previous post.
The download for v1.9.9 is listed in this post: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8007&start=90#p80187

Posted on
Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:01 pm
berkinet offline

anyone wrote:

The reason I ask is because of the following and I see you made a beta version available via dropbox. The release notes suggest everything since 1.0.7 are beta's. As a suggestion, an option to ignore betas in the version check.

I think @sparky has already answered the part about the current version. However, note:

First and foremost... using the Indigo Contributions library's definition of "release" software, this plugin will likely always be in beta. One reason is the low level of feedback I receive from users. It seems people only report problems. Yet, I cannot use silence as a validation that a release is bug free. So, releases just tend to be beta. That is not the way I would prefer it, but, given the amount of time it takes to maintain a formal development, test and release cycle, this is pretty much the way it has to be.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 am
HFTobeason offline

Something has gone pear-shaped with my Proliphix plugin - it has been working like a charm for quite some time, but just recently, perhaps related to the Indigo 6.1 update, it started throwing these errors every time it attempts to connect:

Proliphix Thermostat Error readTstat: The device XXX at "XXX" could not fulfill the request. Reason = HTTP Error 401: basic auth failed
Curiously, if I "reload" the plugin, it connects successfully. But, after some time - not sure how long - it starts throwing the error again.

Any thoughts most appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:49 pm
sparky21 offline

Just noticed this on my system as well. Worked ok for a few days after upgrading to 6.1. Starting this morning, I am seeing similar errors on all three of my Proliphix thermostats. The one thing I can add is that it the 401 errors you report were preceded by this by about 20 minutes:

Proliphix Thermostat Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 632, in actionControlThermostat
File "plugin.py", line 287, in writeTstat
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 391, in open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 409, in _open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 1181, in http_open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 1154, in do_open
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 990, in getresponse
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 391, in begin
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 355, in _read_status
<class 'httplib.BadStatusLine'>:

So I wonder if this is a regression in Indigo 6.1?

Posted on
Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:08 pm
berkinet offline

sparky21 wrote:
...Starting this morning, I am seeing similar errors on all three of my Proliphix thermostats....

Well, I looked over my logs and find exactly 1 401 error, and that was for my 550c/w. No reports from the NT20s. I am not sure what the problem is, though I do suspect something changed in 6.1 and the switch to Python 2.6. I did see a problem with a serial connection in a script I have that required a minor change.

One of my summer projects is to re-write the Proliphix plugin from scratch. Now that Indigo can support Python 2.6, I am thinking of using the Python Requests module. Although that would break the plugin for pre-MacOS 10.6 users, it is probably time to move ahead.

In the meantime, if you can provide some hard information on the error I can try to track it down. But, as noted above, it is hard to fix something I can't make "break."

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2015 9:45 pm
HFTobeason offline

Here's what I've got:

After a reload of the plugin, all is fine for a while. The first auto-check, 15 minutes later, is also fine, as are the next two. Then, the fourth check fails, as do all subsequent checks.

Attached are three txt files - all in full debug mode - the first is the reload, the second is the good check, the third is the failed check.
Attachments
Error Dump.txt
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Good Dump.txt
(125.3 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Reload Dump.txt
(127.69 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2015 2:03 am
berkinet offline

HFTobeason wrote:
...After a reload of the plugin, all is fine for a while. The first auto-check, 15 minutes later, is also fine, as are the next two. Then, the fourth check fails, as do all subsequent checks....

The traces you sent seem to point at a problem with your thermostat or possibly, your dynamic DNS service...
Good trace:
    readTstat: The read update URL for Device: XX Downstairs Proliphix is: http://XX.dyndns.org:8100/get?OID4.1.1= ... OID4.1.13=
    readTstat: OIDs returned for device XX Downstairs Proliphix: ['OID4.1.1', '2', 'OID4.1.3', '1', 'OID4.1.5', '450', 'OID4.1.6', '850', 'OID4.1.9', '1', 'OID4.1.10', '3', 'OID4.1.11', '3', 'OID4.1.2', '2', 'OID4.1.14', '53', 'OID4.1.13', '705', '']
Error trace:At first glance, based on your traces, I can see that the URL is exactly the same for both the successful and failed attempts. So, it appears the problem is occurring in the thermostat. But, it is also unlikely two thermostats would exhibit the same error. However, there is always the possibility of a bug in the thermostat: you are running a NT10 and an NT150. I do not have those models available to test with.

It might be an issue with the dynamic DNS service, but that would not return a 401 error -- unless it was incorrectly point you at some incorrect URL that also supported authentication. This might happen if your IP address changed after the plugin restarted. But, it is not really very likely. You can test this by changing the Thermostat device's IP setting to a fixed address and see if you get the same results.

The last possibility I can think of is the software you are running for Indigo. What version of MacOS and Indigo are you running? (FWIW, I am running MacOS 10.10.3 & Indigo 6.1.0 with 2 NT20s and one IMT550.

Finally, while there is always the possibility of a problem in the plugin. This problem is not occurring elsewhere and the traces do not give enough information to point to a possible cause.

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 am
sparky21 offline

Berkinet, and ,

I'm wondering if what @HFTobeason are seeing is the same issue that I had with my NT10s that is corrected, by the patch from the Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:42 pm, post? I'm an NT10 user as well, and while I still see some random errors in the log, the thermostats seem to function fine.

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2015 8:46 am
berkinet offline

sparky21 wrote:
...I'm wondering if what @HFTobeason are seeing is the same issue that I had with my NT10s that is corrected, by the patch from the Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:42 pm, post? I'm an NT10 user as well, and while I still see some random errors in the log, the thermostats seem to function fine.

It is very likely it is the same problem. I did not add your patch to the plugin code since there were no other similar reports. But. it does look like there is an issue with the NT1xx thermostats remembering a previous authentication.

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2015 4:33 pm
HFTobeason offline

Well, I thrashed around for a bit, but I think I finally got @sparky21's patch implemented (never coded in Python before, so I was flying kinda blind). The plugin has successfully restarted and updated my therms. Now I'm just waiting to see what happens... Thanks @sparky21! And thanks @berkinet!!!

Posted on
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 pm
berkinet offline

Proliphix™ Plugin 1.10.0 available

Version 1.10.0 of the Proliphix thermostat plugin is now available from The Indigo Plugin Store.

Changes in this release are:
  • Change from urllib2 to "requests"
  • Revised exception on connection errors
  • General code cleanup