EUROtronic Stella-Z

Posted on
Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 am
Luca Fabietti offline

Re: EUROtronic Stella-Z

Thank you for you answer,

I faced the same problems. I also wrote directly to Eurotronic asking for a confirmation on the raw command that I used.
In case the commands turns out to be correct then the second option might be the one that you pointed out about the collision between Indigo and the sent raw command.

Posted on
Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:32 pm
autolog offline

So far I have managed to operate my Stella-Zs (in my case via my plugin) using the comfort setting which seems to work well :)

Posted on
Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:46 am
Luca Fabietti offline

Eurotronic replied to my e-mail just today.
Apparently the syntax of the command the way we built it is not correct. Moreover it seems there is no way to activate the direct control mode through indigo since the information how to build data packets on protocol- level is confidential and only available for Zwave developers.

I guess the only possible option right now is to ask Indigo staff to support us in implementing this functionality.

Posted on
Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:42 am
autolog offline

Luca Fabietti wrote:
... Moreover it seems there is no way to activate the direct control mode through indigo since the information how to build data packets on protocol- level is confidential and only available for Zwave developers. I guess the only possible option right now is to ask Indigo staff to support us in implementing this functionality.

I don't think that Indigo Domotics are registered as z-wave developers but I could be wrong? Also, another reason that I don't think that will happen in the short term (even if it is possible) is that they are focusing on getting the Indigo Touch update out. :)

As I previously mentioned, my Stella-Z plugin uses the comfort mode and uses the set point to turn the Stella-Z on and off. It is worth noting that the Stella-Z is affected by heat coming off the radiator so it works best when using a remote thermostat. My plugin typically sets the Stella-Z setpoint to 7 degrees higher than required so that it doesn't switch off before the remote thermostat setpoint has been reached.

Posted on
Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:30 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Luca Fabietti wrote:
HThis is the Raw command I used according to the Stella-Z manual: 0xFE 0x1F 0x64 to set the valve up to 100%. The command is acknowledged by the device which does not change its state though.

I just looked at the manual and the commands are more complicated than that (the manual doesn't go into enough detail). It looks like they want us to send 3 different commands: BASIC SET to 0xFE, THERMO MODE to 0x1F, then you use SWITCH MULTILEVEL to set the valve percentage. Untested, but those 3 commands would be something like:

Code: Select all
0x20 0x01 0xFE
0x40 0x01 0x1F
0x26 0x01 VALVE_PERCENTAGE_BYTE_HERE (hex range is 0x01 to 0x63, or 0xFF for 100%)

Once the mode is set (first 2 commands), you should be able to send just the last command to change the valve position.

Posted on
Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:11 am
autolog offline

Hi matt,
Just tested this and it works :D

That's the good news BUT I think there is a problem with the Stella-Z being a battery device. When the raw command is sent it appears to lock out the z-stick as the Stella-Z is sleeping (i.e. the blue light goes out on the z-stick). the log then shows messages e.g.:
send "Stella-Z07" raw command failed: [26 01 00]
no ack/nak/busy reply (038) for sendRawZwaveCommand (re-sending)

So to be able to test it working, I had to press the button on the Stella-Z just after sending the command.

I think the raw command needs to be queued without locking out the z-stick otherwise other devices will suffer problems.

Anyways, thanks for getting back on this one and proving me wrong with regard to timescale :oops:
Last edited by autolog on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah, yes you are correct. Only some specific commands are queued for sleeping modules, and the sending of raw command packets isn't one of them. I will add this to the request list.

Posted on
Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:20 am
autolog offline

Almost there then - Thanks :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:20 am
Luca Fabietti offline

Great!! I tried the command and it works :D Thank you for the support!!

And please let us know once also the other problem of adding raw messages in the queue will be solved. :D

Posted on
Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 am
Shutter offline

Anyone else notice any Stella Zs report a 0% battery status yet are still being updated in Indigo? I have 2 that show 0% battery but are not showing no ack and are receiving status updates.

Thanks,

Simon

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:24 am
autolog offline

The battery status on the Stella-Zs is a bit flaky - I had one that did this - I sent it back to get it replaced.

Also, Indigo only requests battery status (I think) a couple of times a day and so if you have replaced a battery it may take a while to update. I think a server restart forces a battery status check. :)

Posted on
Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:39 pm
Shutter offline

Damn they're flakey. I have one that's chomping through batteries and another that has been showing 0% for nearly a month but still appears to be found by Indigo as it's not showing the no ack warning. Just got round to changing the batteries on that one and after your suggested server restart it magically went all the way up 87% with a fresh pair inside. Never seen them at 100%.

Maybe I'll send both back.

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:51 pm
oddhenrik offline

Hi guys! Longetime! :D

Been busy with other things in life and everything has worked more or less smoothly for a long time now :D

Just got my new water-water heat pump installed :) and thus dragged out the stella-z´s I bought last year to put on the manifold to control the different heat circuits, see attached images.

I tried out Autolog´s plugin, but it seems not to do the trick for me. What I got so far is that I can turn the thermostats on by setpoint 50 and off by setpoint 6. So I will probably add support for the stellaz into the smart thermostat and use this to turn it on and off.

But....
One of the reasons I bought the stellaz was the ability to use direct control mode. I see you have been discussing how to do this with raw commands but hit a problem with how the commands are sent and missing queuing of raw commands... Has there been any progress to this, and is it solved?

It would be beautiful if we could use the direct control mode of the stellz´s thus maybe there would be possible to make an algorithm that would find the proper percentage of flow to keep a certain temperature :D
Attachments
IMG_1367_1.jpg
IMG_1367_1.jpg (167.4 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_1364_1.jpg
IMG_1364_1.jpg (136.49 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
IMG_1363_1.jpg
IMG_1363_1.jpg (163.83 KiB) Viewed 7902 times

Yours,
ʞᴉɹuǝH-ppO

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:09 pm
wiery offline

For this use case and given the investment, do you not think wired actuators with z-wave relays would be a better option for you ? Obviously the major drawback to battery devices is the time lag to device wake up. Really like what you have done with the Stella's, never occurred to me to use them in that way.

Posted on
Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:44 pm
oddhenrik offline

Tanks :) And you are probably right :)
The heat pump is a sound investment however I choose to control it, the home automation project tough... Well I guess its all about the pleasure of getting things to work ;)
The good thing as you say is that there are many options and the stella´s are easily exchanged with what ever. But I had these laying about so... I plan to solder them to a transformer, so I don´t need to worry about the battery. The 5 min lag is a nuisance but really not a big problem...

Looking forward to hear if there has been any development on the stellaz control options... :)

Yours,
ʞᴉɹuǝH-ppO