iMessage/Messages/Siri Indigo Control Script

Posted on
Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:53 pm
arobase offline

Re: iMessage/Messages/Siri Indigo Control Script

The instructions from DVDDave were confusing to me and I had to make some changes for it to work on my system. Just an FYI for others!

Troubleshooting Tips:
1. Be sure you can send an imessage to the name (i.e. indigo) from messages - best to try this from another mac or iphone manually (not use siri). If it is not going through try sending a message from the indigo server to yourself (iPhone number) and then reply. This allowed me to confirm the contact email for Indigo in my address was registered with iMessage service.

2. Confirm the contact entry you have created has the email address associated properly. For example I created an entry named Indigo (First Name) No Last Name. Home email address was indigo@domain.com. No other info. This way when I speak "Tell Indigo to do whatever" it will not get confused with any other names.

If the messages are flowing and no applescript is firing try the following:
1. Remove the naming confirmation in the applescript by deleting the following lines of code:

if full name of theBuddy is "Joe Smith" or full name of theBuddy is "Jane Smith" then
accept theChat
end if

------------------------------

if full name of theBuddy is "Joe Smith" or full name of theBuddy is "Jane Smith" then

******Do not delete this line in the middle***** set theResponse to runIndigoRemoteControl(theMessage)

end if

NOTE This appears twice near the bottom of the script. Search for Smith. Delete both instances

This kills the authorization mechanism. If you are running Indigo Server on a dedicated mac and the only messages account is the one for indigo this is not a big deal. Otherwise you may want to put it back - Or just comment it out for testing, your choice. I was never able to get the Full Name to match and therefore it would not fire for me.

2. Move the script to /Library/Scripts/Messages as another poster noted. The home directory Scripts folder no longer exists by default in 10.8. Actually recommend doing this anyway

3. Run the script from Editor App. When it runs "status" should be entered in a dialog box. Hit Okay. It should reply with "Alive and Well"

Hope this helps someone else do less head banging then me.

Posted on
Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:40 am
ck offline

I got the iMessage/Messages working, but for some reason the script is not communicating with Indigo. I get "Alive and well" when status is texted. I even set up a device with the short and easy name of "test", but I still get "error turning on Test". I tried the "turn on" command from the script editor too, but I still get "error turning on Master Bedroom Hall", etc. back??? Any body else had this problem, but fixed it? :?: :?:

Posted on
Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 pm
HA1 offline

It says that this plugin only works for Indigo 5. Any plans to upgrade to Indigo 6? Anyone try it? I can't as I only have Lion, not ML. But I might be willing to upgrade my mac mini to ML if it meant Indigo integration with iMessage :)

Posted on
Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It's not a plugin but rather an AppleScript. Since we haven't changed anything regarding AppleScript between Indigo 5 and 6 it should work fine.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 am
gbiski offline

Hello,

I am also getting the following error

An error occurred while executing an AppleScript event handler.
Event: Message Received in Active Chat
File: Messages Indigio Control Script sample.scpt
Error: Error-1708

Did any managed to solve the problem ?
I also removed the line:
"if full name of theBuddy is "Joe Smith" or full name of theBuddy is "Jane Smith" then"

thanks
George

Posted on
Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:00 pm
DVDDave offline

Whoops, I didn't realize this topic had all these posts. (It says I'll be notified on new posts but I have not been.) In any event, my script has been humming along fine with no errors since I first posted.

Please let me know if anyone still has questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Hopefully I'll start getting emails when new posts show up.

--Dave

Posted on
Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:33 am
durosity offline

On a side note, it looks like Mavericks removes the ability to run scripts on events in iMessage.. :(

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:51 am
DVDDave offline

durosity wrote:
On a side note, it looks like Mavericks removes the ability to run scripts on events in iMessage.. :(

Well, that sucks! Wonder if there will be any other ways to get Siri to trigger actions. I left a request on the Apple feedback form to keep the feature but I doubt it will do any good.

Posted on
Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:14 am
durosity offline

Correction, there is still a single assignable applescript field that will run when a message is received.. but it still greatly limits the functionality it currently has (e.g. the option to make the dock icon constantly bounce until a message is seen has been removed)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:11 pm
Chompy offline

After receiving the same error (-1708) I read through the iTunes control script and found this at the end:

Code: Select all
   # The following are unused but need to be defined to avoid an error

on received audio invitation theText from theBuddy for theChat

end received audio invitation

on received video invitation theText from theBuddy for theChat

end received video invitation

on received remote screen sharing invitation from theBuddy for theChat

end received remote screen sharing invitation

on received local screen sharing invitation from theBuddy for theChat

end received local screen sharing invitation

on received file transfer invitation theFileTransfer

end received file transfer invitation

on buddy authorization requested theRequest

end buddy authorization requested

on message sent theMessage for theChat

end message sent

on chat room message received theMessage from theBuddy for theChat

end chat room message received

on active chat message received theMessage

end active chat message received

on addressed chat room message received theMessage from theBuddy for theChat

end addressed chat room message received

on addressed message received theMessage from theBuddy for theChat

end addressed message received

on av chat started

end av chat started

on av chat ended

end av chat ended

on login finished for theService

end login finished

on logout finished for theService

end logout finished

on buddy became available theBuddy

end buddy became available

on buddy became unavailable theBuddy

end buddy became unavailable

on completed file transfer

end completed file transfer

Placing this bit of code in the Indigo Control script on the line before "end using terms from" appears to fix the error.

Posted on
Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:18 pm
Alphaman offline

Just a note: I'm running Mavericks and Indigo 6, and this script is working just fine. Whatever compatibility problem there might have been with an early version of Mavericks must have been fixed by Apple.
Thanks for such a great tool! This is like Star Trek!

Posted on
Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:55 pm
JeffS offline

Ok, started following this thread a while ago, but didn't actually try to implement the script. Received a response today showing there was activity, and after reading the recent posts, I decided to give it a try. I created a contact, and am successfully sending iMessages, and it fires the script off, but I get the same error everyone is talking about. First, I get the message "Send a command to Indigo Remote Control: status" that you have to click on OK, and then I get the message back saying "Alive and Well!" that you also have to click on OK, but I also get the error message "An error occurred while executing an AppleScript event handler. Event: Message Received in Active Chat File: Messages Indigo Control Script Sample.scpt Error: The Operation couldn't be completed. /Users/Login/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.iChat/Messages Indigo Control Script sample.scpt: execution error: No error. (-1708)" followed by a line that has a capitol I with something over it, a capitol Q lowercase m and followed by some strange superscript character - with the options to "Ignore Error" or "Disable Script", and nothing happens. I have tried both editing the lines with John and Jane Smith to read "Indigo", which is the contact name I am using, and I have also tried commenting out all of those lines, and nothing seems to make a difference - I still get the error.

"Login" is the user that is logged in running Indigo - I am running OS X 10.9.5, and Indigo 6.0.16.

Thank you, and take care!

Jeff

Posted on
Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:16 pm
DVDDave offline

I just noticed that my script has not been working since I upgraded to Yosemite. With this or any other script assigned in Messages, I get an immediate timeout error, even though the error says the script has been running for 10 seconds. When I press the Wait button in the error dialog, the script then executes. I think this must be a Yosemite bug but I'm hoping for a workaround. Anybody?

Posted on
Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Try executing it as an external script rather than an embedded script. Not sure if that's going to make any difference. And, the next time you get the dialog with the wait button can you take a screen shot and post it? I don't recall actually seeing that dialog before.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:15 am
DVDDave offline

Thanks, Jay, but this is an external script attached to Messages, not Indigo. Actually, after trying a bunch of stuff, it seems to have started working again in the original configuration. I think it's a Yosemie Messages bug since it also happens with the standard scripts. --Dave