can not connect to gmail...

Posted on
Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:46 pm
kw123 offline

can not connect to gmail...

I had a power failure. Since then Indigo can not connect anymore to email.
have reconfigured email connection really looked at the proper passwords smtp gateways servers... , added new dedicated email address, still no change..

Used 3 different email addresses ..
still getting
Code: Select all
 Error                           email send connection failed
  Error                           email re-send scheduled in 10 minutes

Any idea of what else to do? the regular email on the mac works with all email address I tried.

Karl

Posted on
Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: can not connect to gmail...

Gmail is a PITA to get/keep working in my experience. So much so that I switched to sending emails from my iCloud account. Have you happened to reboot your Mac since it first came back up from the power failure? I'd definitely try that.

You can turn on LLIO debugging to see if it gives you any more information about what's going on: hold down SHIFT and OPTION when you select Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Configure... and you'll get the debugging dialog. Check the LLIO debug logging checkbox and Close the dialog. You'll start seeing a lot of stuff in the Event Log, but when it tries to send an email again it should give more information.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:51 pm
kw123 offline

cool option, but does not really help here. it just states " timed out"

Code: Select all
  Debug                           SENT: GetImInfo packet to see if connection is alive
  Debug                           Starting email scan thread
  Emails on POP server pop.gmail.com will be scanned every 1 minutes
  Debug                           Stopping email send thread
  Debug                           email sending - thread being killed
  Debug                           <<-- start pop connection -->>
  Debug                           email scanning - openning connection...
  Debug                           SENT: GetImInfo packet to see if connection is alive

Aug 21, 2014, 8:48:53 PM

Aug 21, 2014, 8:49:18 PM
  Debug                           email scanning - connection timed out
  Error                           email scan connection failed
  Debug                           email scanning - completed
  Debug                           <<-- end pop connection -->>

Aug 21, 2014, 8:49:43 PM

Posted on
Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

In Indigo's prefs dialog, what specific settings do you currently have for the SMTP server (minus your password and username, of course)?

Posted on
Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 pm
kw123 offline

smtp server : smtp.gmail.com
port: 465 use ssl also tried 25 and 587
user name
password
reply to .. same as user name

scanning
pop server pop.gmail.com
port 995 use ssl
username
password same as above

Posted on
Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 pm
kw123 offline

I tried my old hotmail account. that worked immediately... but from memory that only worked for some days then hotmail blocked my indigo messages.. (spam filter)

what are others using for indigo email..?

Karl

Posted on
Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I just had Indigo send an email through gmail with no problems. My settings:

server: smtp.gmail.com
port: 587 Use SSL checkbox turned ON
username: myusername@gmail.com
password: password
reply-to addr: myusername@gmail.com

If it doesn't work for you, then perhaps gmail is blocking it?

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:54 pm
heyandy offline

Those are the settings I am using and it Google IS blocking it because I have enabled their new security setting of "Allow less secure apps". As soon as I enable that on my account and use the settings you gave, Google blocks the login attempt. So Google is now requiring something that Indigo is not doing. Again, this is the link to their FAQ:
https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0255?hl=en
I have not researched what is their requirement to be a "secure" app, but it appears how Indigo is working does not meet their standards.

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:35 pm
heyandy offline

It appears the new secured model involves the need to have Indigo do a handshake with Google directly with their Web API's. I never would type my password into Indigo, rather I would be redirected to Google's login page, would would then give Indigo a token to use.

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We'll add this investigation to the request list, but given the number of free email providers out there it's going to be a pretty low priority.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:17 pm
RogueProeliator offline

It appears the new secured model involves the need to have Indigo do a handshake with Google directly with their Web API's. I never would type my password into Indigo, rather I would be redirected to Google's login page, would would then give Indigo a token to use.

I believe the I read that the official requirement is that the application accessing GMail use OAuth 2.0 -- I would assume that is not a simple flag on the client object being used by Indigo, but it could be... I don't believe you would have to go to the web with a client supporting that, though if using two-factor authentication (and why would anyone not :)) then would need to provide an application password if OAuth were implemented. Could also easily be added via a plugin if anyone desperately wanted GMail sending bad enough.

Adam

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

RogueProeliator wrote:
Could also easily be added via a plugin if anyone desperately wanted GMail sending bad enough.

Awesome - I guess that means you're writing a plugin to do it? :D

Unfortunately, we're using a (old) 3rd party POP/SMTP C++ client library in the server, which I'm sure is totally clueless about OAuth. We have a task on our todo list to move from that library into a Python-based solution for mail handling (and switching to IMAP), but we're not sure when we can get to that. When we do, then we can more fully evaluate what gmail's requirements are and perhaps offer a solution.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Awesome - I guess that means you're writing a plugin to do it?

I was just thinking - "I need another plugin to develop!" (Not really) Honestly, GMail is still sending fine for me as long as I have the Use SSL checked, so no incentive at the present time... I do have two-factor on with Indigo having an app password, so perhaps that makes a difference if someone having issues wants to try that.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I also recommend using a dedicated gmail account for Indigo. If you have to use the allow less secure apps option then it will only be enabled for the Indigo account (and not any personal/work email accounts).

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:33 am
RogueProeliator offline

FYI, I just did a quick test and I confirmed that you do NOT need to use to the setting for "Allow less secure applications" whenever you have two-factor authentication enabled; in fact, that setting is no longer available:

This setting is not available for accounts with 2-Step Verification enabled. Such accounts require an application-specific password for less secure apps access. Learn more

As I mentioned previously, Indigo sends mail fine with the two-factor authentication's "Application Password" set. Easy fix to keep things secure and allow access... essentially doing this you are enabling the "Less secure applications" on a one-by-one basis instead of across your account.

Adam