Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

Posted on
Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 am
manoncloud9 offline

Re: Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

I tried Geohopper and then Geofancy with the same results. I am not sure what I did but when I swapped back to Geohopper it started working.

So I am good right now - thanks for putting this plug in together!

Joe

Posted on
Sun May 25, 2014 5:08 am
flic offline

New version 0.95 with a small bug fix for Geofancy over HTTP GET.

jltnol has been nice enough to write a very good, very detailed installation and setup instruction for Beacon. You'll find it here: https://furtenbach.se/indigo/installation_instructions/index.html. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2014 9:16 am
jenwill1 offline

I loaded the Indigo Beacon plugin....

I have the iPhone app setup ok I believe. I got the IP address of the router from Airport Utility, added the web service using http://(Router IP address):6192.

I went into the network tab on Airport utility (Airport Extreme) and added a DHCP Reservation for my Indigo Server... using the MAC address of my computer and iPv4 address, then setup the port under Port Settings. I assigned a public TCP port of 6192 the private IP address was defaulted and assigned a Private TCP Ports of 6192 as well, saved and updated the router.

I ran a test from the Gohopper iPhone app and see nothing in the Indigo log. I feel like I am missing something on the firewall, port forwarding side as my knowledge in this area is close to nil.

Thanks for any help on this....

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 am
flic offline

I'm afraid I don't know much on how to configure the Airport Extreme for port forwarding. Anyone else that can help?

Posted on
Mon May 26, 2014 7:49 pm
mlooss offline

I have the iPhone app setup ok I believe. I got the IP address of the router from Airport Utility, added the web service using http://(Router IP address):6192.

Let me see if I can give you a hand. First off, when you say the router IP address, are you referring to the internal private IP address of the router, it sure sounds like it? A router has at least two IP's and you will need to use the public dynamic or if you do have a static IP that you received from your ISP. Open Safari or any other browser and go to this link http://checkip.net, it will display your public IP, which is what is needed. The only problem with using an IP, is the fact that this address may change over time and break your configuration. I recommend you sign up for one of those free Dynamic DNS services, which will allow you to map your IP to domain name.

To configure port forwarding launch Airport Utility, found in your Utilities folder and go to the Network tab and locate the Port Setting sections and click on the + plus sign. Fill in the Public TCP port 6192 and the same port number for the Private TCP port. No need to bother with filling in UDP fields, leave them blank. Under Private IP address enter the IP of your INDIGO Server.

I hope this helps?
Attachments
Airport Utility Port Settings.png
Airport Utility Port Settings.png (99.94 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Airport Utility Network Tab.png
Airport Utility Network Tab.png (85.54 KiB) Viewed 4426 times

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 am
jenwill1 offline

Helpful for sure. I was using the IP you get when you click on the picture of the internet in Airport Utility..... And I didn't have the Server IP in the Private IP field.

Appears Geohopper is not responding to test at the moment. Will try it later today.

Thanks for your efforts !

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 5:35 am
mlooss offline

Did you look for a new device, that is created automatically in INDIGO? You also need to enter your POST URL http://Your_IP_orDOMAIN:6192 into the Geohopper iOS App after you purchased the in App Web service option.

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 3:32 pm
jltnol offline

If I may add a few words... you are assigned an IP address by your ISP. Generally speaking, if you have a DSL connection, you most likely have a dynamic IP address... that is.... your ISP changes it often. If you have a cable connection, you are more likely to have a 'semi-permanent" IP address. You can easily locate this address by opening up a browser and typing in getip.com This will tell you what your PUBLIC IP address is. This is the IP address you need to enter into Geohopper.

You also presumably have a router, which hands off PUBLIC IP addresses to each of the devices connected to your home network. Usually in the range of 10.0.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x, and the private IP address of the computer that you use to run Indigo is equally important, as you much make sure data from Geohopper reaches thru your router to this computer.

As the previous poster suggested, this can easily be done in the Airport Admin, and he did a great job of giving you instructions. Also as the previous poster suggested, make sure that you have the Beacon set to Auto Create Devices...

In GeoHopper, for the location you want to use under the Web Services, make sure that the Web Service you've enabled is listed and checked..

Keep us posted on your progress... I'm sure we can all help you get this to work.

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 4:52 pm
jenwill1 offline

Good instructions ! Solved !

When I first setup the port forwarding it defaulted the Private IP address of 10.0.1.201... I found the computer IP address in Network Preferences and edited the IP field, saved and ran a Test from the geohopper iPhone app.

I received the message below on the Indigo log:

Beacon Test location notification received from sender/location xxxxxx@icloud.com//Home

A device was also setup automatically in Indigo. Working like a champ.

I will setup a trigger using the present or absent states of the device to trigger device actions next.

Many thanks for the quick and accurate suggestions to get this working !

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 5:09 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thanks for what appears to be a very cool plugin.
I have it setup and am seeing the tests from the GeoHopper app come thru in the event log
ok but the device that was auto-created is always showing
an unknown state.

Maybe missed something?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 pm
jltnol offline

Have you tried physically leaving or arriving in the space you've created?

I think the device will remain in Unknown status until you actually leave or arrive.....: :shock:

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 9:36 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Thought I walked far enough out of the home area, but maybe not.
Didn't realize that it would ever be in an unknown state..thought
it was just absent or present.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 pm
flic offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Thought I walked far enough out of the home area, but maybe not.
Didn't realize that it would ever be in an unknown state..thought
it was just absent or present.

Thanks,

Carl

No, ljtnol is right. The device will be in state unknown ('cause, y'know, it is :wink: ) until it receices either an enter or an exit event from Geohopper for the first time. After that it'll be either present or absent, it won't go back to unknown.

Posted on
Wed May 28, 2014 5:09 am
flic offline

New version 0.96

- Squashed a few more Geofancy bugs. Almost feels like I never really tested this 100%! ;)
- Fixed a bug that stopped a newly created device from being updated

I’ve started to move everything to Github, new repository here: https://github.com/flic/Beacon Feel free to mess around with it.

Posted on
Wed May 28, 2014 1:52 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I did a number of location tests today but still no joy.
All the tests I make from various locations are recorded
in the log but all location device states are still unknown.

Thinking it has something to do with the app as there
aren't any entries in the timeline, except tests, showing
leaving or arriving anywhere.

I've double checked all that I know to check in the app
about turning on "When Entering" etc. but nothing changes.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

Carl