Malformed XML packet received from Indigo Server

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm
plipof offline

Malformed XML packet received from Indigo Server

When I go to connect to Inigo from the iPhone app I get an error of "Malformed XML packet received from Indigo Server."

Posted on
Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Malformed XML packet received from Indigo Server

plipof wrote:
When I go to connect to Inigo from the iPhone app I get an error of "Malformed XML packet received from Indigo Server."

This often happens when someone tries to connect to the wrong server. Note that Indigo has 2 servers: the native Indigo Server on port 1176 (by default) and the Web server on port 8176 (by default). Indigo Touch communicates with the latter.

Posted on
Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 am
pmarek offline

I started getting the malformed XML packet when I attempt to use Indigo touch. This started about 2 weeks ago. I also can not connect via any browser as I used to. I've had this installation running for a couple years now without a flaw - now this.

Nothing has changed in the environment in the last two weeks. I have reset ALL equipment, made sure the OS was up to snuff with all updates (using snow leopard on the Mac Mini), upgraded Indigo to the latest version 5, and am pulling out what hair I have left. I was intending on adding more equipment to this mix over the summer but I can't even access Indigo unless I'm logged into the MacMini which is dedicated to it.

What is the definitive fix for this ?

Posted on
Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

From Safari on the same Mac running Indigo you cannot connect to it?

If so, then:

1) What is the exact URL you are using in Safari?

2) What are the exact options you have selected in the Start Local Server dialog (via the Indigo 5 menu), including port numbers?

3) What is shown in the Event Log window (copy/paste it into a forum post) after you: restart Indigo Server, then try to connect to it from Safari using the URL from step #1?

Posted on
Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 pm
MrJeffreyGee offline

Has there been a fix for this or a solution yet?

I've been experiencing this for the last month on my iPhone 5. I haven't made any changes to the network, prism settings, or Indigo. I find that it does it more over 3G than wifi. I connect to Indigo using Prism. I've even tried doing a permissions check & a verify disk with the Disk Utility app, but no change.

I did update my Apple Airport Router to the lastest firmware, but I wouldn't think that would do it. I'm using the latest version of Indigo & Indigo Touch as well.

Posted on
Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We haven't been able to reproduce this to confirm that it's a bug. As Matt points out above, it most often happens when you point Indigo Touch to the wrong server.

It can also happen if you have network issues between your Indigo server and the prism reflector. Updating your router firmware could cause a connection issue between the two since the connection is going through it. I'd try rebooting your Airport and see if that improves anything. Shut down the Indigo server first.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:31 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Having a similar issue. Touch shows the malformed packet error and I can't get connected
using Prism on the Indigo server machine. I am able to connect to the server
using 192.168.1.2:8176.

Tried restarting and updating Indigo but still no go.
Maybe something else to try?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 pm
ckeyes888 offline

All ok now. Odd, it just started working again.

Carl

Posted on
Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:19 pm
Since ][e offline

I had not experienced this issue for a long time, but it just happened again. I'll describe when it happened, and how I resolved it -- just for the record.

I've used Indigo since version 1, and now I'm running Indigo 6 Pro on a dedicated, always on an elderly Mac Mini running Mac OS 10.8. I use the current version of Indigo Touch on both an iPhone and an iPad (WiFi only), most frequently within my house via my home WiFi network, but I do have an active goPrism connection as well. On a recent trip 1,000 miles from home, I tried to check the status of certain devices at home via the iPhone (3G) and then the iPad on a hotel WiFi network. Both immediately and continuously returned the "malformed packet" message. I tried reconnecting via goPrism on both devices, but still received the same message. I shut down and restarted Indigo Touch on both devices , and then I deleted and reinstalled Indigo Touch on both devices, but no change in result. When I got home, I tried connecting with both devices and got the same "malformed" message. I could not connect via WiFi or goPrism. I then checked for Indigo 6 updates for the Mac Mini, downloaded the current version and replaced my Indigo 6 with the current version. When I restarted Indigo 6, Indigo Touch immediately began working on my iPhone, but not on the iPad. I deleted Indigo Touch and reinstalled it on the iPad, and it immediately began working correctly.

I strongly suspect that if I had just restarted Indigo 6 on the Mac Mini (instead of installing the current update first) everything would have been back to normal from within my house, at least on the iPhone. I still need to do some testing with the iPhone out-of-range of my home network, and perhaps develop a way to remotely force the Mac Mini to restart when I'm away from home. I'd like to figure out what causes the XML packets to malform when I go away . . .

Posted on
Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 am
ctgreybeard offline

I just ran into this again yesterday and was able to look at it this morning. The app on the laptop was connecting and controlling OK but the iPad kept showing "Malformed XML packet received" messages. Restarting the iPad did not help.

I logged into the server (6.0.12) and stopped and started the Indigo server and the iPad was able to connect.

Next time would you like me to get a packet capture on port 8176?

Bill W

--
Bill W

Posted on
Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Bill,

ctgreybeard wrote:
Next time would you like me to get a packet capture on port 8176?

Yes, that would be most helpful. Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:58 pm
jroach offline

I'm also getting the "Malformed XML" message on my iPhone with version 6.0.18. Not certain when the last time it worked...just now tried from my iPhone.
Restarted server, restarted iPhone app. No change.

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

First, upgrade to Indigo 6.1 so that the new Indigo Touch 2 features will work.
Next, connect to Indigo while in your house using the Bonjour discovered server shown in the settings panel.

If you manually enter a server address make sure you enter the correct address and correct port (8176). There are a couple of issues talked about on this thread, but the most common reason for the Malformed XML error is if your server settings in Indigo Touch don't have a port or have the wrong port.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 pm
jroach offline

Thanks. Is there a cost for the upgrade? If so, how do I roll back my phone app to prior version? Tks!

Posted on
Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:50 am
autolog offline

jroach wrote:
Thanks. Is there a cost for the upgrade? If so, how do I roll back my phone app to prior version? Tks!

From the Indigo 6 v6.1.0 Released announcement post:
6.1.0 is now available for download. This release contains mostly changes to support Indigo Touch 2.0, though there are a few other enhancements as well. It's a free upgrade to all Indigo 6 users.