Google Voice SMS Plugin

Posted on
Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 pm
jlambert121 offline

Re: Google Voice SMS Plugin

I received a couple feature requests and have opened GH issues for them. I have submitted PRs for two of them - configuring the sleep timeout when checking for new messages (https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/googl ... sms/pull/6) and allowing the updating of variables via SMS (https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/googl ... sms/pull/7). I'd love some feedback - be gentle!

Posted on
Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 pm
Dewster35 offline

Oh... I did remember one more. Every hour to 4 hours, people here need to reload the plugin in case it loses the connection to google voice. If there was some way to check for the connection and automatically reload, that would be ideal.

Posted on
Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:33 pm
jlambert121 offline

Dewster35 wrote:
Oh... I did remember one more. Every hour to 4 hours, people here need to reload the plugin in case it loses the connection to google voice. If there was some way to check for the connection and automatically reload, that would be ideal.

Added - https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/googl ... s/issues/8. Feel free to add your own issues to github as well. It's easier to track requests there vs. in a forum. The ability to do this one will depend a lot whether the GV module supports this detection. If it doesn't, I probably won't be able to do this one as it's likely this plugin will stop working when google disables "unauthorized" applications.

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jlambert121 wrote:
I received a couple feature requests and have opened GH issues for them. I have submitted PRs for two of them - configuring the sleep timeout when checking for new messages (https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/googl ... sms/pull/6) and allowing the updating of variables via SMS (https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/googl ... sms/pull/7). I'd love some feedback - be gentle!

I took a look at the change logs and it looks fine. Since you seem to be quite familiar with GitHub and it looks like you understand plugins fairly well, I've given you management access to that repo.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 pm
jlambert121 offline

Version 1.2.0 of the plugin has been released.

Changes:
Add ability to configure sleep timeout between GV checks
Add ability to set variables via SMS. The format is is "set <variable name> to <value>". NOTE: variables are case sensitive.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:44 pm
Dewster35 offline

I'm probably the only one who doesn't know this, but I'm not familiar with github. How does one download the full plugin version 1.2.0?

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:09 pm
jlambert121 offline

Dewster35 wrote:
I'm probably the only one who doesn't know this, but I'm not familiar with github. How does one download the full plugin version 1.2.0?

In the right column of the github page (https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/google-voice-sms) there is a "Download Zip" link. The zip file seems to be the name of the last merged branch, which is weird, but just unzip it and you should see the plugin.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Just FYI, the instructions are in the read me that is displayed on the repo landing page.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:24 pm
btassias offline

Hi

It seems there has been a far amount of issues with Google Voice, mine has been working fairly good but after trying the script for reloading the
plugin today it broke, But when it does works it's pretty good. I guess half the fun is figuring out how to solve the problem sometimes it come back
on its own in a day or so Is there anything i could try?

Bret
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 9.35.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 9.35.03 PM.png (19.67 KiB) Viewed 7604 times

Posted on
Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:03 pm
Dewster35 offline

btassias wrote:
Hi

It seems there has been a far amount of issues with Google Voice, mine has been working fairly good but after trying the script for reloading the
plugin today it broke, But when it does works it's pretty good. I guess half the fun is figuring out how to solve the problem sometimes it come back
on its own in a day or so Is there anything i could try?

Bret

Seeing this same issue.

Posted on
Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:25 am
individualist offline

I've been using this plugin for quite a while, but have noticed (as others have) that it seems to go "dead" periodically. For me the time varies from a day to about 10 days. I created a script to reload the plugin periodically - initially once a week, but then realized that was insufficient. Script as follows:

Code: Select all
pluginId = "com.chrisandlynette.indigoplugin.googleVoiceSMS"
plugin = indigo.server.getPlugin(pluginId)
if plugin.isEnabled():
   plugin.restart()

Has anyone found a reason why this is necessary? Prior versions running under earlier OS X rarely exhibited this problem for me.

Posted on
Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 am
individualist offline

Oh… I almost forgot. When I send a text to the Google Voice number and the plugin is dead, nothing appears in my log. Perhaps that's obvious. Additionally, if I reload the plugin and login is successful, Indigo logs all the texts that were queued up and I immediately receive the text messages responses from Indigo.

I used the same Python script in an Action I can initiate from my phone in order to "kick the mule". I predominantly use this plugin to notify me of Indigo events such as "left the garage door open" or "xxx motion sensor triggered" (outbound notifications). Less often I use it for "I'm home now" or "Arm/Disarm security" (inbound commands).

And that's the problem - I don't know that I've left the garage door open if the plugin (or maybe GV) has gone deaf

Posted on
Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:27 am
richy240 offline

I've found email to be more reliable.

Posted on
Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:40 pm
jascha offline

Is this still working for folks :?:

I started getting plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed and no amount of reloading has solved it. I tried configuring an application specific password, and that didn't help either. I was suspecting another change in the Google Voice interface that broke the plugin earlier, but if other people are still using 1.2.0 then it must be something else.

Thanks,
Jascha

Posted on
Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:52 pm
Dewster35 offline

I was getting similar errors and a reboot solved it... and it likely wasn't a first reboot so I'm not really sure. I know this plugin has been flakey at best during it's time.

jascha wrote:
Is this still working for folks :?:

I started getting plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed and no amount of reloading has solved it. I tried configuring an application specific password, and that didn't help either. I was suspecting another change in the Google Voice interface that broke the plugin earlier, but if other people are still using 1.2.0 then it must be something else.

Thanks,
Jascha

Page 16 of 21 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21