EUROtronic Stella-Z

Posted on
Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 am
TommyGonk offline

Re: EUROtronic Stella-Z

I've got it set to 5mins but have also been pressing the button, got the full debug enabled so I can see it wakeup.

I've got a bit further now, it's picked up the units from the valve now, trying to get it to report it's temperature and switch on/off now.

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm
mat offline

Evening all,

Does indigo support the open/close (on/off) feature of the Stella, or is it just set point adjustment?

thanks

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 am
wysinawyg offline

Just setpoint, but bouncing from 10 to 24 (or higher) does give you an on/off type effect. I'm planning on checking just how quickly it switches but I think it is pretty much instant once the device wakes.

Posted on
Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 am
mat offline

thanks. I would be interested to hear how quick that change is when you get to test.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:48 am
autolog offline

The Stella-Z has four modes:
    Frost=6 deg C
    Comfort=22 deg C
    Energy Saving=18 deg C
    Direct control
The Comfort and Energy Savings mode allow setpoint adjustment from 0 to 50 deg C.

Indigo doesn't have a direct correlation of its settings with the modes above AFAIK. It has a setting 'Heat On' which enables you to adjust the setpoint. Indigo doesn't support Direct Control which would give you direct control of the valve percentage opening but then temperature control is not handled by the Stella-Z.

My Autolog Stella-Z Plugin controls the Stella-Z by setpoint adjustment - lowering the setpoint to 6 deg C (Frost) to turn the Stella-Z off. It is instantaneous as soon as the Stella-Z wakes up. You can also wake the Stella-Z manually by quickly pressing the button on the front.

I am currently working on an improved version of my plugin that is in beta testing and will be providing an updated Version 2 within a couple of weeks. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:08 am
mat offline

Thanks Autolog

Thats very useful.

I'm not looking for the TRV to control temperature, just which rads are on/off. I'm would like to use various triggers and thermostats plus a host of variables to control each room temperature. The logic I am using at present is working perfectly but the Danfoss has exposed the slow response time (which I've seem to be experiencing delays in excess of 2 hours around 70% of the time) is making the heating response time very very slow. Wake up is set to 10 minutes on the Danfoss.

If the Stella responds instantly (once woken up) to set point changes say from 6 deg to 28 degs that may meet my needs.

I'll give couple a go.

thanks again

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:01 pm
mat offline

Thanks for the info on the stellas. Grabbed a couple and am currently testing - initial comment is good - heat supply is now a max of 10 minutes compared to 2 hours with the danfoss.

just changing a few triggers and can't seem to get the applescript correct. This is what I had for the Danfoss but doesn't seem to work with the stella.

Code: Select all
set heat setpoint of device "Stella 01" to 5

suggestions please

cheers

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:25 pm
mat offline

ignore me - typo in device name! One day I will learn to spell!!!!!!!!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:42 am
IndigoSam offline

I have a question around the options for the Stella Z. Hide temp messages in the log is straightforward enough to understand, but I don't really get the 'Exclude...' options.

What are the 'Exclude...' options actually for? They were all ticked by default, by I un-ticked them as I couldn't see a reason to Exclude these activities? The Wiki entry doesn't mention the options.

Sam.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 11.37.53.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 11.37.53.png (93.2 KiB) Viewed 7229 times

Posted on
Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:24 am
autolog offline

IndigoSam wrote:
... What are the 'Exclude...' options actually for? They were all ticked by default, by I un-ticked them as I couldn't see a reason to Exclude these activities?

I think they were added as a result of a request I made. :)

They are there (AFAIK) so that excessive z-wave messages can be suppressed - particularly useful with my Stella-Z plugin where the only thing it is interested in is the temperature. The Plugin knows what the setpoint is because it set it and also knows what the mode is - it is always 'on'. The Stella-Z is effectively turned 'on' and 'off' by adjusting the setpoint.

So it saves getting two additional messages which it doesn't need and helps to keep the z-wave traffic down which is particularly useful for battery based devices. :)

Jon

Posted on
Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:44 pm
IndigoSam offline

Ah, okay - that makes sense.

Second question then: do yours give a completely different temperature reading to the actual room temperature? Mine is currently showing 21 C, whereas a thermometer is showing 19 C

Sam.

Posted on
Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:17 pm
autolog offline

IndigoSam wrote:
... Second question then: do yours give a completely different temperature reading to the actual room temperature? Mine is currently showing 21 C, whereas a thermometer is showing 19 C

I find that when the Stella-Z is off they tend to be the same or slightly cooler than a wall mounted thermostat - to be expected as mine are low level at the bottom of the radiator. When the radiator comes on they can show a higher temperature because they can be affected by the heat coming off the radiator.

Jon

Posted on
Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:37 am
Luca Fabietti offline

Hi all,

I am currently using the EUROtronic Stella-Z thermostat through Indigo. I know this device offers 4 possible modes including Direct Control Mode which is yet not supported in Indigo. Hence I tried to set this mode using raw commands but I didn't work.

This is the Raw command I used according to the Stella-Z manual: 0xFE 0x1F 0x64 to set the valve up to 100%. The command is acknowledged by the device which does not change its state though.
Is this the correct way to do it? Do you know the reasons why it din't work?

Otherwise is there another way to implement this mode through indigo?

Thank you for this consideration

Posted on
Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:31 am
autolog offline

With a bit of googling I found this link - it seems to imply that 0x64 is an invalid value, it should be 0x00-0x63 and 0xFF (for 100%).

Not sure if this helps - I haven't tried it though :)

Posted on
Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:04 am
autolog offline

autolog wrote:
... I haven't tried it though
I have now and I can't get it to work either. :(
The Stella-Z appears to accept the command but does nothing.

A couple of thoughts on this:
  • I wonder whether Indigo is detecting that the mode has changed and is resetting it back to what it thinks it should be?
  • It looks like Indigo doesn't queue the raw command and I am getting remote device "Stella-Z07" failed to acknowledge raw command: [FE 1F FF] type messages if I am not quick enough in pressing the Stella-Z button to wake it up. I have had to take my macbook air alongside the Stella-Z so that I can send the command and press the button quick enough.

Page 6 of 8 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8