Indigo Widget 1.3.2 Doesn't Work in Mountain Lion Preview

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 pm
Dave Marsh offline

Indigo Widget 1.3.2 Doesn't Work in Mountain Lion Preview

After installing Indigo Widget 1.3.2 today in my preview build of MacOS X 10.8, Mountain Lion, I was unable to enter either the IP address of my local Indigo server, or my credentials, so I was unable to access Indigo.

Posted on
Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Widget 1.3.2 Doesn't Work in Mountain Lion Previe

The Indigo Widget is no longer supported - though the source is there in the widget itself so you might be able to figure out what's wrong.

We recommend using the web interface instead.

Also note: we generally don't support beta OS versions. Bug reports are certainly welcomed for those that are testing OS releases but just be aware that if there are any fatal issues you'll likely be stuck until we release a compatible version.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:57 pm
Dave Marsh offline

I've just installed MacOS X 10.8 (GM) on my iMac, and can confirm that the Indigo Widget 1.3.2 reports an error when attempting to connect to the home Indigo server running on the local network. I appreciate your saying that the widget is no longer supported, but the web interface is annoying when run from Dashboard, since it immediately switches out of Dashboard to Safari on the Desktop. The widget immediately worked conveniently from within Dashboard with no drama. I'm assuming there is some technical reason why this extremely convenient desktop Mac utility no longer works, and if the Indigo app itself weren't so excellent, I'd look for an alternative for controlling my home's INSTEON devices. As it is, I now basically use the iOS INSTEON app to control my stuff manually.

I also liked the look of the Indigo Widget. The web interface is functional, but pretty crude looking.

Posted on
Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are technical reasons why we're no longer supporting the widget but in practical terms it's mainly about demand. I can count on one hand the number of people that used it regularly (when we did support it) so it's not worth cost to maintain it.

As I said above, the source is completely accessible so maybe someone else would like to take a stab at getting it to work.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:59 pm
Dave Marsh offline

I'll accept that you don't want to assign any resources to fix this very useful widget, but unless it broke, I don't know how you'd know how many people were using it. I used it daily. It was convenient to use, dynamically updated on the spot, and looked good. As a long time Apple customer (and of Perceptive Automation as well), the user experience is important to me. That's why I use products that are a joy to use, vice just functional. The web interface to Indigo is ugly, not to put too fine a point on it.

Be that as it may, it's your product and company's brand. I'm just voicing my displeasure with your decision.

Thanks for replying...

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:48 am
bnance offline

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion also, and find out the widget doesn't work. I've read the posts here and I must say I'm disappointed that the widget will not be updated. I use it on a daily basis. I work from home and I'm at my computer most of the day. It really helps not having to fish my iPhone out of my pocket just to turn off/on lights etc. Having the widget on the dashboard is fast, convenient, and very helpful. I wish you'd reconsider fixing the widget.

I'm still a 4.X Indigo user and was considering upgrading to version 5. However, I've got to think about this a bit now that the widget is not working. Also, it seems that it's been almost 2 years since the iPhone app has been updated as well..... :(

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Please understand we have very limited resources here and have to carefully prioritize what features we are working on. Everyone has their "must have" feature, and unfortunately they are all different. The Widget wasn't developed by either of us, it hasn't been updated in years (it never has supported anything besides dimmers/relays), and at this point it is a very low priority for us to bring it back up to speed. And consider all the different ways Indigo let's you control a light: Safari (or any browser) via our built-in WebServer, Indigo Touch (native iOS app), Mac Indigo client, AppleScript, python scripts, and interactive python shell.

We would much rather spend our time working on higher-priority requested features, like an Indigo Touch update, improvements to the Indigo Web UI, or improvements to the plugin architecture. I think the vast majority would agree that is more important than the Widget.

Lastly, as Jay said the Widget includes its own source (HTML/CSS/AppleScript). So if some enterprising individual wants to bring it back up to speed then they are more than welcome to do so.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:34 am
durosity offline

To get around this problem i’ve created a control page with the functions I wanted on dashboard, opened it in Safari, then used the “Open in dashboard” option to make a dashboard widget of those functions… so far it’s been working great!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is a great (and very flexible) solution. Thanks for suggesting it.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53 pm
Dave Marsh offline

I preferred the widget because it stayed in the Dashboard, and refreshed there. I do have a Safari clip in Dashboard, but when you click on a function, it immediately leaves the Dashboard and switches to Safari, a process that takes several seconds, compared to immediate action and refresh within the widget.

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:55 pm
MartyS offline

I too have tried in the past to get the widget to work in Mountain Lion... with no success. Until today!

No idea what exactly has changed, or where, but after loading the widget in one more "futile" attempt I set the account credentials and hostname (and the all-important "remote" checkbox) on the widget's reverse side. Low and behold I saw my Devices! And Actions! And Variables!

And the crowd goes wild. 8)

In case it matters, my current systems involved in this test are a laptop running 10.8.5 that has the widget and my 10.5.8 Indigo server system running Indigo Pro 5.1.6.

Perhaps others will also find the widget working for them that had previously given up on it. I am certainly glad that I tried it one more time! :D

/Marty

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:46 pm
jalves offline

Just tried this on my system and it also works running OSX 10.9 on the client (haven't dared update the server yet) computer and Indigio Pro 6.02. Thanks!!!

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm
MartyS offline

jalves wrote:
Just tried this on my system and it also works running OSX 10.9 on the client (haven't dared update the server yet) computer and Indigio Pro 6.02. Thanks!!!

That's good news! I'll be making the jump to 10.9 on my client by the weekend so I'm glad to hear that I won't have somehow "fixed it"... only to "lose it" once again.

/Marty

Posted on
Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 pm
jalves offline

Further update. Moved the server computer to OSX 10.9 and updated Indigio to 6.0.4 today. Everything is still working fine!

Jeff

Posted on
Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:54 am
jalves offline

Just updated my machines to 10.9.1 and all is fine with this widget. It just keeps working!

Also, for those that have Security Spy installed, the SS Widget also works just fine under 10.9.1.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1