[ANSWERED]Variable not updating

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:57 pm
mlooss offline

[ANSWERED]Variable not updating

I have WeatherSnoop 3 working with Indigo and I set up all the devices I need and they are pulling in data. I created a variable named rainfall and two triggers to update this variable based on how much it rained in the last hour.
Here is my problem, the variable does not update at all. I can test each triggers and they set the variable as expected.
Is there something I am missing here, do I need to run this trigger on a schedule?

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Variable not updating

Can't really tell without the specifics of how the triggers are configured and what the exact actions are...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:23 pm
mlooss offline

Trigger: Device Change --> Rain in 1 Hr is more than 0.1 or less than 0.1
Conditions: Always
Action: Update Variable --> to TRUE if >0.1 and FASLE <0.1

These are just some numbers I picked for testing yesterday and I could see the rain go to 0.3.

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It definitely looks like it should be firing. Now - triggers only fire when the state specified actually changes so you'd need to wait until the value of rain 1 hour changes to cross a boundary. In other words, if the value is 0.3 and changes to 0.2, neither will fire because it didn't cross the 0.1 threshold of your triggers. So you'll want to "prime" your variable manually. Also note that you've got some values missing since you're doing less than 0.1 and greater than 0.1 - if it ever becomes exactly 0.1 it's not necessarily going to show what you believe it should. Assuming you want something like greater than or equal to 0.1 (which we don't support) then you could make it greater than, say 0.099 or something.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:38 pm
mlooss offline

Jay, thanks for your prompt responses. Did I mention how awesome your product is? I am still new to home automation and as we all know, our wives are not to thrilled, but now that I have my Christmas lights automated, she is starting to come around :-)

I realize my thresholds are not correct, but I just wanted to see the variable change. I now changed no rainfall to equal 0 and more than 0.1 when it does rain. I guess I will need to tune these numbers once I get my own weather station.

Now I am actually waiting for rain to see if the variable changes, it did prime it as you had suggested.

Page 1 of 1