INSTEON Motion Sensor

Posted on
Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor

Then when a keypadlinc sent button presses it would read group... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

rjeffl wrote:
OK. Guess I answered one of my own questions.
I can see in the trigger form if I set the type to Insteon Command Received, I can select group 1, 2, or 3.

I guess what has me confused is the Button 1, 2 nomenclature in the log.
Might be less confusing if this were posted to the log as (Group 1) or (Group 2).

Correct, button and group are the same thing internally. In some places we try to special case the name labels we use, but apparently we aren't doing that for the motion sensor.

Group/Button 2 is the light sensor, and Group/Button 3 is the low battery warning, and you are correct you can create Trigger Actions to catch and monitor those.

Posted on
Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 pm
Dewster35 offline

matt (support) wrote:
and Group/Button 3 is the low battery warning, and you are correct you can create Trigger Actions to catch and monitor those.

Except it seems that the internal power level for being able to communicate at all is higher than when the Group/Button 3 Command is sent which never allows that command to be sent ;)

I've got 9 and over the past 4 years, I have gotten maybe 4 or 5 notifications that the battery level is low... and I've gone through a LOT more batteries than that!

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 pm
jltnol offline

So I just got a motion detector, and can't get it to the only ON state. I"ve read the instructions concerning the jumper for Pin 4, but no matter what I do, the device stays in the On/Off mode. I'm not sure this is a totally bad idea, but before I hang on an extension ladder to mount the thing, I'd like to see if anyone had any advice as to how to change this to the ON mode all the time... This seems like something I'd rather have control over in software, so would like to try to get this to work.

I"ve changed the pin while it was in the ON state, I've changed the pin while it was in the OFF state, and I've changed the pin and did a hard reset as well, but still get the On/Off mode.

Since this device has 5 pins, this is one of the newer models..

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!

8)

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:39 pm
Dewster35 offline

Whenever changing a jumper you need to manually hit the set button to get the change to stick.

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:49 pm
jltnol offline

Dewster35 wrote:
Whenever changing a jumper you need to manually hit the set button to get the change to stick.

Yup.. did that... several times.... still no go.

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:33 pm
jltnol offline

Ok... for anyone else trying to do this, the instructions are incorrect. The only thing that worked for me was to move the jumper, and then press the set button SEVERAL times. Only then was I able to get it into the ON only mode.

Now, for what it's worth, after its actually IN the on mode, it works basically the same way, with the exception of NOT sending the "Off" command... By that I mean that even in the ON mode, once activated, it won't send another ON command until the unit times out... so, in my case, only 1 ON command every 30 seconds... nothing more.

So, before you bother with trying to change your detector, I'd advise you to find a way to use it as is from the factory, which is what I'm going to do. I don't really see myself using the OFF command, but I can easily see working around it being there.

Cheers!

Posted on
Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:31 pm
Dewster35 offline

The jumpers are touchy... several times hitting it sounds familiar.

Posted on
Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:31 am
gskarp offline

Is there a way to link the insteon motion sensor to a switch for the on and let just timers do the turning off?

Posted on
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you set it to ON only mode (as described above) then it will only send ON commands - never an off. You should then be able to link it to your light and implement the rest of your logic in timers, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:22 am
jltnol offline

So I have a new motion detector, and it keeps flashing after it is triggered... the manual says

Sensor did not receive an acknowledgement from one or more linked devices.

So I look at the links for this device, and there is one responder listed...which is not in my Indigo database and is grayed out... and can't be edited...

Any suggestions?

Posted on
Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'd factory reset it then redefine and sync. That should completely rebuild the link DB.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:38 pm
jltnol offline

Will do!

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:03 pm
jltnol offline

So was finally able to reset to Factory... ..

Good news is the flashing red light is gone.. but the old link is still stuck internally for some reason....

For the moment, tho, all is well.

Posted on
Thu May 21, 2015 12:28 pm
akimball offline

Any support for the new Insteon Motion Sensor 2842-292 which apparently has an integrated countdown timer?

I'm trying to find a complete list of any new features in the motion sensor... I'm hoping for better low battery notifications mostly.

-Al