Help with XBMC integration

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 pm
stoffergoffer offline

Help with XBMC integration

I'm currently trying to integrate xbmc into indigo, so that i have information about the player status. "playing, paused, stopped" etc.
I tried to follow this guy, but i could not make it work. How have others integrated xbmc into their systems?

Posted on
Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:09 am
tenallero offline

Re: Help with XBMC integration

Hi stoffergoffer,

I am "this guy".
I have devoped an indigo plugin to integrate XBMC.
With this plugin, Indigo receives XBMC's player status, volume level, menu navigated, movie title, ...
From Indigo, I can stop/pause/start the player, close XBMC, change volume level, etc ...
And start XBMC (if same machine than Indigo)

I have three XBMC machine running at home ... and Indigo plugin works ok.
XBMC Eden, Frodo and Gotham (alpha)

I have not published this plugin because I consider it not a finished work, and I have not writen the documentation.
The problem is that I have not enough time to do it.
The same for other plugins that I have developed, but not published. One plugin for control "iRobot Roomba" and other for controling "RaspberryPI PiFace"

If you (or the forum) is interested, I can publish the plugin at the current state of development/documentation.

Ramon
(tenallero)

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 am
stoffergoffer offline

Yes i'm very interested. which bugs do you have at the moment?

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm
durosity offline

tenallero wrote:
One plugin for control "iRobot Roomba"

I’m quite interested in what you’ve been able to do with the Roomba?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:55 pm
Korey offline

tenallero wrote:
If you (or the forum) is interested, I can publish the plugin at the current state of development/documentation.

Ramon
(tenallero)

Very Interested!! :wink:

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:02 pm
tenallero offline

Hi,

At this moment, I only have time to take some screenshots about these plugins.
I promise to publish the code and a little decent documentation.

Link to XBMC images:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fvr9hazhtz0q1cw/UwEqaSNIUR

Link to Roomba images (and video):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3dz6mbrwyw9nlyu/HqSKh_b_YY

About XBMC:
The set is a two pieces of software. The Indigo´s plugin and a XBMC service addon (both coded in python)
The XBMC addon sends info to Indigo about changes inside XBMC (started, quitted, menu navigation, volume, media played)
The Indigo Plugin sends to XBMC orders using XBMC JSON API (play, stop, volume, mute ...)
You can control as many XBMC in your LAN (In my case, 3 different XBMCs on Linux and OSX)

About Roomba:
The plugins is developed around a little board that is plugged to the Roomba's serial connector.
I have not developed the hardware. It is a brilliant work from an engineer nearby I live.
I will publish the contact info to get the board. I am sure he is selling to USA and Europe.
This board connects to your home wifi and has a built-in web server.
So, your Roomba becomes an IP address device in your LAN where you can send orders (clean, stop, dock) and get status information.
You can control as many Roomba as you have (with their own board plugged)

Note:
Inside the videos and pictures about Roomba, you will see that I have transformed my kitchen furniture creating some "hidden house" for my Roomba.
Of course, this is not included inside Indigo plugin & Roomba's board. The "movile" furniture is managed with other Indigo's plugins (Zwave, linear actuator, relays, ...). But illustrates how a Roomba's device can trigger others Indigo´s device actions.
You can see, in my hand, an iPhone running Indigo touch. When I tap in "clean" button ... the door is opened and Roomba starts to clean. When Roomba decides to come back to the dock ... the new state is detected and the door is closed.

Note:
Buff! My english is very bad. Sorry about any confusion due to mistakes in my writing.

Regards,
Ramon

Posted on
Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:16 am
durosity offline

tenallero wrote:
Inside the videos and pictures about Roomba, you will see that I have transformed my kitchen furniture creating some "hidden house" for my Roomba.
Of course, this is not included inside Indigo plugin & Roomba's board. The "movile" furniture is managed with other Indigo's plugins (Zwave, linear actuator, relays, ...). But illustrates how a Roomba's device can trigger others Indigo´s device actions.
You can see, in my hand, an iPhone running Indigo touch. When I tap in "clean" button ... the door is opened and Roomba starts to clean. When Roomba decides to come back to the dock ... the new state is detected and the door is closed.

That is the possibly the most awesome thing i’ve seen in a long time.. it makes such perfect sense to hide the roomba under the kitchen units! My new kitchen isn’t even finished yet and i’m now thinking of cutting it up and copying you ;).. i think my other half might cry!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:24 am
stoffergoffer offline

This looks fantastic. Looking forward to get my hands on the plugins
Last edited by stoffergoffer on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:19 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Ramon,

The Roomba video with hidden docking station is awesome. Thanks for posting them, and I'm looking forward to seeing the plugins in the future.

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:53 pm
markswift offline

Any chance of getting our hands on the files for the XBMC integration?

I would greatly appreciate it!

Posted on
Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:23 am
macguyincali offline

Unbelievable. The possibilities are endless. Must get more robots.

Posted on
Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:28 am
kwijibo007 offline

Hi Ramon,

Regarding the "RaspberryPI PiFace" plugin you mentioned, Is this something you might consider publishing soon? I was considering doing this as my first Indigo plugin but if all the work has already been done...

Pete

Posted on
Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:55 am
macguyincali offline

Has anyone given it any thought to attach a little camera like http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-VueZone-Video-Monitoring-System/dp/B009SPUY5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384699901&sr=8-2&keywords=wifi+battery+powered+camera to the Roomba in order to have a mini roving security bot?

Very excited for this possibility. Roomba is on route.

Posted on
Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 pm
tenallero offline

HI Pete,

I am near to publish about Roomba's plugin.
Next, about XBMC.
Next, about Piface.

May approach to Piface is as follows:

Every one of the 8 Piface inputs are mapped as an individual Indigo binary sensor device.
Every one of the 8 Piface outputs are mapped as an individual Indigo on/off device.
So, you can use normal actions & triggers in Indigo.

I have written a Linux service (in python) that listen the on/off for the indigo devices and pass them to the GPIO.
And, any change detected from the inputs in Piface is passed to Indigo.
I am using sockets for communications.
The plugin is working. In fact, I am managing my garage door every day using it (220V motor, photoelectic sensor, etc)

Ramon

Posted on
Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Hi Ramon,

Sounds excellent. I can't wait to see the plugin.

I was thinking the exact same thing except using the RESTful API for communications. I'm a novice programmer so am sure that sockets are a much better way to do it.

I plan to remove the brains of an old hard wired ADT alarm system with a Piface and Indigo.

Pete