Pioneer Receiver Plugin (FREE)

Posted on
Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 pm
nsheldon offline

Pioneer Receiver Plugin (FREE)

Pioneer Receiver 1.0.8

Download version 1.0.8 here

The main highlights of the Pioneer Receiver plugin are:

• Full Featured Status Information: Nearly every parameter published by Pioneer has a corresponding device state or property within each Indigo device created using the plugin. This allows for virtually unlimited Indigo triggering and control page options based on receiver changes.
  • Basic & Advanced Actions: Both basic and advanced Indigo actions are included in the plugin, from toggling power, setting volume, and selecting input sources to selecting MCACC Memory settings and sending raw commands to the receiver.
  • Non-Interference: Using the plugin will not interfere with Pioneer's iOS apps. Changes made to the receiver from the IR remote, front panel and iOS apps* are reflected in the Pioneer Receiver plugin device states and vice-versa.
  • Virtual Volume Controller: Inspired by birkinet's Meta Device plugin, create any number of "Virtual Volume Controller" devices which appear as native dimmer devices in Indigo. Virtual Volume Controllers can be assigned to control either Zone 1 or Zone 2 volume levels. Use the ON and OFF conditions to control muting in a zone and the brightness level to control volume.

Pioneer Receiver currently supports the VSX-1021-K, VSX-1022-K, VSX-1122-K, VSX-1123-K and SC-75. Other receivers may also work.

* Not including the VSX-1022-K. iOS app connections to the VSX-1022-K are not possible when using the Pioneer Receiver.

Installation

Download the latest version (link above) to the computer on which Indigo server is installed. If the zip file did not automatically expand, double-click on it to unzip it. Double-click the resulting "Pioneer Receiver.indigoPlugin" file. The Indigo client will open and prompt you to install the plugin. Click the option to install and enable it. You'll then be prompted to configure the plugin. The only configuration option is to enable debugging, which you won't want to do unless troubleshooting a problem, so just click the Save button. All done!

Usage

Creating a VSX-1021-K, VSX-1022-K, VSX-1122-K, VSX-1123-K, or SC-75 Device

In order to create a receiver device in Indigo, there are a few requirements. First, the receiver will need to have "Network Standby" enabled in the "Network Setup" menu (accessible through the HOME MENU button on the receiver's IR remote). Second, you'll need to be sure that the receiver's IP address does not change, otherwise the device in Indigo will stop working. If you're receiver's IP address is assigned automatically by your router (most likely the case), you'll need to either configure the receiver to use a manually assigned IP address or configure your router to always assign the same IP address to the receiver. You can configure the receiver for a manually assigned IP address in the "Network Settings" menu and can find the current IP address of the receiver in the "Network Information" menu on the receiver. Finally, the Pioneer Receiver plugin has only been tested with one VSX-1021-K and one VSX-1122-K receivers. There's also support for the VSX-1022-K, VSX-1123-K, and SC-75, though I haven't tested those models. Other models are not yet supported. Other models way work using one of the 4 supported models when configuring the Indigo device. To add a VSX-1021-K, VSX-1022-K, VSX-1122-K, VSX-1123-K or SC-75 device to Indigo...

1. Open the Indigo client and select "Devices" from the "View" menu. Click the "New..." tool bar button to add a new device.
  2. Make the following changes to the dialog settings.
    1. Give the device a name and optional description.
    2. Indigo 5: Select "Plugin" as the device Type. Indigo 6: Select "Pioneer Receiver" as the device Type.
    3. Indigo 5 only: Select "Pioneer Receiver" as the Plugin.
    4. Select "VSX-1021-K", "VSX-1022-K", "VSX-1122-K" or "VSX-1123-K" as the Model.
    5. A configuration dialog will appear.
  3. Enter the IP address of the receiver in the "Receiver IP Address" field.
  4. If you use multiple MCACC memory settings for different listening positions in the room, you can optionally enter labels for each of the 6 MCACC Memory settings. These labels are for display purposes only and have no effect on the operation of the receiver or plugin.
  5. Click the "Save" button then the "OK" button to create the Receiver Device in Indigo.
  6. Pioneer Receiver will immediately attempt to connect to the receiver and gather all of it's status information.

A Note About VSX-1022-K Support: The VSX-1022-K was not designed by Pioneer for use with custom installation and home automation systems like the VSX-1021-K, VSX-1122-K, and VSX-1123-K were, thus the Pioneer Plugin must connect to the 1022 using the same network port as the Pioneer-provided iControl iOS app. This means that if you use the Pioneer Receiver plugin, you cannot use the iOS app at all. The only way to use the iOS app if you've configured Pioneer Receiver is to either disable the VSX-1022-K device in Indigo before trying to use the iOS app, disabling the Pioneer Receiver plugin, or deleting the VSX-1022-K device from Indigo altogether.

Creating a Virtual Volume Controller Device

Virtual Volume Controllers can be used to view and change the volume of any Zone for any Pioneer Receiver device. The advantage of a Virtual Volume Controller is that it shows up in Indigo as a dimmer and can be treated as such in control pages, in Indigo Touch, through AppleScript, and in built-in "Control Light / Appliance" Indigo actions. When the volume of the connected receiver zone changes, the "brightness" of the Virtual Volume Controller changes. When the "brightness" of a Virtual Volume Controller is changed, the volume of the connected receiver zone is adjusted to match. Telling a Virtual Volume Controller to "turn off" mutes the connected receiver zone and telling the Virtual Volume Controller to "turn on" un-mutes the zone, returning to the most recent volume setting. Creating a Virtual Volume Controller is simple.

1. Open the Indigo client and select "Devices" from the "View" menu. Click the "New..." tool bar button to add a new device.
  2. Make the following changes to the dialog settings.
    1. Give the Virtual Volume Controller device a name and optional description.
    2. Indigo 5: Select "Plugin" as the device Type. Indigo 6: Select "Pioneer Receiver" as the device Type.
    4. Select "Virtual Volume Controller" as the Model.
    5. A configuration dialog will appear.
  3. Select the existing VSX-1021-K, VSX-1022-K, VSX-1122-K, or VSX-1123-K receiver device from the Receiver menu in the dialog box.
  4. Select the volume for the zone you wish to control from the Volume Level to Control menu. NOTE: Due to how the VSX receivers are designed, Zone 2 volume is only controllable if Zone 2 is being powered by the internal amp. If Zone 2 is not powered by the internal amplifier, volume and mute messages to the receiver will be ignored by the receiver.
  5. Click "Save" then click "OK".

Creating VSX-1021-K, VSX-1022-K, VSX-1122-K, VSX-1123-K, or SC-75 Actions

Changing most settings on the VSX-1021-K, VSX-1022-K, VSX-1122-K, VSX-1123-K, and SC-75 can be done using Indigo actions, configurable from the Actions tab of any Trigger, Schedule or Control Page action and from any Action Group dialog. Some actions have additional setting requirements (such as selecting a specific input source or setting a zone to a specific volume level). Some actions have no special settings (such as turning the receiver on or off, or toggling mute for a zone). The general process for creating an action is as follows.

1. From within any Trigger, Schedule, Control Page action, or Action Group dialog box, make the following changes to the dialog settings.
    1. Give the action a Name and optional Description.
    2. Indigo 5: Select "Plugin" as the action Type. Indigo 6: Select "Pioneer Receiver Actions", go to any of the category sub-menus and select the action you wish to execute.
    4. Indigo 5 only: Select the action you wish to take on the receiver device from the Action menu.
    5. Select the VSX-1021-K, VSX-1022-K, VSX-1122-K, VSX-1123-K or SC-75 receiver to control from the Device menu.
    6. If the selected Action requires additional configuration, click the "Edit Action Settings..." button. A configuration dialog will appear.
  2. Set action-specifc settings within the configuration dialog. Most settings are self-explanatory. Settings that have special requirements or conditions include descriptive text within the configuration dialog.
  3. Click "Save" to save the action settings. If done adding actions to the Actions tab or dialog, click the "OK" button to save all actions.

Feel free to post comments either here or in this thread

Changes from 1.0.7 to 1.0.8:
  • Fixed another bug that caused the plugin to crash when communicating with the VSX-1123-K.

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:40 pm
polycron offline

Re: Pioneer Receiver Plugin (FREE)

Nathan,

Any thoughts on support for the 1022-k?

Polycron

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:50 pm
nsheldon offline

polycron wrote:
Nathan,

Any thoughts on support for the 1022-k?

Polycron

Actually, support for that model was requested during the beta period (see this thread), but Pioneer doesn't support anything but their own iControl iOS app as a control source. Modifying the plugin to work with the 1022 would require a significant amount of reverse engineering of the 1022's command and communication method, since Pioneer doesn't document it like they do with the VSX-922-K and VSX-1122-K. Since I don't have a VSX-1022-K to reverse-engineer, I'm afraid I won't be able to add support for that specific model.

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm
polycron offline

Understood. Its not worth the effort and headache to support the 1022.

I'm just trying to find something that will work in the $200-$250 price range versus the $400+ range.

Polycron

Posted on
Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:09 pm
nsheldon offline

Understandable. It would appear that Pioneer still considers the ability to control a receiver via telnet to be a "premium" feature. It may be that the 1022 actually supports the same command set used by the other receivers (in fact, this is probably the case, for the most part), but simply changed the connection method. Perhaps you could find a good used VSX-1021-K on eBay for around that price range.

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 pm
cjvilches@mac.com offline

Nathan, thanks for the time you've put into this, the network control thru this plug in is really awesome.

I have an 1121, which is not supported, although it may not be very different from 1021 or 1122. I think other than input adjustment it may support all options and I would be happy to help (although not much of a coder). I configured mine as 1122 for testing purposes.

Below is the event log output when loading the script, attached is the log in debug mode, there are a few errors. Let me know your thoughts.

CharlesXav.

Starting plugin "Pioneer Receiver 1.0" (pid 3015)
Started plugin "Pioneer Receiver 1.0"
Pioneer VSX-1121 Connection established.
Pioneer VSX-1121 Gathering receiver system information.
Pioneer VSX-1121 input source (zone 2): PHONO
Pioneer Receiver Error Pioneer VSX-1121: parameter error.
Pioneer VSX-1121 volume (zone 1): -28.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 audio input/output information updated
Pioneer VSX-1121 video input/output information updated
Pioneer VSX-1121 speaker mode: on - A
Pioneer VSX-1121 front panel lock: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 remote control lock: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 operating mode: Expert
Pioneer VSX-1121 speaker system layout: A Bi-Amped
Pioneer VSX-1121 sleep timer: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 tone control: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 bass tone level: 0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 bass tone level: 0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 MCACC memory: 1:
Pioneer VSX-1121 Phase Control: on
Pioneer VSX-1121 PQLS: on
Pioneer VSX-1121 Virtual Surround Back: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 HDMI Audio Pass-Through: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 listening mode: Extended Stereo
Pioneer VSX-1121 audio signal source: DIGITAL
Pioneer VSX-1121 analog input attenuator: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 Sound Retriever: on
Pioneer VSX-1121 Phase Control Plus time: 6 ms
Pioneer VSX-1121 sound delay: 0.0 sample frames
Pioneer VSX-1121 Digital Noise Reduction: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 Dialog Enhancement mode: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 Dual Mono sound processing: on
Pioneer VSX-1121 fixed rate PCM: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 Dynamic Range Compression: auto
Pioneer VSX-1121 LFE attenuation amount: 0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 SACD gain: 0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 Auto Sound Delay: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 Dolby Pro Logic II Music center width: 3
Pioneer VSX-1121 Dolby Pro Logic II Music panorama: off
Pioneer VSX-1121 Dolby Pro Logic II Music dimension: 0
Pioneer VSX-1121 Neo:6 center image: 0.0
Pioneer VSX-1121 effect level: 90
Pioneer VSX-1121 Dolby Pro Logic IIz height gain: MID
Pioneer VSX-1121 video converter: on
Pioneer VSX-1121 preferred video resolution: AUTO
Pioneer VSX-1121 Pure Cinema mode: auto
Pioneer VSX-1121 video progressive scan motion quality: 0
Pioneer VSX-1121 Advanced Video Adjustment: PDP (Plasma)
Pioneer VSX-1121 video YNR: 0
Pioneer VSX-1121 video detail amount: 0
Pioneer VSX-1121 SBR channel level: 0.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 SL channel level: 1.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 LW channel level: 0.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 RH channel level: 0.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 R channel level: 0.5 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 L channel level: 1.5 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 C channel level: -2.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 SW channel level: 7.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 LH channel level: 0.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 SR channel level: 2.5 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 SBL channel level: 0.0 dB
Pioneer VSX-1121 RW channel level: 0.0 dB
Attachments
Pioneer_VSX1121 debug.txt
(39 KiB) Downloaded 605 times

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:56 pm
cjvilches@mac.com offline

Just an update from my previous post. If the VSX1121 is entered as 1021 there are no errors. Input selection seems to work fine. Testing other functionality.

CX.

Posted on
Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:04 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi Charles.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, changing the model to a VSX-1021-K, as opposed to the 1122 would probably work better. The newer VSX-1122-K supports a few different settings that your previous model year version (the 1121) doesn't support. The supported parameters in the 1121 match more closely to those found in the 1021. I'm betting you won't see any errors with the model set to VSX-1021-K. However, from looking at the compatible parameter list spreadsheet from Pioneer for the 2011 year models, the main differences between the 1021 and the 1121 are the number of HDMI inputs and the number of surround listening modes supported. Here are the differences I can see based on the features and command spreadsheet from Pioneer.

Code: Select all
Feature           VSX-1021-K    VSX-1121-K
===========================================
(Inputs):
VIDEO 2               x
HDMI 2 through 6                     x

(Listening Modes):
THX modes                            x
"Optimum Surround"                   x

(Audio DSP Features):
Virtual Depth                        x

(Video DSP Features):
Stream Smoothing                     x
Chromatic NR                         x
Block NR                             x
Sharpness Adjust       x

(Input Options):
Sound Retriever Air    x

Items in the VSX-1021-K column are supported by the Pioneer Receiver plugin and may or may not cause errors when the plugin attempts to query the status of those settings from the VSX-1121-K. Items in the VSX-1121-K column are not supported by the plugin. When using those features (via IR remote, front panel, iControlAV2 app, or otherwise), the plugin may report errors. If you begin to see lots of errors, let me know and I might be able to add experimental support for the VSX-1121-K (or at least modify the plugin so it doesn't return errors for those instances).

Posted on
Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:55 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Seems my 10 yr old receiver has died. Could you recommend which Pioneer will work
best with the plugin? Since it's not my main squeeze for critical listening I'm leaning
toward the least expensive model that is fully supported and can access Pandora.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:24 pm
durosity offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Seems my 10 yr old receiver has died. Could you recommend which Pioneer will work
best with the plugin? Since it's not my main squeeze for critical listening I'm leaning
toward the least expensive model that is fully supported and can access Pandora.

Thanks,

Carl

I’m awaiting the cheaper version of the 1122, the VSX-922 turning up tomorrow that should work with this plugin.. i’ll update shortly on my findings

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:27 pm
nsheldon offline

There's a list of likely compatible and confirmed compatible receivers in this thread, if that helps.

Posted on
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:21 am
captain-nemo offline

Hi Nathan,

Any chance you'll be adding support for the VSX-2021? The VSK-1021-K setting seem to work well except for the input source list.
If I would be able to select HDMI 1 / 7 from the source list, I would be a happy man!

Thanks,

Jan

Posted on
Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 am
nsheldon offline

Hi Jan.

I can look into supporting the 2021. If using the VSX-1021-K device model works (except for some sources missing), you might try using the VSX-1122-K device model instead. It should allow you to select sources more closely matched to the 2021's source list, including HDMI 1 through 6 (HDMI 7 isn't available on the 1122). Let me know how the 1122 plugin model works compared to the 1021 version.

Regards,
Nathan

Posted on
Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:14 am
captain-nemo offline

nsheldon wrote:
Hi Jan.

I can look into supporting the 2021. If using the VSX-1021-K device model works (except for some sources missing), you might try using the VSX-1122-K device model instead. It should allow you to select sources more closely matched to the 2021's source list, including HDMI 1 through 6 (HDMI 7 isn't available on the 1122). Let me know how the 1122 plugin model works compared to the 1021 version.

Regards,
Nathan

Thanks for your quick reply! Changing to the 1122-K does allow me to see my sources! It does however generate some errors while gathering the device status information. I cant really tell if this has a negative effect on the workings of the plugin:

Pioneer                         Connection established.
  Pioneer                         Gathering receiver system information.
  Pioneer                         input source (zone 2): PHONO
  Pioneer Receiver Error          Pioneer: parameter error.
  Pioneer                         input source (zone 1): Mac Mini
  Pioneer                         volume (zone 1): -32.0 dB
  Pioneer                         audio input/output information updated
  Pioneer                         video input/output information updated
  Pioneer                         speaker mode: on - A+B
  Pioneer                         front panel lock: off
  Pioneer                         remote control lock: off
  Pioneer                         operating mode: Expert
  Pioneer                         speaker system layout: A + Surround Height
  Pioneer                         sleep timer: off
  Pioneer                         tone control: off
  Pioneer                         bass tone level: 0 dB
  Pioneer                         MCACC memory: 1:
  Pioneer                         Phase Control: on - full band
  Pioneer                         PQLS: on
  Pioneer                         Virtual Surround Back: off
  Pioneer                         HDMI Audio Pass-Through: off
  Pioneer                         audio signal source: HDMI
  Pioneer                         analog input attenuator: off
  Pioneer                         Sound Retriever: off
  Pioneer                         Phase Control Plus time: 6 ms
  Pioneer                         sound delay: 0.0 sample frames
  Pioneer                         Digital Noise Reduction: off
  Pioneer                         Dialog Enhancement mode: off
  Pioneer                         Dual Mono sound processing: on
  Pioneer                         fixed rate PCM: off
  Pioneer                         Dynamic Range Compression: auto
  Pioneer                         LFE attenuation amount: 0 dB
  Pioneer                         SACD gain: 0 dB
  Pioneer                         Auto Sound Delay: off
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic II Music center width: 3
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic II Music panorama: off
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic II Music dimension: 0
  Pioneer                         Neo:6 center image: 0.0
  Pioneer                         effect level: 0
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic IIz height gain: MID
  Pioneer                         video converter: on
  Pioneer                         preferred video resolution: AUTO
  Pioneer                         Pure Cinema mode: auto
  Pioneer                         video progressive scan motion quality: 0
  Pioneer                         Advanced Video Adjustment: PDP (Plasma)
  Pioneer                         video YNR: 0
  Pioneer                         video detail amount: 0
  Pioneer                         SBR channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         SL channel level: -7.0 dB
  Pioneer                         LW channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         RH channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         R channel level: -6.5 dB
  Pioneer                         L channel level: -9.5 dB
  Pioneer                         C channel level: -8.5 dB
  Pioneer                         SW channel level: -9.5 dB
  Pioneer                         LH channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         SR channel level: -8.0 dB
  Pioneer                         SBL channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         RW channel level: 0.0 dB

Where before (vsx-1021 selected) it would display this list:

Pioneer                         Gathering receiver system information.
  Pioneer                         volume (zone 1): -35.0 dB
  Pioneer                         power (zone 1): on
  Pioneer                         input source (zone 1): Mac Mini
  Pioneer                         volume (zone 1): -35.0 dB
  Pioneer                         video input/output information updated
  Pioneer                         speaker mode: on - A+B
  Pioneer                         front panel lock: off
  Pioneer                         remote control lock: off
  Pioneer                         speaker system layout: A + Surround Height
  Pioneer                         sleep timer: off
  Pioneer                         tone control: off
  Pioneer                         MCACC memory: 1:
  Pioneer                         Phase Control: on - full band
  Pioneer                         PQLS: on
  Pioneer                         Virtual Surround Back: off
  Pioneer                         HDMI Audio Pass-Through: off
  Pioneer                         listening mode: Dolby Pro Logic + THX Cinema
  Pioneer                         audio signal source: HDMI
  Pioneer                         analog input attenuator: off
  Pioneer                         Sound Retriever: off
  Pioneer                         Phase Control Plus time: 6 ms
  Pioneer                         sound delay: 0.0 sample frames
  Pioneer                         Digital Noise Reduction: off
  Pioneer                         Dialog Enhancement mode: off
  Pioneer                         Dual Mono sound processing: on
  Pioneer                         fixed rate PCM: off
  Pioneer                         Dynamic Range Compression: auto
  Pioneer                         LFE attenuation amount: 0 dB
  Pioneer                         SACD gain: 0 dB
  Pioneer                         Auto Sound Delay: off
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic II Music center width: 3
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic II Music panorama: off
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic II Music dimension: 0
  Pioneer                         Neo:6 center image: 0.0
  Pioneer                         effect level: 0
  Pioneer                         Dolby Pro Logic IIz height gain: MID
  Pioneer                         video converter: on
  Pioneer                         preferred video resolution: AUTO
  Pioneer                         Pure Cinema mode: auto
  Pioneer                         video progressive scan motion quality: 0
  Pioneer                         Advanced Video Adjustment: PDP (Plasma)
  Pioneer                         video YNR: 0
  Pioneer                         video detail amount: 0
  Pioneer                         SBR channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         SL channel level: -7.0 dB
  Pioneer                         LW channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         RH channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         R channel level: -6.5 dB
  Pioneer                         L channel level: -9.5 dB
  Pioneer                         C channel level: -8.5 dB
  Pioneer                         SW channel level: -9.5 dB
  Pioneer                         LH channel level: 0.0 dB
  Pioneer                         power (zone 1): off

Posted on
Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:44 am
nsheldon offline

Hi Jan.

Looks like the 2021 doesn't use some of the same parameters as the 1122, but that's not unusual really. The errors generated when using the VSX-1122-K model type shouldn't affect most functions. It will cause your Indigo receiver device's status to show an "error" status until the device is turned off (as opposed to "On"). I'm not sure if there'd be other issues, so you'll have to try it for a while to test it, at least until the plugin is updated with a 2021 model.

Thanks for sharing your results.

Nathan