DigiTemp - 1 Wire Temperature Plugin (Locked)

Posted on
Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 am
travisc offline

DigiTemp - 1 Wire Temperature Plugin (Locked)

Please see the post below for current information and installation instructions.

DigiTemp Plugin - Information and Installation
Last edited by travisc on Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted on
Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: DigiTemp - 1 Wire Temperature Plugin

NICE! This along with your writeup should help many people who've been asking for temperature sensing options. Heck, I may have to invest as well since I liberally spread Cat5 throughout my house when I built it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:45 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Awesome plugin -- thanks a bunch for sharing it, Travis.

Posted on
Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:47 pm
roussell offline

I get the following error (Indigo 5.0.4 on Snow Leopard using DS9097U and known-good serial/USB adapter):

Code: Select all
DigiTemp Error                  Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 68, in runConcurrentThread
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/DigiTemp.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/DigiTemp.py", line 382, in startComm
<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'nextScanTime' referenced before assignment

DigiTemp Error                  plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed; will attempt again in 10 seconds

Using a separate build of digilink, I am able to read the sensors attached to the DS9097U from the command line.

BTW, I restarted the Mini that it's running on and still get the same error...

Terry

Posted on
Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:05 pm
travisc offline

Hi Roussell,

When do you see that error? When the plugin starts, when you close the config dialog, when you hit the scan button?

EDIT: Actually, can you enable debugging in the plugin config, then restart the plugin. Send me everything in the log from the plugin start to where it chokes.

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:22 am
anode offline

ooooh Does it only support the temp sensors? I have a couple switches from hobby boards that I'd love to use.

Posted on
Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:56 am
travisc offline

ooooh Does it only support the temp sensors? I have a couple switches from hobby boards that I'd love to use.

Yes. It can only support the 1-wire devices that DigiTemp supports.

Posted on
Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 pm
roussell offline

travisc wrote:
Hi Roussell,

When do you see that error? When the plugin starts, when you close the config dialog, when you hit the scan button?

EDIT: Actually, can you enable debugging in the plugin config, then restart the plugin. Send me everything in the log from the plugin start to where it chokes.

Sorry for missing your post. It happens on restart, or upon enabling the plugin if I remember correctly. I'll enable debugging and send the log tonight.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 am
MrJeffreyGee offline

travisc wrote:
Currently only DS9097U and compatible adapters are supported.

What other compatible adapters are supported? I've got a LinkUSB that I would like to get working with your plugin. I read on this guys website (link below) that he got a LinkUSBi to work with digiTemp and the only difference between a LinkUSBi & a LinkUSB is a DS2401 ID chip is embedded in the LinkUSBi.

http://www.finnie.org/2010/03/07/extern ... ith-linux/

He also says on his site: "You'll want the digitemp package, which is pre-packaged in Debian and probably most other Linux distributions. Once it's installed, you'll need to know what program to use. Several are available for different DS masters, but in the LinkUSBi's case, you'll want digitemp_DS9097U."

So it seems like your plugin should work easily with a linkUSB am I right? Not sure if I'm wiring it up incorrectly, but the plugin doesn't seem to see my thermometers.

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 am
travisc offline

From that page it seems like the LinkUSB has an internal FTDI serial-usb chip, that's a good start. Does it show up in the serial port list in the DigiTemp plugin? You would need to have the FTDI serial drivers installed for it to show up, which you may already have if you are using an Insteon PLC.

The DigiTemp plugin is indeed using the DS9097U version of DigiTemp, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Turn on debugging and restart the plugin to see the detailed log. See if that sheds any light. Paste the log here if you still need help.

Travis

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:33 pm
ELWOOD offline

Travis
Just installed your plugin and connected it to a Link USB from ibutton link and there temperature sensor.
The plugin found the Link USB and is reading the temperature from the first temperature sensor I connected.
Got it to write the temperature to a variable.
Hopefully I will add more sensors over the weekend and let you know how its working.

Thank for you time and effort in developing this plugin

Elwood

Posted on
Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:52 pm
travisc offline

@Elwood

Thanks for the update! Nice to hear it works with the LinkUSB.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:21 am
MrJeffreyGee offline

travisc wrote:
From that page it seems like the LinkUSB has an internal FTDI serial-usb chip, that's a good start. Does it show up in the serial port list in the DigiTemp plugin? You would need to have the FTDI serial drivers installed for it to show up, which you may already have if you are using an Insteon PLC.

The DigiTemp plugin is indeed using the DS9097U version of DigiTemp, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Turn on debugging and restart the plugin to see the detailed log. See if that sheds any light. Paste the log here if you still need help.

Travis

Sorry for the delayed reply. It didn't show up in the serial port list and there was actually nothing to select, but that was cause I didn't have the FTDI drivers installed. I installed the latest drivers and then there was two available things to select. I tried both of them, but it doesn't see my thermometer. Could it be my wiring is incorrect? Right now I've got my 1-wire thermometers wired up to an Arduino board and I know they work. I only connected the blue wire (Pin 4 on TIA/EIA 568B cable wiring scheme) from my LinkUSB to the 1-wire thermometer and it doesn't see it. Does your plugin require the other wires to be connected too?

LinkUSBPinOut.png
LinkUSB Pin Out
LinkUSBPinOut.png (48.02 KiB) Viewed 14203 times

I'm also getting the errors below in the event log. I've tried reload/disabling/re-enabling the plugin with no luck too.

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 68, in runConcurrentThread
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/DigiTemp.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/DigiTemp.py", line 382, in startComm
<type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'nextScanTime' referenced before assignment

DigiTemp Error                  plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed; will attempt again in 10 seconds
  DigiTemp Error                  Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:34 am
travisc offline

They call it a 1-wire interface but it actually needs two, Ground and 1-Wire data, for it to work. The 1-wire refers to how many signal wires are required for communication, the common ground requirement is assumed. It's a little mis-leading if you're not an electronics guru.

I'll need more log info than that, that just looks like the last error in the log which doesn't help me. Turn on debugging, reload the plugin, then send me everything from when the plugin starts to when it errors.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:30 am
ELWOOD offline

MrJeffreyGee

My setup has been working fine. I have the LinkUSB connected to 2 iButtonLink T-Sense Temperature Sensor using the RJ45 jacks.
Plus 5 Dallas ds18s20 in a TO-92 package. However I am using the third wire for 5 volt power. The ds18s20 can work with 2 wires (pin 1&2)
as "Parasite Mode" but I think this requires adding a capasitor at the LinkUSB between pin 2 and 4.
Since I am running the sensors on cat5 cable I have the extra wires to pas the 5 volt power to the sensor.

Hook up pins from the LinkUSB to the ds18s20 as the following:

LinkUSB pin 1 and 5 to ds18s20 pin 1 (ground)

LinkUSB pin 2 to ds18s20 pin 3 (+5v power)

LinkUSB pin 4 to ds18s20 pin 2 (1-wire data)

Hope this helps

Elwood