Insteon Health Test Tool app now available

Posted on
Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:40 am
dtich offline

Re: Insteon Health Test Tool app now available

Yes, going offline works. Until.. Does indigo automatically try to take an interface online after a certain interval? Could that have been a script? Or maybe I have a trigger action set to reconnect....? Hmmm. In any case worked fine until the very end when indigo took the interface back. NP, got a pretty full report anyway.

Thx guys.

Posted on
Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:57 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If you choose Interface->Disconnect, then Indigo on its own will never try to reconnect. But it is possible for a reconnect to occur via the reset interfaces action or AppleScript so you might have a trigger or schedule that is reconnecting it. If you can find the Trigger or Time/Date Action causing it (via Event Log), then you could disable it temporarily while you run iHealth.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 am
odavis offline

I have a 2413u and attempted to run the iHealth app today. Before running I disconnected the Interface using Indigo. The iHealth app's screen gives me 4 options:

1. filename and location for the report
2. Number of passes to run
3. "I already have a device file"
4. "Build a device file and run the test"

I leave items 1 & 2 as their defaults. Clicking 3 gives me a file open dialog and I have no idea if I have a device file or not (nothing in the instructions or this thread seem to answer this).

Clicking 4 results in the following message: "Indigo found 0 Insteon evices to be tested out of 0 total devices"

Some posts in this thread seem to indicate I should have a choice of Interface in iHealth. I don't.

Perhaps relevant I only have 3 devices in my system: a LampLinc, an Insteon Motion detector, and the 2413u.

Any clues?

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:38 am
BillC offline

If you've never (successfully) run iHealth, you don't have a device file...the app creates one for you. Click "Build a device file and start the test" instead. And don't disconnect the interface...iHealth will take Indigo off-line while it tests, then restore the link.

The motion detector will not be found as it does not respond to commands...it's a one-way device. The 2413u doesn't appear in the report except implicitly...it's one end of all the link tests. The LampLinc should show up.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 am
odavis offline

I get the same result whether I leave Indigo running with the Interface connected -or- disconnected. 0 devices found.

I may have other communication issue which is part of why I wanted to run the Health Tool.

What I can see:

- The LampLinc does work correctly and the activity for both devices show up in the event log.
- When I initiate the test for phase bridging on the LampLinc I get a blinking red light on my 2413u. I'm not sure if I have different phases in my house; the wiring isn't knob and tube old but it's been around since the 50's. And I've got one of those Federal Pacific non-expandable panels.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 pm
berkinet offline

odavis wrote:
I get the same result whether I leave Indigo running with the Interface connected -or- disconnected. 0 devices found.

I may have other communication issue which is part of why I wanted to run the Health Tool.

#1. Before you start: In Indigo make sure you have at least one device defined and that you can turn it on/off from Indigo's device panel.

#2. If you cannot turn the device on and off you need to make sure the device is properly defined in Indigo. Try deleting it and re-creating the device. If the device can be successfully created, then Indigo has at least some communications with the device.

#3. Once your device is working, start the iHealth tool (do not change anything in Indigo).

#4. Click "Build a device file and start the test" (the default option).

#5 If you continue to get the 0 devices found message, then your device has not been properly created in Indigo and you need to figure out why. To start, look for the file "iHealth-Devices.txt" on your desktop and see if it contains anything. If there is something in the file, please post it back to this topic. Also, please post a screen-shot of the device window in the Indigo client.

Posted on
Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:37 pm
hamw offline

I have a dud access point. Tried resetting it and no joy. Does the Health Tool have any means of testing the functionality of an access point, and if not, is that a worthwhile thing to consider?

Posted on
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:48 am
odavis offline

berkinet wrote:
#1. Before you start: In Indigo make sure you have at least one device defined and that you can turn it on/off from Indigo's device panel.

#2. If you cannot turn the device on and off you need to make sure the device is properly defined in Indigo. Try deleting it and re-creating the device. If the device can be successfully created, then Indigo has at least some communications with the device.

#3. Once your device is working, start the iHealth tool (do not change anything in Indigo).

#4. Click "Build a device file and start the test" (the default option).

#5 If you continue to get the 0 devices found message, then your device has not been properly created in Indigo and you need to figure out why. To start, look for the file "iHealth-Devices.txt" on your desktop and see if it contains anything. If there is something in the file, please post it back to this topic. Also, please post a screen-shot of the device window in the Indigo client.

The LampLinc has been working fine (could dim connected lights). One thing I hadn't done properly was ensure that I had bridged phases. Tonight I took the time to put my PLM 2413u into phase detection mode and then moved the LampLinc around until I found an outlet where it blinked green. Once I did this the LampLinc no longer showed in Indigo so I redid the define and link and once that was done could control it again.

I started iHealth and chose the default options and once again it found zero devices. The text file on my desktop is completely empty.

Just for fun I deleted the lamplinc device and re-added it. Same results.

One other thing: after the message about finding 0 devices there is a pause and then an Apple Script dialog appears which says "Application Isn't Running".

Posted on
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:34 pm
odavis offline

Finally got it to work. The trick? Restart the Mac running Indigo. Worked like a champ after that. Health looks good to me, but what do I know?

Per-device statistics: name success min avg max stdev avg

dimmer living room 10 0.181 0.183 0.184 0.001 ***
lamplinc dining room 10 0.181 0.182 0.184 0.001 ***
toggle front porch 10 0.181 0.183 0.184 0.001 ***

Whole-house statistics:

Success rate: 30 / 30 100.0%
Good, bad, total devices: 3, 0, 3 (good means >=95% reachable)
Average RTT: 0.183

Posted on
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm
berkinet offline

hamw wrote:
I have a dud access point. Tried resetting it and no joy. Does the Health Tool have any means of testing the functionality of an access point, and if not, is that a worthwhile thing to consider?
Unfortunately, testing the access point is a completely separate issue. I suppose it could be done in some manner, it would all depend on what diagnostics the AP supported and how messed up it was.

But, in the end these things pretty much work, or they don't work. If they don't work, you reset them, if they still don't work they go back to wherever they came from. In other words, even if you could diagnose a problem in the AP, there is probably nothing you could do about it in your home.

Posted on
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm
berkinet offline

odavis wrote:
Finally got it to work.
Glad to hear you resolved the problem. I have no idea why a restart would fix the problem, but then again that's why we hope the North American Defense system doesn't run on Windows or OS X.

Posted on
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:38 pm
hamw offline

[quoteBut, in the end these things pretty much work, or they don't work.][/quote]

Kinda what I figured. Thanks and I'll return it.

Posted on
Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:35 am
teejay6 offline

I just discovered this tool. It worked correctly right out of the box, and the output helped guide me in repositioning my Access Points. Thanks much.

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 am
bschollnick2 offline

Does anyone know if iHealth works with Indigo v5 yet? I was having some odd issues when I went to run it against v5...

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I can't remember how it gets its device information - if it digs it out of the DB directly then it might have some problems because the DB format changed a bit. If it's using AppleScript or the RESTful APIs to get device data then I think it should work...

Richard/Sean will have to look into it I guess when they have a chance.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 5 of 15 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15