Insteon Health Test Tool app now available

Posted on
Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 pm
berkinet offline

Insteon Health Test Tool app now available

The Insteon Health Test Tool is now available as a double-clickable application in the User Contribution Library under Reporting. The Overview says it all:
iHealth sends Insteon requests to the devices listed in a devices file and measures the response time. Results can help find problem devices or areas that have poor signal propagation. This application is based on the original Perl script from seanadams. This update packages that script as an OS X app called iHealth. All required Perl modules are included.

NOTE: iHealth works on OS 10.5 and 10.6, PowerPC and Intel. iHealth will also run on Tiger, but some problems have been observed. Specifically, the URL passed to Safari to view the report may wrong and the PLM interface may not be brought back online automatically.

Enjoy.

Posted on
Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon Health Test Tool app now available

This is fantastic -- it gives very useful information for PowerLinc 2412/2413 owners about their INSTEON network. Thanks to you and Sean for contributing this terrific tool to everyone!

Here is the download link, and here is information on the installation and usage copied from the User Contribution Library:

Installation
Uncompress the zip file and drag the app to the directory of your choice.

Usage
Double click on the app and select the options you wish in the GUI window.

iHealth automatically checks to see if Indigo is running, and if it is, the PLM interface is disconnected, and then re-connected after the tests are complete. The GUI provides options for the number of iterations, the location of the output files and the ability to select an existing device file or have the program create one for you.

If you choose to have iHHealth create the device file it will automatically filter out X10 devices and Insteon wireless devices. While iHealth is running, the incremental results of the test process are displayed in Safari and a terminal window tracks the number of iterations completed and the number of devices tested. It is not necessary to save the Safari window since the full report is also saved to disk.

Should iHealth find more than one interface you will be prompted to select the interface to use for testing.

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 am
stoney offline

I get an error "Use of uninitialized value $count_in in numeric eq (==) at ./insteon_health.pl line 230."

The code there is:

my ($count_in, $string_in) = $port->read(1);

if ($count_in == 0) {
# warn "TIMEOUT\n";
return 0;
}

I'm not clear on what's going on here, but it happened on about 1/4 of my 90 devices on passes 1-3, and now it's stopped. I also got three "Power Failure" events while this was going on. Seems odd.

Also note that the report is created with a .txt extension, while it should be .html.

This is a great utility! Thanks.

- Stoney

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:08 am
seanadams offline

stoney wrote:
I get an error "Use of uninitialized value $count_in in numeric eq (==) at ./insteon_health.pl line 230."

This means Indigo is still trying to talk to the PLM (we need to add a more informative error to that effect and stop running the test when it happens). There is some applescript that is supposed to disconnect it automatically but apparently it is not working.

In indigo, try manually doing Interface -> Disconnect before running the script, then reconnect it when you're done.

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am
berkinet offline

stoney wrote:
...I'm not clear on what's going on here, but it happened on about 1/4 of my 90 devices on passes 1-3, and now it's stopped. I also got three "Power Failure" events while this was going on. Seems odd.

Also note that the report is created with a .txt extension, while it should be .html.
Stoney:

Which MACOS version are you running (10.4, 10.5 or 10.6), and what is your hardware CPU (Intel or PPC)?
Last edited by berkinet on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm
snrubel offline

Any possibility of making this work on a 2414?

Matt - Is there a quickie guide someone has written that indicates the differences b/w 2412/13/14/S/U?

I've been running my USB 2414 for a long time; is it worth the money to upgrade now and/or is a future version of Indigo going to support some functionality similar to this tool that will work with my 2414?

--Larry

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:58 pm
berkinet offline

snrubel wrote:
Any possibility of making this work on a 2414?

As far as I know, no, at least not at this time. The 2414 is actually a full powerline controller (PLC), while the 2412 & 2413 are simpler (at least functionally) powerline modem (PLM) interfaces. Thus, the 241[23] can be managed by software to provide the ping like test function.

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Larry,
snrubel wrote:
Matt - Is there a quickie guide someone has written that indicates the differences b/w 2412/13/14/S/U?

We have this wiki article, this and this forum posts, and a user review of the 2413.

Posted on
Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:12 am
stoney offline

My server is is a Mac Mini (Core 2 duo @ 1.83GHz) with 1GB of memory, running 10.6.2.

Posted on
Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:43 am
kalisphoenix offline

Just wanted to drop by and leave a note.

Works beautifully on a Mac mini (latest revision) with Snow Leopard and Indigo Pro 4.1.5. Flawlessly picked out the devices that needed to be tested, ignored the ones that shouldn't, timed out gracefully on some devices that I defined but don't have plugged in, gave sane values for everything, and in general just kicked butt.

Good job, and much quicker than the old script :-)

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:49 am
Matt offline

This is an awesome tool! It ran through my list of devices and spit out the results in a matter of a few minutes.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with that one laggy switchlinc in my bedroom...

Thanks guys!

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:54 pm
IslandLife offline

This is what I get on my Mini running Leopard:

Reading device file
Reading device # 10
There are 10 Insteon devices to test
using /dev/cu.usbserial-8B5CD862
Can't open /dev/cu.usbserial-8B5CD862: Resource busy

Starting test pass # 1 of 50
Testing device # 1 of 10Can't call method "write" on an undefined value at ./insteon_health.pl line 209.
This window will automatically close in 30 seconds
logout

I did disable the PowerLinc when running the test.

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:58 pm
berkinet offline

It sounds like Indigo still had the PLM locked. Try quitting Indigo completely and re-running the test.
Last edited by berkinet on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:15 pm
IslandLife offline

Same result with app closed ...

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:18 pm
berkinet offline

Which Powerline interface are you using?