Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:05 am
siclark offline

Re: Shelly TRV

I got a new error today.

Code: Select all
   ShellyMQTT Error                Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

File "plugin.py", line 1348, in dispatchEventToDevice
type: (1465996770,)

I think it was due to the device having dropped off the network, but if so, it would be nice to handle this better, and maybe have a way to alert?

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:52 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
My vote is (a).

Clive?

And my vote is B

I watched the Shelly Custom States this morning for 20 minutes and the Setpoint was 18c, the Rad Temp was 17.1c so the valve should be open but it sat on 0.

The Rad Temp went to 17.2c, 17.3c, 17.4c over a 20 minute period and still the valve position was 0, at that point I increased the Setpoint to 19c and the valve-position went to 49, I reset the Setpoint back to 18c and it stayed at 49 so it seems to me it should have updated when it was letting the radiator go from 17.1c to 17.4c but did not.

I would not trust the valve position to trigger the flame on and off, it also takes 2-3 minutes for a change to occur, hence why I trust B and not A

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:49 am
autolog offline

CliveS wrote:
siclark wrote:
My vote is (a).

Clive?

And my vote is B

I watched the Shelly Custom States this morning for 20 minutes and the Setpoint was 18c, the Rad Temp was 17.1c so the valve should be open but it sat on 0.

The Rad Temp went to 17.2c, 17.3c, 17.4c over a 20 minute period and still the valve position was 0, at that point I increased the Setpoint to 19c and the valve-position went to 49, I reset the Setpoint back to 18c and it stayed at 49 so it seems to me it should have updated when it was letting the radiator go from 17.1c to 17.4c but did not.

I would not trust the valve position to trigger the flame on and off, it also takes 2-3 minutes for a change to occur, hence why I trust B and not A

Joining the conversation, I would vote for A :lol:

It could be made auser selectable option. :wink:

I think the 17.2 -> 17.3 -> 17.4 could just be an ambient change, unless you checked the input flow?

I am currently have 12 TRVs and 6 H&T pluses being controlled by Node Red.

In my experience, dodgy valves can cause issues e.g. the TRV might say it is open 8% but still no water is flowing. Also when there is just a small difference between between the setpoint and the target temperature it can take a while to open up.

Another setting to set (which seems counter intuitive) is Settings > Under Floor Heating Mode. [Оnly the data from the external sensor is valid, without taking into calculations changes from the built-in one.]

On a couple of radiators with dodgy valves, when the TRV is turned off (valve = 0), I force a calibrate that makes sure the valve is actually closed.

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:13 am
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
It could be made auser selectable option. :wink:

I think the 17.2 -> 17.3 -> 17.4 could just be an ambient change, unless you checked the input flow?

Yes to user selectable and no I did not check as I was in bed watching it on the iPad mini :)

autolog wrote:
I am currently have 12 TRVs and 6 H&T pluses being controlled by Node Red.

I have 1 H&T Plus and am not that impressed with it, on battery power it updates about once an hour and the idea of having USB cables run to each one is not something I would want.
autolog wrote:
In my experience, dodgy valves can cause issues e.g. the TRV might say it is open 8% but still no water is flowing. Also when there is just a small difference between between the setpoint and the target temperature it can take a while to open up.

Yes, I agree with that, I have several dodgy valves, for the time being a good spray of WD40 seems to have freed them up

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:17 am
siclark offline

Adding in a comment about changing to 19 then back to 18 and the valve remaining open at 49%. It is definitely slow to change (possibly slower than the Spirits, but that might help with battery life) but that doesnt mean we should be seeing the flame icon showing heating if the valve is not actually open.

Now if you are feeling hot water flowing into the rad and the valve shows zero then as Jon says, either it was just climate, ie sun shinging on windows, other rooms getting warmer, you need to calibrate it as its not quite closed, or you have a faulty device?

If the valve is not opening when you feel it should its likely a setting, ie thermostats often wait for a 1 degree difference before coming on. But something you could ask Shelly.

Posted on
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 am
siclark offline

CliveS wrote:
I have 1 H&T Plus and am not that impressed with it, on battery power it updates about once an hour and the idea of having USB cables run to each one is not something I would want.

Dont look at the graph on Shelly app, it only displays hourly (with a max and min, so it does report multiple temperatures in that time) but actually reports at 0.5 degree changes. You can set up charts in MQTT explorer to monitor or plot in Grafana for a more long term solution.

However I dont feel that is frequent enough, and whist reporting at 0.1 degree would decrease battery life, that should be a user choice . I have raised to Shelly but the more people that do the more chance a new FW release lets us change it to report more often.

Posted on
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:30 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

If anyone is up for some testing, I have a new branch that adds options for picking the heating status: https://github.com/AaronLionsheep/Shell ... ue-136.zip

In the device config there is now a "Heating Status" menu. You can pick either "Valve Control" or "Temperature". Each option offers a threshold field. In "Valve Control", the device will indicate it is heating if the valve position is greater than the threshold you specify. In "Temperature", the device will indicate it is heating if the distance between the current temperature and the set point is greater than the threshold.

The icon used for an "Idle" state is the grey, empty flame icon. The "Heating" state uses the colored flame icon.

I believe this should offer the three of you solutions you all wanted. If I missed something then please let me know.

Posted on
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:06 pm
CliveS offline

I have tested the "temperature" options, the Status now does show grey or coloured correctly but the "Heat Setpoint" flame does not mirror the Status flame, it is always showing the flame.

CliveS

Posted on
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:14 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

CliveS wrote:
I have tested the "temperature" options, the Status now does show grey or coloured correctly but the "Heat Setpoint" flame does not mirror the Status flame, it is always showing the flame.

Yeah I didn't make the thermostat state change just yet. Would the appropriate values be:

Idle: "Off"
Heating: "Heat On"
Schedule Active: "Program Heat"

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 2.12.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 2.12.40 PM.png (26.81 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

Posted on
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:23 pm
CliveS offline

It always shows Heat On and the flame mirrors the status flame (well it does that on the Evohome TRV plugin)

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:27 am
siclark offline

siclark wrote:
Cheers that sounds amazing. Will check today.

I think it’s an indigo to HomeKit issue, see attached screen shots.

Hi Aaron, good news in that your latest version seems to have fixed the Homekit issue, and I am now seeing the correct set point showing in Homekit, ie that matches what is displayed in Indigo and Shelly app.

Posted on
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:16 pm
siclark offline

Despite a last blast on sunshine, autumn is not far away and I'm thinking of heating again.

I'd like to expand my Shelly TRVs this year, replacing leave ones. I'm wondering how cheap people have managed to buy them in various deals and black Friday events.

Currently Shelly's own EU store seems to work out at £55 each if I buy 4 including first time 10% discount.

Should I wait for black Friday or anything else?

Posted on
Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:23 pm
kw123 offline

I will get ride of mine, have 10.

But shipping from the eu to England / gb has become difficult - import tax
If you know a way to do this we can talk price.

They all work.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:16 am
siclark offline

Cheers. Will DM you.

Posted on
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:42 pm
aaronlionsheep offline

I know I agreed to look into some features for better integrating an external temperature sensor (hardware or injecting an existing Indigo device/variable). I haven't touched the TRV after appearing to get it behaving correctly in HomeKit, but I'm still willing to make any changes as you begin using them again. I'm assuming these are a winter-only device.

Also, just a reminder that I don't have this device nor do I have a way to test it, so there will be a bit of back and forth getting the changes just right.