Contemplating a new Mini

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:43 pm
neilk offline

Contemplating a new Mini

Hi all,
I currently have a dedicated i5 2012 Mini running Indigo headless in a cabinet in my garage, and an identical spec machine for plugin development, general browsing, etc running dual monitors. I am thinking of getting a new mini for the dev machine, and ultimately will need to replace the Indigo box. What are the hives thoughts on decent specs ?

- Contemplating a 16GB/256SSD Mini and happy to add an external if I need more storage for the dev/general machine

If I go the whole hog and replace both it gets a little expensive. I have also considered a screen damaged MacBook Air or Pro to run Indigo which do come up on eBay.

Any other thoughts or experiences, a lot of the Air's have only 8Gb or Ram and small SSD's

Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:28 am
jltnol offline

Re: Contemplating a new Mini

I would think the specs you mentioned would be more than enough for Indigo. I, too ran it on a headless MacMini for many years, but have since moved for a variety of reasons to a newer M1 iMac.

Posted on
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:35 am
eme jota ce offline

I ran from a headless mini for many years, and it worked well, but have switched to a MacBook Air primarily because the new Z-wave sticks can't just be pulled from the mac's USB port and walked around the house for inclusion / exclusion of remote devices, anymore. They can only include / exclude while connected to the Mac. TheMB Air can be walked around with the stick stick attached, though. Also, there's the advantage of built-in battery backup with the laptop.

An M1 MBA runs Indigo and Security Spy with 20 cameras, no sweat.

Posted on
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:32 am
jltnol offline

So I've had my Z-stick connected to my iMac, centrally located in my house, and haven't had any issues with inclusion with devices that are not near. But of course, everyone's house is different...

Page 1 of 1