Likely obvious answer but worth asking

Posted on
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:56 pm
mundmc offline

Likely obvious answer but worth asking

Hi,
Am I correct that I can use ALL of the inexpensive zibee goodness out there if I get this up and working?

I have been happy with MQTT/Shims, but, at least in my case, adding a new device is not the quickest endeavour. This seems like there is a down payment on effort and pretty easy integration of new Zigbee devices into Indigo afterwards.

Am I in the ballpark? My finger is itching to click Buy Now on the Elevation hub.

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:09 am
CliveS offline

Re: Likely obvious answer but worth asking

mundmc wrote:
Hi,
Am I correct that I can use ALL of the inexpensive zibee goodness out there if I get this up and working?

Not all zigbee devices play nice, stay clear of Aqara (they are only 'Aqara Zigbee' so that they force you to use their hub and cloud), you can get them to work but the motion and contact sensors I have fall off the network very fast.

Not all Zigbee devices have drivers but an active community gets them included reasonably fast.
mundmc wrote:
I have been happy with MQTT/Shims, but, at least in my case, adding a new device is not the quickest endeavour. This seems like there is a down payment on effort and pretty easy integration of new Zigbee devices into Indigo afterwards.
Am I in the ballpark? My finger is itching to click Buy Now on the Elevation hub.

I also had problems getting my head around Shims and when Jon first mentioned Hubitat Hub plugin I jumped in, yes a learning curve but well worth the effort. If you need pointers to devices that do work well and don't cost the earth just ask.

I now have 36 zigbee devices working in Indigo and just received another 2 devices (both Aqara, long story but they will work with Indigo in the next month or two.)

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:03 am
MarcoGT offline

I hit the buy button months ago (for me and for my father who also runs Indigo).
I have added a lot of devices, very happy.

LIDL bulbs mainly.
It is not yet in production as I am building new house, but the inclusion went very smooth.

Posted on
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:53 am
mundmc offline

Thanks gents; I appreciate the specific references to Aquara, as Amazon really wants me to buy their stuff and i was already suspicious they would not play nice out-of-the-box.

Page 1 of 1