Plugin for Haiku Fan with SenseME

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Plugin for Haiku Fan with SenseME

Let me clarify:

Indigo 2022.1 runs equally well on all versions of macOS since 10.12 (Sierra). We install our own Python 2 and Python 3 on ALL macOS releases, and it doesn't use any Apple-installed version (either preinstalled or installed from Xcode). It does not interfere with the built-in Python 2 install on earlier macOS releases, it just ignores it.

Python 2 (old) plugins will still run (mostly, there are a couple that may not so check with the developers or other users of those plugins). It will also run new Python 3 plugins.

Finally, if something happens and one has determined that they can't run Indigo 2022.1 to their satisfaction, it's easy enough to just shut down 2022.1 completely and then restart 2021.2.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 2:04 pm
norcoscia offline

OK, great I just checked I’m on Big Sur - (version 11) so I should be OK :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 2:11 pm
norcoscia offline

Sigh, “mostly” and “will” are not the same. I’ll look through the boards for the plug-ins that are show stoppers :-)

Thanks for the clarification…

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 2:12 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The only one I know of at the moment that doesn't work is INDIGOplotD, and Karl is working on an update to it at the moment. There could be others, but what Karl was doing was somewhat out of the ordinary so I wouldn't expect any others to be doing it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 2:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Correction, according to this post Karl thinks that version works.

So, I don't recall any that aren't working at the moment.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 2:25 pm
norcoscia offline

OK, thanks - not the right place but since I’m potentially staring down the barrel of a lot of hunting around - is there still no mechanism that will allow users to list devices, triggers, schedules, action groups and control pages that use a plug-in? It is a ton of work to search by hand - especially since something might be buried in a condition or internal action.

Please say yes - not being able to do this has always been a huge problem when switching anything - now it is an order of magnitude worse with so much changing with the P3 update.

PS. I’m sure Karl can fix anything- I know he just moved to Vienna so maybe he just has not had time to unpack his Superman outfit- look up in the sky, it’s a bird it’s a plane - no it is Karl - and yes I crack myself up

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 2:39 pm
howartp offline

norcoscia wrote:
OK, thanks - not the right place but since I’m potentially staring down the barrel of a lot of hunting around - is there still no mechanism that will allow users to list devices, triggers, schedules, action groups and control pages that use a plug-in? It is a ton of work to search by hand - especially since something might be buried in a condition or internal action.

As it happens, i'm exploring a plugin at the moment that may eventually facilitate this, but it's nowhere near ready yet.

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 2:50 pm
norcoscia offline

That would be the most welcome and wanted plug-in I can think of - it would solve one of the biggest issues when making changes - I have so many items (many I have not had to look at for years) - not having a way to search seems unbelievable to me.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 3:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Um, can't you just look at the plugins on the Plugins menu?

Why would you need to look for all plugin implemented stuff to just upgrade? What am I missing?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 3:51 pm
norcoscia offline

If a plug in is having problems (not working) I would need to move that function(s) by implementing it in a different way - but not knowing what might not work is hard since different things happen at different times and for different reasons.

I printed out my active plug-ins - the first one is adapters - I have no idea where and how many times I have used it so that means either I hope it works (after a change) or I find out at some point because something looks weird or does not happen when it should have.

I’m not even sure which plug-ins are part of indigo core anymore - is SQL Logger part of indigo core - I can’t remember - you look at this stuff all day so your perception is not my reality - not even close. So please don’t say - “I don’t do that” and assume no one else might want or need to. Is Email+ part of indigo core now - I think so but I’m not 100% sure - cause like I mentioned I don’t work on indigo everyday - Consider me a dumb customer and try to make your product as easy as possible for me - pretend I’m paying for it if it helps :-)

I have 28 active plug-ins and hundreds and hundreds of schedules and triggers etc.

PS. I was just kidding - I am of course paying for it :lol:

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2022 5:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The docs show what plugins are included with each version of Indigo. Checking the docs should always be the first thing when looking for that kind of information.

If something breaks, you should get errors that point you in the right direction. If you don't think you use a plugin, disable it. If nothing breaks then it's safe to remove.

Indigo is an advanced DIY product by design - it's large and somewhat complex. But that complexity comes at a cost. We do what we can to help, weighing all our priorities, but the user bears some responsibility for maintaining their systems over time. Like with any sufficiently complex system, it requires a proportionate amount of refactoring that's correspondent to the amount of change.

This topic has gotten way off base. Time to bring it back around to the Haiku Fan plugin. For questions about upgrading, please use the Installing/Moving/Upgrading forum instead.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:29 pm
gt3mike offline

howartp wrote:
Fixing the old issues and making py3 is relatively simple.

Moving to new firmware, less so!

https://github.com/jfroy/aiobafi6 looks promising.

Has anyone experimented with this new Python library for the Big Ass Fans i6 protocol yet?

(How's that @jay for getting us back on topic?) :D

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:38 pm
gt3mike offline

FYI I installed it, and "aiobafi6 -s" does appear to discover my fan. So that seems positive.

Here's the help from the command line:

Code: Select all
% aiobafi6 -h
usage: aiobafi6 [-h] [-s] [-i IP_ADDR] [-d] [-r] [-t INTERVAL] [property] [value]

Command line tool for aiobaf6. The tool supports a direct connection mode that is more powerful for debugging.

positional arguments:
  property              property name
  value                 property value

options:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -s, --discover        discover devices
  -i IP_ADDR, --ip IP_ADDR
                        device address
  -d, --dump            enable proto dumping
  -r, --direct          directly connect to device, bypassing library
  -t INTERVAL, --interval INTERVAL
                        property query interval

And here's the discovery output:

% aiobafi6 -s
INFO:2022-07-08 14:37:48,003:aiobafi6.discovery: Service Main Bedroom 1D:44:38._api._tcp.local. state changed: ServiceStateChange.Added
INFO:2022-07-08 14:37:48,003:aiobafi6.discovery: Resolved service Main Bedroom 1D:44:38._api._tcp.local.: device_name=`Main Bedroom`, model=`Haiku H/I Series`, uuid=c547e94f-985d-41f7-a331-5ee4e2983e7f,  api_version=4, ip_addresses=['192.168.20.11'], port=31415
== Discover ==
(Service(ip_addresses=('192.168.20.11',), port=31415, uuid='c547e94f-985d-41f7-a331-5ee4e2983e7f', service_name='Main Bedroom 1D:44:38._api._tcp.local.', device_name='Main Bedroom', model='Haiku H/I Series', api_version='4'),)
^C
%   

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 pm
Ramias offline

gt3mike wrote:
howartp wrote:
Fixing the old issues and making py3 is relatively simple.

Moving to new firmware, less so!

https://github.com/jfroy/aiobafi6 looks promising.

Has anyone experimented with this new Python library for the Big Ass Fans i6 protocol yet?

(How's that @jay for getting us back on topic?) :D

Not yet. I've modified the current plugin with the old firmware to work with Python 3 and future versions of Indigo but I've not looked at any of the python libraries or what it would take to get those to work with the new firmware.

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:27 am
gt3mike offline

I played with aiobafi6 a little more and figured out how to stop a fan.

aiobafi6 -i 192.168.20.11 fan_mode 0

I run this via shell script from an action group when I switch the lights off in a room. Seems to work exactly as expected.

I didn't see a list of the i6 commands anywhere, but "aiobafi6 -i IP_ADDRESS" returns all of the properties of the fan, so it was easy to figure out.

Hope this is helpful.