Is Insteon on the back nine?

Posted on
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:26 pm
Jim offline

Is Insteon on the back nine?

I haven't really been paying much attention because everything pretty much just works but I went looking for an on/off outlet to replace one that went bad. Found no inventory. I guess it could be supply chain issues but I starting reading and it looks like Nokia Smart Lighting is a new Smartlabs company.

I've always found Insteon to have the most complete line of devices (switched, dimming plugs, etc). I'm certainly invested in the technology. Maybe its just time with Thread/Matter starting to gel.

Jim

Posted on
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Is Insteon on the back nine?

Z-Wave has had a much broader selection of devices and features from a bunch of different manufacturers for many years now - that's a major reason why we recommend it over Insteon (though also reliability and speed are also factors).

And, yeah, it's unclear what's really going on with Insteon. The Nokia deal is pretty much just a licensing of the name/brand - it's still Insteon/Smarthome behind it as far as we can tell.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:56 am
hamw offline

I wrote Smartlabs regarding the new Nokia units as well as if Insteon dimmers etc would be available. Here's a synopsis of the reply.

--"Insteon switches are manually linkable to the Nokia Smart Lighting switches, and there will be backward compatibility built into the Nokia Smart Lighting app for Insteon switches. There will be some limitations, on functionality, with legacy Insteon switches as you see today with the current Insteon Hub."

--Regarding Indigo software: "No information regarding Nokia Smart Lighting being used with 3rd party software other than the Nokia Smart Lighting application, so cannot comment on if it will work or not."

--"We hope to have Dimmer Switches back in stock early next year."

Have you all been able to look at the Nokia switches? While I agree that zWave is probably the future, many of us have large installed Insteon systems. Good to see it may not go away completely...

Posted on
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No, we haven't seen the Nokia branded stuff. The statement that you post above seems to indicate that the Nokia devices won't work with Insteon PowerLincs (the second statement) but who knows?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:30 pm
rweil1 offline

Just thought I would pass this on. I've been trying to find the Insteon 2450 I/O Lincs to no avail. I use them for my garage doors. Smarthome repsonded today with this

Thank you for contacting Smarthome Support.

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused. We understand that you would like to know about the availability of our products, we would be happy to assist you further!

We had escalated the issue to our resources, and we got an update stating that the Insteon I/O Linc (Item # 2450) is a discontinued product, and we do not have any immediate plans to bring the Insteon I/O Linc (Item # 2450) back in due to limited sales.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We are sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

Feel Free to write to us for any further assistance.

So that sucks!.

I will eventually start a new thread specifically for suggestions to replace these. I LOVE the Insteon keypads both 6 and 8 button that show the status at a glance.

Posted on
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:42 pm
hamw offline

I think that Phidgets or another input output device like that would work really well. I currently control a water valve with on off position sensing using a Phidgets device.

Berkinet is apparently working on a plug-in for the new modules… Hopefully he will be get that released.

Posted on
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:21 am
Redburga offline

I'm wondering what to do about the Insteon situation, too.
Are there any kind of multi-button Z-Wave devices like the Insteon Keypad Linc switches? I have a few KeypadLinc switches and they're terrific and solve several problems.
I see Lutron has multi-button switches (but I'm not sure they light up), but those are for their systems and are no Z-wave.

Posted on
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:33 pm
Jim offline

I’ve started moving my home over to HomeKit / Thread. True to say there aren’t many devices yet but it seems they are coming. So far great luck with the Nanoleaf A19 bulb, Wemo plug and Eve Energy plug. Having a wall switch dimmer and a plug dimmer on Thread would go a long way in my transition.

Page 1 of 1