IndigoServer Crash 2021.1.0

Posted on
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:21 pm
davinci offline

Re: IndigoServer Crash 2021.1.0

I have always had multiple of 1000s. Seems weird indeed.

Posted on
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 am
davinci offline

Crashed two times this night.
After 55000 s and after 47000 s after boot.

I am wondering how many user actually have crash reports in the macOS console.

Posted on
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:25 am
davinci offline

I completely reinstalled the Mac Mini from scratch.
Maybe this will fix the issue (on Apples side).

Strange is that the installation of Indigo requires Rosetta 2.

However I am really wondering how many crashes a "normal" user might have, that are not caught.

Posted on
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:35 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We haven't see or heard any reports of similar crashes, so I think it is likely fairly unique to your configuration and or macOS install. Let's see if your macOS reinstall fixes it.

I wouldn't read too much into the Time Awake Since Boot crash report field on the crash report. After googling around I'm not convinced the values reported in the crash report log are accurate and/or precise.

Posted on
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:43 pm
davinci offline

It did crash again. :roll:

Code: Select all
2021-07-20 06:37:00.758   Application   Starting Indigo Server version 2021.1.0 on macOS Version 11.4 (Build 20F71)
2021-07-20 06:37:00.994   Application   Loading database "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 2021.1/Databases/Haus.indiDb"
2021-07-20 06:37:01.412   Application   Stopped plugin process (pid 412)
2021-07-20 06:37:01.443   Application   Loading disabled plugins

The restart was almost immediate. Happened in under one second. However all schedules were cancelled.

I now suspect pid 412 - whatever that is. It could be the Hue Lights plugin (1.7.55) since this was in use at the time, but it is just a guess.

Can I find out which plugin process 412 is/was?

Posted on
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:33 am
davinci offline

This is getting annoying. the restart takes max 2 seconds. If only the schedules (delayed actions) would still work.

I am pretty sure this issue is wide spread - but not known.

Look for "Starting Indigo Server" in the logs.

Posted on
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:13 am
Korey offline

davinci wrote:
I am pretty sure this issue is wide spread - but not known.

Look for "Starting Indigo Server" in the logs.

Sorry for your problems.

No issues on my install, never seen a server crash in over 12 years. I did have kernel crashes / system reboot but that was bad ram. since replaced all good. perhaps you have a hardware issue?

2012 Mac mini 16GB / SSD / Insteon & Zwave / OSX 10.14 indigo 2021.1

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:18 am
davinci offline

The M1 has its issues. But this seems to be limited to IndigoServer.

I am using several Homebridges and plugins. One of them might be the issue.

@matt: How can I bugfix this?

Posted on
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, this is going to be difficult to troubleshoot.

FIrst, we have no other reports of this. I believe the problem is unique to your configuration / Mac or limited to very few people. We have a reasonable number of Indigo users that heavily rely on Indigo, many of which have upgraded to M1 Macs and we haven't heard any other reports of these crashes. I know Indigo Server relaunches after crashes now, but I also know our user base if very observant to problems and if this crash was widespread we would have heard about it now from multiple users.

That is not to say this isn't an Indigo bug – it very well might be – but it does make it much more difficult to find the exact pattern that is causing the crash.

The crash report in this case isn't very useful. It just tells us Indigo is trying to do something and has a memory exception. It doesn't tell us which client/plugin/script is making the request, nor does it tell us specifically what the request is.

What we need at this point is to track down what is causing the problem. Because the crash report doesn't provide the details we need, you will have to start disabling Indigo plugins and Indigo logic (of particular interest would be Trigger or Schedules that execute scripts) to see if we can narrow down the client/plugin/script that causes the problem. Once we have that we can work to force that plugin/script to execute more frequently to try to get the crashes to happen faster, so we can further trace where the problem is coming from.

Lastly, Korey has a good point. There could be a memory or CPU/hardware problem with your new Mac. Read over this article to learn more about how to test your Mac's memory. It is very possible it is a hardware problem, or a macOS corruption issue although if you did a complete clean reinstall of macOS that would rule that out (although if you then used migration assistant that might import the problem back in).

I know this is all a pain, but given the nature of the crash (infrequent and no reproducible steps) there isn't much we can do until we can consistently reproduce the crash.

Posted on
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 pm
davinci offline

I will try.

Btw. I did not use migration assistant. I only restored Indigo.

The crash would be less of a problem if the delayed actions would still execute.

Posted on
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:07 am
davinci offline

I am now testing with disabled plugins.

Two things I want to mention:

If I disable Email+ it reenables after every restart. I think this is a bug of Indigo, right?

The crash could be caused by GhostXML ( I didn't realize that I just installed this around the same time the crashed happened the first time).
It is disabled for now - all other plugins remain active. I hope this is it - even though that means I can't use the plugin and there is an issue in Indigo that needs to be resolved.

But for now this is only speculation.

Thanks @DaveL17 and @matt for keeping an eye on this thread.

Posted on
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:41 am
FlyingDiver offline

davinci wrote:
If I disable Email+ it reenables after every restart. I think this is a bug of Indigo, right?

I don't think it's a bug. I think it's intentional. Because that plugin performs what used to be a built-in function.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:44 am
DaveL17 offline

davinci wrote:
The crash could be caused by GhostXML ( I didn't realize that I just installed this around the same time the crashed happened the first time).
It is disabled for now - all other plugins remain active. I hope this is it - even though that means I can't use the plugin and there is an issue in Indigo that needs to be resolved.

Just wanted to report that I have seen no other instances of Indigo server restarts related to the GhostXML plugin.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 am
davinci offline

Looks good - or bad :( - GhostXML was disabled but it still crashed.

Going on with other plugins...

Posted on
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:07 am
DaveL17 offline

davinci wrote:
Looks good - or bad :( - GhostXML was disabled but it still crashed.

Going on with other plugins...

Thanks for reporting back. Good luck!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]