Indigo 2021.1 Release Update feature request

Posted on
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:27 pm
jrcitizen offline

Indigo 2021.1 Release Update feature request

Exciting update https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25186.

That said, as a parent of young children, when I saw the example of "Alexa, open garage door", the first thought that came to my mind is how can I disable certain functions. My 6 year old has already gone to others houses tryint to turn their lights on through She Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken. In the case of the door manager, I am fine with using Alexa to close/lock a door, but would want to disable the ability to open/unlock a door. Using the current Alexa Hue bridge, I can do that by simply limiting what functions I publish.

Please make this possible :D

Posted on
Sat May 01, 2021 2:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo 2021.1 Release Update feature request

So, use of a PIN to unlock a door or open the garage doesn't address your issue? Both are required by Amazon (as described in the docs).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat May 01, 2021 3:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Also, you can use the same mechanism to protect the door/lock as you do with the Alexa Hue Bridge - create a wrapper device that only does what you want.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2021 12:15 pm
MarcoGT offline

Just a quick question about the Alexa Integration; is "just" a way to publish Indigo devices to Alexa or can I buy a device which has support for Alexa and then see it in Indigo?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2021 1:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

MarcoGT wrote:
Just a quick question about the Alexa Integration; is "just" a way to publish Indigo devices to Alexa or can I buy a device which has support for Alexa and then see it in Indigo?

The former. Alexa skills can't control other Alexa devices directly - that capability doesn't exist in the Alexa Skills Kit most likely as a security measure.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun May 16, 2021 10:14 am
jrcitizen offline

So, use of a PIN to unlock a door or open the garage doesn't address your issue? Both are required by Amazon (as described in the docs).

From a security perspective, I would simply rather not have this enabled at all. Then no worries about the PIN code getting out – the feature is simply removed. That is far more secure than a PIN code.

Posted on
Sun May 16, 2021 11:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jrcitizen wrote:
From a security perspective, I would simply rather not have this enabled at all. Then no worries about the PIN code getting out – the feature is simply removed. That is far more secure than a PIN code.

Well, the most secure approach would be to not add the door to Alexa at all. But, as I said, you can use the same approach that you're using now.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu May 20, 2021 3:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Just a note because it may not be clear, but you'll be able to specify exactly which Indigo devices you are publishing to be available for Alexa control. So in this case if you don't want garage control you can simply not publish that Indigo device.

Page 1 of 1