Concept Temperature Map

Posted on
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:57 am
DaveL17 offline

Concept Temperature Map

This is something that I've wanted to play with for a while. The concept is to display a visual representation of things like temperature or humidity to understand the relationship of these values across the entire house. The color map is set to 50ºF to 80ºF for these images, so the apparently "hot" attic is actually 75ºF here. A couple of you have seen them already...

Figure_1a.png
Volumetric view
Figure_1a.png (218.68 KiB) Viewed 4479 times

I also have a "planar" view of the same data that makes it easier to see the relationship of interior rooms.

Figure_1b.png
Planar view
Figure_1b.png (145.67 KiB) Viewed 4479 times

There are some slight differences in scale between the two images beyond the obvious--that have more to do with ensuring that each plot is displayed proportionately. For giggles, I've also thrown up an animated version of the first one.

While we would probably never use it this way, the plot could also be used to show occupancy (I've included a point in the basement to demonstrate one way to do that, and the script could be easily adapted to change the color of an entire room to display occupancy). The first plot shows one way to do that. This isn't something that could be easily adapted to a plugin because the representation of our home is hard coded into the script. In other words, the script would need to be individually adapted to another house by hand.

I do plan to share the scripts on GitHub once they're in better shape if folks want to fork them (they're not even tied directly to Indigo yet) but wanted to throw these out there to get folks' reaction in a blatant attempt to get good ideas for nothing. :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Concept Temperature Map

While we would probably never use it this way, the plot could also be used to show occupancy (I've included a point in the basement to demonstrate one way to do that, and the script could be easily adapted to change the color of an entire room to display occupancy). The first plot shows one way to do that. This isn't something that could be easily adapted to a plugin because the representation of our home is hard coded into the script. In other words, the script would need to be individually adapted to another house by hand.

Everyone Else: "Hey, maybe we could get a variable to update with room occupancy"
Dave: "I've seen Star Trek, hold my beer..."

Posted on
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:37 am
DaveL17 offline

My wife might want to ask the computer where I am so that she can avoid me. Wouldn't want that!

Posted on
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:01 am
Dual offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Everyone Else: "Hey, maybe we could get a variable to update with room occupancy"
Dave: "I've seen Star Trek, hold my beer..."

Hahahahahahahaha.

Very cool Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:02 am
Dual offline

DaveL17 wrote:
My wife might want to ask the computer where I am so that she can avoid me. Wouldn't want that!
If you build your house out of transparent aluminum she could always see you.

Posted on
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am
DaveL17 offline

Dual wrote:

It'd take years just to figure out the dynamics of that matrix. :D

Posted on
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:48 pm
Dual offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Dual wrote:

It'd take years just to figure out the dynamics of that matrix. :D
Scotty can help.

Posted on
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:58 pm
DaveL17 offline

I've uploaded sample scripts to GitHub. They use Python 3 so they aren't suited to run directly in Indigo. In other words, they need to be called some other means with the data passed as a parameter to the script. Given the relative complexity of the scripts, they require at least a moderate knowledge of Python to implement. You'll need to install Python 3, ffmpeg (or another compatible video encoder), add a vehicle to transport the data, and modify the map (unless you want a map of my house). I'm happy to answer any questions about the scripts themselves, but I can't commit to helping with the intricacies of all the mods that are needed to use them.

3D Temperature Map
3D Temperature Map Planar
3D Temperature Map Wiki

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2021 10:27 am
mundmc offline

Amazing and thank you for sharing! I finally have a fleet of esp32 motion/temp sensors ready to deploy (after my gutted house is rebuilt) and this looks great for it.

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2021 1:16 pm
DaveL17 offline

mundmc wrote:
Amazing and thank you for sharing! I finally have a fleet of esp32 motion/temp sensors ready to deploy (after my gutted house is rebuilt) and this looks great for it.

My pleasure. Please share when the time comes if you are comfortable doing that. I would love to see what you do with it.

Posted on
Sun May 02, 2021 10:37 pm
mundmc offline

DaveL17 wrote:
mundmc wrote:

My pleasure. Please share when the time comes if you are comfortable doing that. I would love to see what you do with it.
Of COURSE I will.

To me, this is one of the most critical parts of home automation and energy savings. I love the idea of visualizing the temperatures in different rooms and how they relate with each other and the main HVAC system. The fact that I love that probably makes me a gigantic nerd who should have been an engineer in a different life.

I am also honored to be your first Youtube subscriber.

Posted on
Mon May 03, 2021 5:37 am
DaveL17 offline

Sweet. I know you share a lot, but I didn't want to presume. :)

Page 1 of 1