Deleting credit card information in Indigo Domotics ...

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:15 pm
rlesperance offline

Deleting credit card information in Indigo Domotics ...

Hello,

I want to delete the credit card information in my Indigo Domotics account. I see that I can do that only if I put another one. I don't want to leave any of this information.

I have had problems leaving this info at many places. For one annual transaction and for security reason, I don't want to leave any financial info .

Please delete the information and next year I will proceed with my payment manually.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rlesperance on Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Deleting credit card information in Indigo Domotics ...

Hi Robert, unfortunately our subscription service requires stored payment information - we don't have any mechanism to do on-demand payments. Note that we don't store anything in our systems, it's stored on our payment processor's systems. FastSpring has been in business for many many years and is a trusted partner - we wouldn't use them otherwise.

So the only way to do this is to cancel your subscription (it will continue to be active until the end of the subscription period). I believe at that point you'd need to contact FastSpring directly to remove your payment method (though it might allow you to delete it after that on their website). Then when your subscription expires, you have to catch it up, which would create a new subscription and you'd have to do that again. Repeat every year.

Note that we didn't explicitly design our systems to do this, so this may very well result in service interruption that will require manual intervention by us. Depending on when the issue occurs, we may not be able to perform the manual intervention for hours or longer.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:23 pm
rlesperance offline

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by rlesperance on Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:23 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I would appreciate that you do what is required to have my credit card information deleted from my account ... without having any future problems with a membership that is fully paid. At renewal, if I don't pay, I understand that I risk a service interruption.

I'm not sure if you caught this from his post, but he provided the means for you to contact the payment provider to see what they can do in terms of removal, as well as stating that they would work with you if it caused interruption.

I would like to see what others thinks about that ?

I would suggest you look into alternatives to using a normal credit card. One example - and I realize this is one specific brand but it can work with others -- Samsung Pay supports a "Samsung Pay Cash" which has a virtual credit card number but that is standalone - not credit nor tied to anything backing it (that is, not like PayPal where it could withdraw from your account). You must explicitly put funds in there; thus, in the event of a CC theft from a site, they can do basically no damage to you.

I have had my CC stolen multiple times, always from sites which were hacked, so I know the pain and annoyance. Thus, for many online transactions, I use that "card" -- simply fund it for the required amount, use it for the transaction, and be safe. If you do a recurring subscription such as Indigo you would need only set a reminder to fund it enough to cover a day or two in advance. I don't do subscriptions on it, but it is certainly an option.

You can also use the prepaid cards, though sometimes the payment processors won't accept those for subscription/recurring payments.

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 am
rlesperance offline

Hello Jay,

In my last post, I was rude and I apologized for that. I deleted it and am presenting a v2 of my comment :D !

I understand that you prefer having my credit card information on file. In a customer's perspective, the payment system should offer a simple and flexible opting out alternative.

Why should my credit card information be tied in for only one annual payment ? I have had my load of credit card and personal information leak problems. For one time or annual transactions, I pay on demand .

Because transactions are mostly done on the web, as a customer, I have to find a way to protect my personal info. I have to be serious about that. I also have to manage my payment options because international transactions adds astonishing conversion fees. PayPal forces a 4% transaction fee, bypassing any advantage I have with my credit cards.

I would appreciate finding a way not leaving my credit card information on file ... and not having to deal with a third party to do that. If you offered me the option, for you, on a simple electronic reminder, I would have to pay or be exposed to have my service interrupted.

I am only saying that I should have the choice. As a matter of fact, even Amazon does not require to have a credit card on file.

Regards.

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:33 am
eme jota ce offline

rlesperance wrote:
Hello,

I want to delete the credit card information in my Indigo Domotics account. I see that I can do that only if I put another one. I don't want to leave any of this information.

I have had problems leaving this info at many places. For one annual transaction and for security reason, I don't want to leave any financial info .

Thanks in advance.

Are you comfortable using a Privacy.com account? These can be linked to a (secondary) checking account, then generate single or multiple use "cards."

Probably other options out there, too.

I see PayPal and other options to pay for the Indigo subscription, too. Presumably you were aware of those alternatives, though.

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:16 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

rlesperance wrote:
I understand that you prefer having my credit card information on file. In a customer's perspective, the payment system should offer a simple and flexible opting out alternative.

It has less to do with preference, and more to do with the amount of our direct involvement in the payment process. We are 2 people in the entire business. Implementing on-demand subscriptions would require a non-trivial amount of additional time that we would need to spend every month on payments. Automatic subscriptions as we have them implemented via our payment processor doesn't require a lot of that.

Also, we've had less than 5complaints about this so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the vast majority of our users. Spending the amount of time to implement and manage it just doesn't make financial sense for us.

rlesperance wrote:
As a matter of fact, even Amazon does not require to have a credit card on file.

Then you can use Amazon to pay for the subscription - that's an option. ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:36 am
rlesperance offline

eme jota ce ... Thanks for the suggestion, but that service is only available in USA.

RogueProeliator ... Thanks also for your suggestion. I will se how it can help.

Page 1 of 1