Can't rename or update variables list (OS 11.0.1 Big Sur)

Posted on
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can't rename or update variables list (OS 11.0.1 Big Sur

In a last ditch effort to reproduce, I just tried 7.4.1 on Bug Sure 11.2.1. Worked fine. I thought maybe there was some odd build issue between 7.4 and 7.5 that might be causing the issue, but that doesn't appear to be the case either. The Mac client has been 64-bit for years now, so I wouldn't have expected that to have changed but it was worth a shot.

What is the specific Mac model you're using? I'm using a 2018 Mac mini.

[EDIT] - sorry, just reread the first post and it looks like you have the same Mac I do. It's got to be something environmental on your Mac. But I can't think of anything else short of starting over which, given your internet, is likely not really an option for you. Do you have any other apps that have tables like this where you can do in-line table cell editing? The variable window is the only place in our UI where you can directly edit values in-line in a table. I'm wondering if any other apps are having the same issue and you just haven't noticed.

BTW, this is very reminiscent of issues we've seen in the past with VNC/Screen Sharing. Obviously this isn't the issue, I just find it interesting that it's similar.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm curious what happens if you enter into the search field the current variable name, then try to edit the variable name. The search results UI is a bit different than the normal table UI, so it is possible it will work when it is in that mode.

Posted on
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:14 am
Butch2427 offline

matt (support) wrote:
I'm curious what happens if you enter into the search field the current variable name, then try to edit the variable name. The search results UI is a bit different than the normal table UI, so it is possible it will work when it is in that mode.

Nothing is found when searching (in finder) for the name of the variable (variable_1).

jay (support) wrote:
In a last ditch effort to reproduce, I just tried 7.4.1 on Bug Sure 11.2.1. Worked fine. I thought maybe there was some odd build issue between 7.4 and 7.5 that might be causing the issue, but that doesn't appear to be the case either. The Mac client has been 64-bit for years now, so I wouldn't have expected that to have changed but it was worth a shot.

What is the specific Mac model you're using? I'm using a 2018 Mac mini.

[EDIT] - sorry, just reread the first post and it looks like you have the same Mac I do. It's got to be something environmental on your Mac. But I can't think of anything else short of starting over which, given your internet, is likely not really an option for you. Do you have any other apps that have tables like this where you can do in-line table cell editing? The variable window is the only place in our UI where you can directly edit values in-line in a table. I'm wondering if any other apps are having the same issue and you just haven't noticed.

BTW, this is very reminiscent of issues we've seen in the past with VNC/Screen Sharing. Obviously this isn't the issue, I just find it interesting that it's similar.

I do appreciate all the thought trying to solve this. The only programs running on this machine besides Indigo 7.5 are airfoil and amphetamine. BTW, stopping those also had no effect.

Posted on
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Butch2427 wrote:
matt (support) wrote:

Nothing is found when searching (in finder) for the name of the variable (variable_1).

No, using the search bar at the top of the Variables window...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Butch2427 wrote:
I do appreciate all the thought trying to solve this. The only programs running on this machine besides Indigo 7.5 are airfoil and amphetamine. BTW, stopping those also had no effect.

When you got this Mac, did you use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to move stuff from another Mac or recover from a backup?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:50 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Butch2427 wrote:
matt (support) wrote:

No, using the search bar at the top of the Variables window...

IT WORKS! So, by using the search box on the variable list to find a variable name, then double clicking on the variable it allows me to edit the name. The name change seems to stick after a re-boot (just for fun). Also, newly created variables can also have the name edited, like magic. Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So it's now working correctly? Or do you still have to search for it to change it?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:36 pm
Butch2427 offline

jay (support) wrote:
So it's now working correctly? Or do you still have to search for it to change it?
So far, I think it’s working the way it was intended to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Odd that successfully renaming the one variable from the search results seems to have reset the issue. Anyway, glad it's working for you again.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:37 am
dstrickler offline

This fixed itself for me when I upgraded (just now) to v7.5 of Indigo. I'm running MacOS 11.2.3 (Big Sur) for a few weeks at least and it wasn't working under Indigo 7.4.

Dave

Posted on
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay actually ran into this problem yesterday and narrowed down the scope of the issue. It appears it is related to how the isDaylight variable is bound in the UI to be read-only (not editable). The apparent macOS bug is that the variables both before and after isDaylight in the list are no longer editable. One hack workaround, presuming you are sorting the table by name, is to add two dummy variables, isC and isE, to buffer around the isDaylight row. :twisted:

Posted on
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:57 pm
dstrickler offline

Wow - good detective work! I thought the upgrade fixed it, but I didn't try enough variables. I assumed (!) once one was read-write they all would be.

Your work-around for the dummy variables did the trick!

Dave

Posted on
Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It took us a while to figure it out. This is definitely one of the strangest macOS bugs I've ever seen. And, of course, once I found it, every darn variable I created for testing purposes ended up right below or above it, so it occurred to me to make the dummy variables to at least mitigate the problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 25, 2021 2:51 pm
brettlid offline

Same issue 3 different machines

Posted on
Wed May 26, 2021 7:41 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We'll have this fixed in the next release of Indigo.