Indigo and Zigbee

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:23 am
CliveS offline

Re: Indigo and Zigbee

autolog wrote:
CliveS wrote:
... Now considering the Hubitat C7 if Jon is going to make his plugin available, so many question to ask about that if he does.

I am more than happy to share it with you on the basis that it is in an alpha state and subject to ongoing development. :D

Sounds like my life upto now (alpha state and subject to ongoing development) .

Yes I would be happy to try it, after all I "test" all my bad code on my live machine but having a carbon copy cloner daily backup I can revert in 10 minutes :)

Question, where did you get yours from, the ebay seller I looked at is no longer selling to the UK, infact most of the EU is no longer selling to the UK, and one seller of the equivalent of the zigazagah is charging 50 EU shipping to UK and 5 EU to Ireland!

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:29 am
siclark offline

Vesternet has it at £135 in stock.

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:56 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:

I got both of mine from Vesternet :)

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:58 am
Colly offline

CliveS wrote:
Question, where did you get yours from, the ebay seller I looked at is no longer selling to the UK, infact most of the EU is no longer selling to the UK, and one seller of the equivalent of the zigazagah is charging 50 EU shipping to UK and 5 EU to Ireland!

Used to be the other way around re postage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:12 am
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
siclark wrote:

I got both of mine from Vesternet :)

Just ordered mine from them as well, delivery tomorrow, seems I got some 'smarties' as well but I don't think they are the edible ones :(
It will be interesting to see if I reprogram the zigazigah as a router if that will work with the C7.
Jon, will the C7 zwave be integrated with Indigo or just zigbee?

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:02 am
autolog offline

CliveS wrote:
... Jon, will the C7 zwave be integrated with Indigo or just zigbee?

Both Zigbee and Z-Wave. :)

Posted on
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:11 am
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
CliveS wrote:

So just to get this straight in my mind, if I plug the C7 into a Unifi switch in the garage attached by 2 x unifi nanostations to the Indigo server in the house then Indigo will control a z-wave socket bonded to the C7

CliveS

Posted on
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:51 am
autolog offline

CliveS wrote:
autolog wrote:
CliveS wrote:

So just to get this straight in my mind, if I plug the C7 into a Unifi switch in the garage attached by 2 x unifi nanostations to the Indigo server in the house then Indigo will control a z-wave socket bonded to the C7

Absolutely correct :)

PS. I have PM'd you with details of how to access the plugin once I have uploaded it to my pCloud account.

Posted on
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:26 am
autolog offline

A quick update on progress: I have now transitioned all my Zigbee devices to my Hubitat Elevation C7s. They are all fully accessible in Indigo and can be controlled via Indigo if they are allow that (e.g. an outlet / socket). This has replaced the need for Zigbee2MQTT which I have now closed down. :)

Setting up Zigbee devices using my plugin is now comparatively easier and quicker than the previous method of using Zigbee2MQTT > MQTT Shims. I think this is always going to be the case if a plugin is purpose designed for one task, as opposed to MQTT Shims being generic and having a wider scope.

Getting Hubitat setup can be a bit of a "black art" at times, favours the tinkerer and definitely isn't as simple as Indigo IMHO.

The plugin is still in an Alpha state and undergoing continuous development as I work on improving it so it is fit for prime time. :)

Posted on
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:34 am
siclark offline

Are you really going to make me spend money on a new hub?
I don’t think it should be necessary but I will pay money for simplicity.

Posted on
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:05 pm
autolog offline

siclark wrote:

I suggest you get a second opinion from Clive before you spend any money - Just in case I am viewing it through rose-tinted spectacles! :D

Posted on
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:29 pm
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
siclark wrote:

I suggest you get a second opinion from Clive before you spend any money - Just in case I am viewing it through rose-tinted spectacles! :D

The jury is out on that, it must be me but I am having problems with MQTT.

I Installed an Aqara contact sensor, worked fine and then 10-15 minutes later it just stops updating, installed a second and same and now a 3rd and that also stops within 20 minutes.

Now I have a Salus SP600 mains socket 3 feet from these 3 contact sensors which should help, that works fine so am just about to delete everything and start again now that I know more about how it all works (thanks to Jon).

With the Salus and using Jon's plugin it is 100% both ways, turn on from Indigo, turn off from Hubitat and vice versa, perfect.

Is the Hubitat better than Indigo, no it is not, it never will be, and when you consider a lot of Hubitat users moved to it from Vera, Smarthings, HA, Homie ect then they really should try Indigo.

I will not be moving over to Hubitat but it is great to extend the Zigbee devices (and Z-wave using the new 700 series chip) into Indigo, I just need to sort mine out, I know it works, Jon has proved that.

CliveS

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:53 pm
CliveS offline

CliveS wrote:
The jury is out on that, it must be me but I am having problems with MQTT.

I Installed an Aqara contact sensor, worked fine and then 10-15 minutes later it just stops updating, installed a second and same and now a 3rd and that also stops within 20 minutes.

OK, an update, a day later and a lot more help from Jon getting my Hubitat MQTT working, (he has the patience of a saint!) and I have an Aqara contact sensor working and it is triggering in Indigo instantly so amazing for an 'Alpha build' plugin.

The 'problem' seems to be the Salus mains plug not able to pass the modified Zigbee that Aqara's send, quite a few mains powered devices (which are all Zigbee compliant) also have the issue so the answer is, don't use the Aqara devices, they may be ideal for the job and cheap but they are not fully compatible.

Now to get some Z-Wave units installed, this will make a great setup for the garage where I get patchy Z-Wave due to the distance from the house so ideal for a remote site that has network connectivity.

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:11 pm
aldera offline

autolog wrote:
A quick update on progress: I have now transitioned all my Zigbee devices to my Hubitat Elevation C7s. They are all fully accessible in Indigo and can be controlled via Indigo if they are allow that (e.g. an outlet / socket). This has replaced the need for Zigbee2MQTT which I have now closed down. :)

Setting up Zigbee devices using my plugin is now comparatively easier and quicker than the previous method of using Zigbee2MQTT > MQTT Shims. I think this is always going to be the case if a plugin is purpose designed for one task, as opposed to MQTT Shims being generic and having a wider scope.

Getting Hubitat setup can be a bit of a "black art" at times, favours the tinkerer and definitely isn't as simple as Indigo IMHO.

The plugin is still in an Alpha state and undergoing continuous development as I work on improving it so it is fit for prime time. :)

Hello,

I've been following this thread and I have a question, if you don't mind. If I purchase a Hubitat C7 and used your plugin, is that all I would need to be able to control Zigbee devices from Indigo? I'm not familiar with MQTT so I'm not sure where it fits in here. I'm not a young tech person with lots of Python or Unix experience but good enough to figure things out, eventually. (Sliderules and IBM punch cards were my tools of the day when I went to college in the 60s!)

Thanks.

Ralph

Posted on
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm
DaveL17 offline

aldera wrote:
(Sliderules and IBM punch cards were my tools of the day when I went to college in the 60s!)

You and Jon will get along famously, then.

:)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 6 of 8 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8