HomeKit Bridge with a non-embedded Homebridge server

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:02 pm
lukebrannon offline

HomeKit Bridge with a non-embedded Homebridge server

Colorado4Wheeler, I don't post in the forums often, but I use several of your plugins and want to give a big thank you for all the great work you put into each of them!

As a longtime user of homebridge-indigo, I've been playing around with the new HomeKit Bridge plugin and I'm really excited about potentially integrating it into my setup.

I know HomeKit Bridge is designed to be a self contained Homebridge server with the newer homebridge-indigo2 plugin, but I'm wondering if there is any way to still allow for an external Homebridge server. Here's why: I run Homebridge on a Raspberry Pi with homebridge-indigo and a couple more Homebridge plugins (most notably homebridge-alexa). What I'd love to do is keep that setup w/ the flexibility of using various Homebridge plugins (and the devices shared between them), but also be able to take advantage of homebridge-indigo2 and the really nice frontend that comes with HomeKit Bridge.

Is there a way to do this currently or maybe a path to this use case with upcoming development? I tried installing homebridge-indigo2 on my Pi, but I ran into errors (after all, it was designed to run on a Mac w/ an embedded Homebridge instance).

In an ideal world, I'd be able to install homebridge-indigo2 on my Homebridge RPi and use HomeKit Bridge with my HA/Indigo Mac to "remotely" configure homebridge-indigo2 on the Pi. Since the original homebridge-indigo doesn't appear to be receiving regular updates since v2 is out, I'm trying to find the best way to move forward with a more future-proof solution.

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:29 pm
lazlohollyfeld offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge with a non-embedded Homebridge server

did you ever figure this out?

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 pm
webdeck offline

Why not run both? That's what I do. I have a Pi running a homebridge instance with some plugins, and then my Mac Indigo server uses Homekit Bridge and its embedded homebridge-indigo2 server.

Given the ability for a poorly behaved plugin to take down the entire homebridge instance, it is safer to keep things isolated in separate servers.

Posted on
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:31 am
lazlohollyfeld offline

I'll do that - thanks!

Page 1 of 1