Under counter led lights

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:23 pm
siclark offline

Under counter led lights

I’ve been quiet on here the last month as I’ve been busy building an outdoor kitchen, concrete blocks and render (stucco).
I’m about to pour concrete worktops (Ive found Buddy Rhodes in the UK) and I’m keen to put led strips on the front overhang.

My question is how big do I need the overhang to be, or how far away from the don’t wall should the led strip be?

Also I’m considering recessing the led strip to make it hidden. Has anyone done this and is it worth it to make the strip hidden when it’s not on.

Then I need to actually decide on a strip and whether it’s RGB or not.
*of course it has to be.

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:43 pm
rehafer offline

Re: Under counter led lights

Could you some of those aluminum channels in the wet concrete? Gives you a recess and the options to add a diffuser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:27 pm
siclark offline

rehafer wrote:
Could you some of those aluminum channels in the wet concrete? Gives you a recess and the options to add a diffuser

That’s a good idea. I was wondering what to use to make the recess with and thinking scrap wood or foam. I could just stick the channel in at the start.
Just need to check dimension and how much space I need as don’t want a small thin lip of concrete that will break off.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 am
siclark offline

Although also possible a bit beyond my concrete pouring skills... wondering if I just stick an IP65 one underneath?

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:22 am
Colly offline

I have granite cappings which I got my builder to cut out a recess on before fitting. It’s about 15x15mm. I then went with the IP65 RGB’s.Image

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 am
DaveL17 offline

I think adding the channel before the pour is a great idea. I'd attach a small tab every so often as an anchor to be safe. Our preference would be to use RGBW (2700K) over RGB.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:13 am
siclark offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I think adding the channel before the pour is a great idea. I'd attach a small tab every so often as an anchor to be safe. Our preference would be to use RGBW (2700K) over RGB.

What do mean by tab? I also need to make sure I dont end up getting concrete into the channel!

I like the RGBW strips too, although also looking at the individually addressable ones to get some fun sliding effects as I have the same in the pleached trees that line the patio its on.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:09 am
neilk offline

I was going to say the outdoor strips controlled by WLED would work a treat. My builders used gaffer tape to cover the slot drain (similar size) when they screeded and tiled my patio and I think you could do the same to keep the concrete out. I think with tabs Dave means attaching clips to the channel so that it holds in the concrete as otherwise it could drop out. I am sure you have thought of the cable routing as well.

It is on my winter list to get a steel frame fabricated for my version of this for next year.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 am
Colly offline

I should’ve added earlier that those RGB’s are individually addressable and integrated into Indigo with the WLED plugin.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:14 am
rehafer offline

Colly wrote:
I should’ve added earlier that those RGB’s are individually addressable and integrated into Indigo with the WLED plugin.

What controllers do you use? I might do some of those myself.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 am
Colly offline

Bought some ESP 8266’s off Amazon.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:19 am
DaveL17 offline

neilk wrote:
I think with tabs Dave means attaching clips to the channel so that it holds in the concrete as otherwise it could drop out.

Indeed. Thinking that the counter will expand and contract with the seasons, something to ensure that the channel will stay firmly embedded seems like good insurance.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 am
siclark offline

DaveL17 wrote:
neilk wrote:
I think with tabs Dave means attaching clips to the channel so that it holds in the concrete as otherwise it could drop out.

Indeed. Thinking that the counter will expand and contract with the seasons, something to ensure that the channel will stay firmly embedded seems like good insurance.

Ah.. I was thinking of using mold release on it when in the mould, taking it out when demoulding, then using some sticks like sh!t to hold it in place (those in the UK will know this stuff)

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 am
siclark offline

neilk wrote:

It is on my winter list to get a steel frame fabricated for my version of this for next year.

If I were to start again on bare ground I would use metal frame and put concrete board on it, then use a thin coat render over it. As it was my contractor had already built the rear wall in blocks so I continued the side and front.

I did use some concrete board to build a shelf under the bbq and that stuff is fantastic. https://www.wickes.co.uk/STS-Construction-Board-1200-x-800-x-12mm/p/225437#
Similar to Hardey backer board in the US I think.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 am
siclark offline

neilk wrote:
I am sure you have thought of the cable routing as well..
. I have, and it involves my angle grinder :D Seriously, thinking I would use the grinder to create a little channel in the top of the wall where the cable can run, and maybe a similar thing into the bottom of the worktop to get the cable neatly tucked into the worktop until it enters the channel. Should only be a couple of cm.