Indigo and Zigbee

Posted on
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:03 am
siclark offline

Indigo and Zigbee

Indigo can now control zigbee bulbs!!

Wait, I thought it could already? Yes, but only with an expensive Hue hub, that was not compatible with the cheap zigbee sensors and switches.
This way you can use Hue bulbs as the extenders for zigbee network to reach the battery sensors, or save the money on the Hue hub and spend it on devices, which if you use Ikea bulbs or sockets or Aqara sensors, could go a long way..

If you already have a working Hue setup then the Hue plugin is great for that, but it does need a £50 hub and the hub doesnt support many of the various zigbee sensors that are available for a lot less money than the zwave equivalent.

If you dont have the hub and want to try zigbee bulbs or sockets, or the new sensors you can do for the cost of a <$10 USB stick. (the range on the cheap USB stick is pretty poor, you will need some bulbs or sockets to use as routers/extenders but these can be had for <£10 at Ikea .

I am happy with how these are working now so have unplugged my Hue hub and am calling these in production. I have also added the Indigo devices for my zigbee bulbs to Homekit and it actually sets the right colour, which I didnt get via the Hue plugin, so thank to Joe for spending the time ensuring the colour works correctly.

Its not quite plug and play, but nothing particularly complicated once you understand the concept of the MQTT Shims plugin.

Thanks again Joe.

Posted on
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:00 am
FlyingDiver online

Re: Indigo and Zigbee

Please generate templates for the various devices you have working so I can include them in them in the Shims plugin.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:11 am
siclark offline

Thanks Joe, have done.. and I had forgotten about templates. So yes, it is fairly plug and play by using the device templates in the Shims plugin.

Posted on
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:59 am
ppespepe offline

I use something entirely different... it is not plug and play but not hard either.

I love Hue and I think as a system it is the most reliable, I have ConbeeII with the Deconz software which I don't like, the support for non very European devices is extremely poor and when you sum the cost of the RPI plus the dongle, Hue starts to look cheap and In my particular case, Zigbee to MQTT because of the hardware involved, the experience has not been very reliable... anyways, it is not my intention to get into a Ford vs Chevy discussion...

In case somebody Is looking for another alternative and while it is not expensive, it is not the cheapest either, I suggest using Habitat Elevation Hub...It is going to be very reliable, it supports an insane amount of Zigbees out of the box and it keeps updating adding more and better device support. I'm not an expert in Python or Json by any means or stretch of imagination which makes me believe the procedure is going to be suitable for all kind of users in case somebody likes the idea.

First install a no cost app called MakerAPI inside the Hubitat hub, then:

Step1.jpg
Step1.jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step2.jpg
Step2.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step3.jpg
Step3.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step4.jpg
Step4.jpg (72.75 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step5.jpg
Step5.jpg (78.5 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step6.jpg
Step6.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step7.jpg
Step7.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step8.jpg
Step8.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Step9.jpg
Step9.jpg (94.7 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

And as a plus, you will have an alternative touch interface to control your zigbees in case your Indigo Macs gets unavailable for whatever reason.

Dashboard.jpg
Dashboard.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

Hope this helps... It is just and idea that might work for some. :)
Last edited by ppespepe on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 am
ppespepe offline

Sorry I forgot....

You use the variables ID on the JSON like this:

Forgot.jpg
Forgot.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 5181 times

Posted on
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:09 am
DaveL17 offline

Super nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:11 pm
rehafer offline

Any recommendations on Zigbee sticks if I wanted to experiment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:24 pm
siclark offline

CC2351 is cheapest for experimenting. With antenna probably better. It’s got poor range but cheaper to put an cheap Ikea zigbee plug socket nearby as booster than use a more powerful one.
It has some limitations if you are planning on building a 50+ zigbee device network but given most of us have zwave , Insteon etc that’s prob not a big concern here.

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:01 pm
mundmc offline

This seems line lower hanging fruit than the raspi-nodered-mqtt route.

How is it stability-wise? I use zwave sensors extensively but i feel like i’m always running into problems.

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:50 am
siclark offline

mundmc wrote:

Not sure I follow?

mundmc wrote:
How is it stability-wise? I use zwave sensors extensively but i feel like i’m always running into problems.

This solution still uses mqtt to communicate to the zigbee stick, but takes out the nodered element and essentially makes it part of a plugin so one less external dependency. I would say its as reliable as zwave once you have a decent network.

The zigbee devices do respond back on their status so the setting only updates in indigo if the device has changed as per request. I am still playing iwth QOS settings though as I do find sometimes the device doesnt respond, and not sure if changing QOS would help there, or maybe getting the action to send the command twice.

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:14 pm
mundmc offline

siclark wrote:
mundmc wrote:

Not sure I follow?

mundmc wrote:

This solution still uses mqtt to communicate to the zigbee stick, but takes out the nodered element and essentially makes it part of a plugin so one less external dependency. I would say its as reliable as zwave once you have a decent network.

The zigbee devices do respond back on their status so the setting only updates in indigo if the device has changed as per request. I am still playing iwth QOS settings though as I do find sometimes the device doesnt respond, and not sure if changing QOS would help there, or maybe getting the action to send the command twice.
Oh, I thought it was purely a plug-in that communicated with the hub without MQTT. I have only partially experimented with MQTT, largely with homegrown solutions that I am trying to integrate, so my difficulties are largely user error.

Nonetheless, skipping nodeRed is one less new skill I would have to learn to implement this, so I should probably get back to messing around with MQTT.

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:33 pm
siclark offline

mundmc wrote:
siclark wrote:
mundmc wrote:

Not sure I follow?

mundmc wrote:

Oh, I thought it was purely a plug-in that communicated with the hub without MQTT. I have only partially experimented with MQTT, largely with homegrown solutions that I am trying to integrate, so my difficulties are largely user error.

Nonetheless, skipping nodeRed is one less new skill I would have to learn to implement this, so I should probably get back to messing around with MQTT.

The plugin communicates using MQTT but you dont need to understand it to use the zigbee devices. The beauty of this setup is that the devices just operate as normal indigo light bulbs / switches etc.

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:43 am
Different Computers offline

Do I understand correctly from the post above that I don't have to set up an MQTT server in order to use it?

MQTT makes my brain hurt.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 am
siclark offline

You do need an MQTT server / broker for this to work but not node-red (but that helps). Its somewhat easy to do on a NAS say... I mean I did it without too much trouble so I am more than confident you can!

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:49 am
Different Computers offline

I mean to say I've gotten an MQTT server running and responding to test commands already, but there seems to be this gigantic hole in online documentation between "Get the server running" and "you now have all your stuff configured and talking and listening to the server."

Once I got it set up, I was like "what now?" and could not find the answer.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.