IR to Indigo control?

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 am
mundmc offline

IR to Indigo control?

Does this exist?
For my home theater i want a minimalist remote that, ideally, can send IR commands to a receiver that interfaces with Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:23 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: IR to Indigo control?

I don't use them, but I've seen a lot of discussion about the Global Cache line of products.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm
durosity offline

I’ve used the GC products before, and they’re good.. but I switched them out for Logitech Harmony remotes, although I’m not sure if it’d be suitable for what you want or not.. why do you specifically want IR command of Indigo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:23 pm
mundmc offline

Purely for tactile button control in my theater room. I figure I can use any old cheap remote i like, then intercept th IR and handle the functionality through Indigo and IP controll or a Broadlink.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:28 pm
mundmc offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I don't use them, but I've seen a lot of discussion about the Global Cache line of products.

I used to use an iTach and it was powerful, but it appears ot only work via learrning IR codes, not monitoring for received codes and triggering Indigo automoatically.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:56 pm
DaveL17 offline

Ahhh. Well then, I think I'm out. :D

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:53 pm
durosity offline

Ah, so yeah there was a module for receiving commands and being able to use them for what you want, but after researching it I found most people found it unreliable (not indigo just in general) so I abandoned it. For a while I just used an old X10 IR reader and had indigo setup to read that, but now I’ve moved to using the harmony elite remotes and the Lifx emulator plugin that allows you to add switches and dimmers to the remote acting as if they were lifx bulbs. Perhaps that’d work for you?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:54 pm
durosity offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Ahhh. Well then, I think I'm out. :D

But not down!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 pm
DaveL17 offline

Run down, perhaps. Worn down, certainly. Still happy!

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:13 pm
ckeyes888 offline

The simplest, and most reliable, hard button remote I have to interface with Indigo is the X10 PalmPad remote.
I use an W800RF32 to receive the commands.

Carl

Posted on
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:02 am
agame offline

I agree iTach isn't what you need but there are other Global Cache devices. What about this?

GC-IRE IR Extender
The Global Caché GC-IRE IR Extender extends infrared capability by converting IR signals to digital data, which can then be read from any PC or RS232 serial port. The GC-IRE is designed for use with various IR input devices to capture IR commands that can be recorded, played back, and used to initiate actions across a network. For the first time, an IR device, such as a remote control, can be used as an input device for equipment control throughout the home. For instance, by pressing a button on your bedroom remote you can adjust lighting, set your home’s temperature, and lower shades. The GC-IRE is the first IR extender able to support the full IR frequency spectrum from 30KHz to 500KHz. The GC-IRE is compatible with the following IR receivers and input devices:
GC-RG1 is an IR receiver able to capture IR frequencies from 30KHz to 72KHz
GC-CXG connects a Xantech IR environment directly to the GC-IRE. An IR output from a Xantech distribution block is used as the GC-IRE input
GC-CGX connects a Global Caché IR output (GC-100 or iTach) to a Xantech distribution box IR input

https://www.globalcache.com/files/docs/QuickStart_GC-IRE_distrib.pdf

I use other Global Cache hardware but not the IR stuff, so can't comment first hand.

Posted on
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:17 am
durosity offline

agame wrote:
I agree iTach isn't what you need but there are other Global Cache devices. What about this?

GC-IRE IR Extender
The Global Caché GC-IRE IR Extender extends infrared capability by converting IR signals to digital data, which can then be read from any PC or RS232 serial port. The GC-IRE is designed for use with various IR input devices to capture IR commands that can be recorded, played back, and used to initiate actions across a network. For the first time, an IR device, such as a remote control, can be used as an input device for equipment control throughout the home. For instance, by pressing a button on your bedroom remote you can adjust lighting, set your home’s temperature, and lower shades. The GC-IRE is the first IR extender able to support the full IR frequency spectrum from 30KHz to 500KHz. The GC-IRE is compatible with the following IR receivers and input devices:
GC-RG1 is an IR receiver able to capture IR frequencies from 30KHz to 72KHz
GC-CXG connects a Xantech IR environment directly to the GC-IRE. An IR output from a Xantech distribution block is used as the GC-IRE input
GC-CGX connects a Global Caché IR output (GC-100 or iTach) to a Xantech distribution box IR input

https://www.globalcache.com/files/docs/QuickStart_GC-IRE_distrib.pdf

I use other Global Cache hardware but not the IR stuff, so can't comment first hand.

That’s the one I researched a few years ago and generally it didn’t seem to be particularly reliable, particularly with frequent commands. However it may well be things have improved a lot since then!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
agame offline

durosity wrote:

That’s the one I researched a few years ago and generally it didn’t seem to be particularly reliable, particularly with frequent commands. However it may well be things have improved a lot since then!

I think the biggest challenge would be that its just an ascii data feed being provided - there's no app to process received data. And there's a degree of fuzzy matching logic required.

There's also the RedRat, which actually looks pretty close to what you're describing...expensive though.

https://www.redrat.co.uk/products/redrat-x/

But are you fixed on IR? You could. use an home theatre style RF remote with RFXTRX .
Last edited by agame on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:37 pm
durosity offline

IR to Indigo control?

agame wrote:

I think the biggest challenge would be that its just an ascii data feed being provided - there's no app to process received data. And there's a degree of fuzzy matching logic required.

There's also the RedRat, which actually looks pretty close to what you're describing...expensive though.

https://www.redrat.co.uk/products/redrat-x/

As far as I can recall it was a matter of reliability.. simply the sensor was very selective in what it accepted as a valid signal and passed on. So whilst one single keypress pointed directly at the device at close range was largely successful, multiples in a short space of time (or indeed holding down the key for longer than optimal) or simply just a bad angle resulted in unusable data. But like I said that was a fair while ago now, about 8 years ago or so.. so it may well have got better... I doubt it though.. the hardware looks identical and it doesn’t look like there’s been any firmware changes from GC on that in a while.

The red rat looks pretty cool though! It may yield better results!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:53 pm
mundmc offline

Thanks [mention]agame [/mention] and [mention]durosity [/mention] for all of the help!

I need to check these links out. The irony of going back to x10 is amusing!