can control Somfy motor, but not rcving Somfy remote events

Posted on
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 pm
welchgregusa offline

can control Somfy motor, but not rcving Somfy remote events

macOS 10.15.6, Indigo 7.4.1, RFXCOM plugin 2.1.16.

I have an RFXCOM - RFXtrx433XL Transceiver that I'm trying to use w/ my Somfy shade motors. I believe I have it set up correctly—I created one Somfy motor device in Indigo, paired it w/ the motor, and I am able to exert some control of the motor from within Indigo by turning the Indigo device off an on.

However when I use a Somfy remote (a Telis RTS remote) to control the motor, I'm not seeing any events in the Indigo log. I had thought I would...but perhaps I misunderstood? I was hoping to "trap" motor events caused by external/independent Somfy remotes, so I could keep state in Indigo up to date.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 am
GlennNZ offline

Re: can control Somfy motor, but not rcving Somfy remote ev

Hi

Been through the same experience recently - pretty sure the RFXCOM device doesn’t ‘receive’ somfy commands only ‘transmits’ them. So no way for indigo to know.

See here:

http://www.rfxcom.com/WebRoot/StoreNL2/ ... _Guide.pdf

The Somfy summary bit page 18/70

To help overcome I have set up a virtual device with action group send open, and another send close for turn on/turn off actions. Still won’t give status though...

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 am
welchgregusa offline

Very helpful—thank you very much Glenn!

I'm a little bummed that I did not see that earlier, but more bummed that it doesn't receive Somfy RTS commands. Somfy does make at leasts one motor model that supports a Z-Wave interfaces, status messages, etc., but the rollers are larger than mine at the moment, etc. It would be a major equipment change. I was hoping to live with the RTS—I will.

FWIW, I installed Aeotec Z-Wave "Door / Window Sensor 6" sensors (https://aeotec.com/smallest-door-window-sensor/) on each shade, to detect when it is down. I attached the magnets to the back side of the trim bar at the bottom of the shade, and mounted the sensor units at the point where the bar stops, e.g., on the window sill (window shades) or on the door frame (door shades). I mounted them so that they could be slid sideways a little to remove them from the mounting plate for recharging. For my windows, the magnets that shipped w/ the sensors worked fine. For the doors, the shade would sometimes float away from the sensors and not trigger the sensors, so for those I installed some larger, very strong, Neodymium magnets (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788MFD2G/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_o2cgFbWDXXPQY). The magnets are so strong though, that they will pull the shade bar against the wall when it's raising/lowering, because there are metal "corner bead" pieces behind the drywall (standard means for protecting drywall corners from damage). So, I then purchased some clear polycarbonate tubing (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OMJ50K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_h8cgFbY627NY7), cut it into small cylindrical segments, and then cut some of those in half long-ways to make small semi-cylindrical "dome-like" covers for the magnets—a smooth curved covering to make the magnets stand off from the wall a little. It all works really well—I now at least know when shades are down, which is very useful. I have considered adding sensors for "up" but even for my crazy overkill, that would really be overkill. I just assume they are up if not sensed down.

Thank you again.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:15 pm
GlennNZ offline

No problem.

To overcome the same problem, I’m toying with removing somfy remote controls altogether and just using indigo. Hence will always know what position is in.

Using either lightwave RFXCOM switches (which have a few and work well) or a z-wave equivalent - like aeotec switches which found going cheap.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:09 am
howartp offline

Greg, there is a Somfy Zwave/RTS module which should work with your RTS motors but operated by Zwave.

I’m not sure it’s arrived here in UK yet but I’m sure it’s in US?

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:25 am
welchgregusa offline

Thank you Peter. I assume you mean the Somfy Z-Wave to Radio Technology Somfy Interface (ZRTSI), which I have and use as my main means for controlling the motors. But like the RFXCOM it only transmits RTS commands, it does not receive them. Somfy now makes a Z-Wave motor that communicates status back, etc., but swapping motors would be a very expensive and time consuming exercise in my case.

If you know of something other than the ZRTSI—something that receives RTS commands, I would be grateful to hear.

Thank you again.

Posted on
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am
howartp offline

Ah, unfortunately it was indeed that.

I’ve not followed it well enough cos it’s not here yet :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 1