INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

Posted on
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:21 am
hemmerdinger offline

Re: INSTEON PowerLinc Modem (2413U)

PETStech wrote:
About the time of the failure, had someone plugged in a power tool charger or similar power charger/adapter. I too had a similar, 'mystery' problem which I finally discovered was a Black & Decker powerpac charger which was generating noise on one leg of our house wiring. I hadn't used that' B&D drill in years and a fellow who helps me with jobs around the house must have found it unplugged and plugged it in again.

Nothing springs to mind. I'll wonder around the house and look at each socket just in case the kids have done something I'm unaware of.
I'll report back.

Posted on
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 am
hemmerdinger offline

hemmerdinger wrote:
PETStech wrote:
About the time of the failure, had someone plugged in a power tool charger or similar power charger/adapter. I too had a similar, 'mystery' problem which I finally discovered was a Black & Decker powerpac charger which was generating noise on one leg of our house wiring. I hadn't used that' B&D drill in years and a fellow who helps me with jobs around the house must have found it unplugged and plugged it in again.

Nothing springs to mind. I'll wonder around the house and look at each socket just in case the kids have done something I'm unaware of.
I'll report back.

I've looked over the entire house and can't find a thing.
I did use an outdoor socket for the first time in a while. But I plugged in an Apple MBP power adapter I use all the time.
Just to be certain, I flipped the breaker for those outdoor sockets and then tried to communicate with anything but nothing works.

I find it odd that the PowerLinc reports as online but will literally communicate with nothing.
If it was noise related, surely one or two devices would work?

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:56 am
hemmerdinger offline

I'm still having no luck with this.
Someone suggested I shut everything down for 48 hours but that didn't help.

I did notice today that I'm receiving events from hardware OK. When I manually turn a light on or off, you get the event in Indigo.
See screenshot.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Seems odd that the communication would be one way.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.40.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.40.27 AM.png (28.44 KiB) Viewed 9096 times

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, that does seem quite odd. However, we've seen some very odd behavior from failing PowerLincs. At this point I'd recommend getting a new one. If it turns out to behave identically you can always return it, but if it's ALWAYS receiving updates but devices NEVER respond, then that's really the only thing I can think of.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:00 am
hemmerdinger offline

jay (support) wrote:
Yeah, that does seem quite odd. However, we've seen some very odd behavior from failing PowerLincs. At this point I'd recommend getting a new one. If it turns out to behave identically you can always return it, but if it's ALWAYS receiving updates but devices NEVER respond, then that's really the only thing I can think of.

Fair enough Jay. I was thinking at this point, that's my only option.
I've had plenty of mileage from this unit, probably close to 10 years now.

Posted on
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:20 am
hemmerdinger offline

Good news.
A new PowerLinc module and all it back online.
Thanks for all the support.

Posted on
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:01 pm
jefftr66 offline

Have been using this my 2413U modem for some time and has worked just fine. My main computer runs 10.15.7 but is actually a Hackintosh. Haven't seemed to have any issues related to this, though.
However, last weekend I changed my "Mac" from booting w/ Clover to using OpenCore and now Indigo can't seem to connect to the PowerLinc modem. I updated to 7.4.1 but that didn't help. I can see the modem connected via USB so it is working.

Interestingly my Z-wave USB controller which hadn't worked before now works!

Any help with the modem would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:32 pm
jefftr66 offline

Seeing this in the logs:

2020-10-20 00:00:01.824 Application Created new log file (Indigo Server version 7.4.0)
2020-10-20 14:17:01.919 Application Connected to PowerLinc 2413U interface on port usbserial-A60332O3
2020-10-20 14:17:01.920 Application PowerLinc address 34.79.4B, firmware version 9.14
2020-10-20 14:17:17.580 Power Failure possible power failure
2020-10-20 14:17:21.049 Interface Failure lost connection with interface

Would this indicate modem needs replacement?

Posted on
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Possibly. It definitely is communicating with it enough to get the address and firmware version from it, so there is some level of successful USB communication occurring. Given the errors I wonder if the Hackintosh/driver configuration is causing the USB connection to drop/reset after a couple of seconds of successful communication. It definitely could just be a marginal PowerLinc though. Do you have a "real" Mac under which you can try the PowerLinc to see if it works there?

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:12 pm
dkillmer offline

Is there a way to configure redundant modems? We had one lock up this week while we were away from home and had to have someone go to the house and unplug it from the wall and unplug the usb cable to revive it.

Posted on
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:05 pm
dkillmer offline

Is it feasible to install a second modem and enable it remotely, if the primary one fails?

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure how well it would work. You'd have to either leave both PowerLinc plugged in (to both the Mac and the wall), and if you do that it seems somewhat likely that they both may fail (or freeze) if it is a power surge or brown out that is causing the problem. To avoid having them both physically connected you would need to have some type of appliance module (that isn't Insteon based; either z-wave or WiFi) to be able to physically disconnect it from the outlet, and maybe also have a USB hub plugged into that to provide the ability to connect / disconnect it from the Mac. I'm not sure the latter would be needed or not.

From an Indigo perspective you could use the remote Indigo client (or screen sharing) to select the serial port for the other PowerLinc, and then start the re-sync of all the links. Resyncing will be needed, as Indigo has to both remove the old PowerLinc's address from all the modules as well as add the new PowerLinc's address to all the modules. Doing this requires physical access to battery operated modules (to wake them), but can be done remotely for switches, lamp, appliance, etc. modules.

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:09 pm
dkillmer offline

Thank you, Matt!

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:41 pm
jlambert121 offline

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but is there a way to turn on transmit and received logging in Indigo for a 2413U? I am playing around with some things and wanted to see the commands currently being sent and what is returned.

I found this to enable LLIO logging (viewtopic.php?f=104&t=18832), but it doesn't seem to show the extended data.

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That LLIO option should show all Insteon commands, including extended. If you need help deciphering what it is showing then copy/paste the log results (and explain the expected result) and I can take a look at it.