UniFi Protect 4 Doorbell

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:37 am
RogueProeliator offline

UniFi Protect 4 Doorbell

FINALLY, maybe a doorbell that I can use without cloud access... anyone happen to get one of these yet? It is only on the Early Access program so far but I was late seeing it available and it is sold out. I am curious if it integrates with standard doorbell chimes/power supplies but they don't have a manual for it yet on the Early Access.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: UniFi Protect 4 Doorbell

That's cool. I broke down and got a Ring which I like but don't necessarily trust...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:13 am
RogueProeliator offline

That's cool. I broke down and got a Ring which I like but don't necessarily trust...

Yeah, I don't want my security cameras streaming to the cloud - I don't really trust anyone with that plus it would eat up my internet (assuming other cameras were doing the same). I currently have a dBell which is WiFi but it is sketchy at best - the continuous stream cuts out 1/2 the time, notifications hardly work, etc.

I've been waiting for a good RTSP stream and if Ubiquiti's doorbell is anything like their cameras then I'll be a happy camper.

As an update, found a few specs and it runs off standard low voltage transformers similar to other video doorbells. Not sure if it will drop the voltage properly to ring an existing chime or not, but time will tell on that if they open up for more early access orders.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 am
Turribeach offline

Interested too! Let's see when it comes out...

Posted on
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:58 pm
durosity offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
FINALLY, maybe a doorbell that I can use without cloud access... anyone happen to get one of these yet? It is only on the Early Access program so far but I was late seeing it available and it is sold out. I am curious if it integrates with standard doorbell chimes/power supplies but they don't have a manual for it yet on the Early Access.

Adam

I don’t have one but quite a few people have posted details on reddit. It gets its power from the existing doorbell in much the same way as most of these wifi doorbells do. I personally wish they’d made a PoE model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have received and installed the doorbell and thus far it has been, by far, the best video doorbell that I have tried -- it simply works and works well. Caveat, I don't use cloud cameras so cannot compare this to Nest or similar.

It has been rock solid in the stability and video feed department (it records 24/7 to a CK2 sitting in the server closet. Picture quality has been good even at night, though to be fair the porch is well lit at night time. FOV is pretty decent, but not the highest I have seen, probably in the middle of the pack out of the ones I have tried. It is decently wide, but the vertical is just short of seeing a package on the ground directly beneath it... The lens distortion correction can be turned off to see slightly lower but then you get the classic fish-eye effect. I don't like that too much.

Small complaint, due to the lens distortion correction (I assume) the RTSP resolutions don't quite match the other Unifi cameras. Minor issue.

Overall, I would say a solid product.

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:14 pm
durosity offline

I'm very excited about this doorbell.. it's pretty much the holy grail for me.. that plus the Unifi home bridge plugin (and when they fix the audio cancelation and add HKSV) and I think I'll be in heaven. I do wonder if they plan to release it in Europe though... doorbell voltages here are... lacking.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 am
RogueProeliator offline

I'm very excited about this doorbell.. it's pretty much the holy grail for me..

Based on the specs and my experience thus far, it is... the main caveat being I haven't tried setting up and customizing the more advanced doorbell features such as motion detection. Right now I only get notification of the ring. Not sure I care that much about motion detection itself (as I don't on the other cameras) but eventually I may play around with them.

Avoiding animals, leaves, rain, and the wasps who attempt to mate with the cameras (I assume, otherwise, not sure why they hang around them so much! :-)) is a challenge. Probably less so on a doorbell so might give it a shot.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 am
CliveS offline

durosity wrote:
I'm very excited about this doorbell.. it's pretty much the holy grail for me.. that plus the Unifi home bridge plugin (and when they fix the audio cancelation and add HKSV) and I think I'll be in heaven. I do wonder if they plan to release it in Europe though... doorbell voltages here are... lacking.

I installed the Amcrest SmartHome Video Doorbell Camera, got it from Amazon UK and also a new PSU set at 24v (my existing one did not have enough power).

Working fine with Blue Iris 24/7 recording, no problems over WiFi and I understand it uses a Dahua camera inside.

Camera
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0844YVN5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Supply
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I8N133S/ref=dp_prsubs_3

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 am
durosity offline

Thanks for that. Yeah I figured a 24v AC adapter would have the desired effect... it’s more a question on if Ubiquiti decides it’s worth releasing here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:04 pm
norcoscia offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I'm very excited about this doorbell.. it's pretty much the holy grail for me..

Based on the specs and my experience thus far, it is... the main caveat being I haven't tried setting up and customizing the more advanced doorbell features such as motion detection. Right now I only get notification of the ring. Not sure I care that much about motion detection itself (as I don't on the other cameras) but eventually I may play around with them.

Avoiding animals, leaves, rain, and the wasps who attempt to mate with the cameras (I assume, otherwise, not sure why they hang around them so much! :-)) is a challenge. Probably less so on a doorbell so might give it a shot.

If you want all of that stuff I really really recommend Camect - I have had a beta test unit for many months and it is amazing - everything is kept local and it can tell the difference between so much stuff. Best HA buy for me in as long as I can remember.

You can check it out here

https://camect.com/

They have an API but. Don’t know anything about it......

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:37 pm
Doctor Q offline

Just installed one of these and love it. I have a rather narrow area to mount a doorbell cam, and this is the only one I’ve seen that fits. I’m installing an Ubiquiti network in my house, so I had a Dream Machine Pro handy for the Protect server part, but since the RTSP stream cam be sent in parallel, it also works with Security Spy and the Indigo plug-in. Now I’m working on getting the UniFi plug-in configured. Integration galore!

Page 1 of 1