Current Status: Which USB Stick? How to backup? Etc.

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2020 8:10 am
hannt offline

Current Status: Which USB Stick? How to backup? Etc.

I'm considering resurrecting a project I started (and gave up on) almost 2 years ago - intigrating a Qolsys Security System into my Indigo-based Z-Wave network as a secondary controller. After giving up on that project, I've since been running 2 independent Z-Wave networks: Indigo manages the majority of the Z-Wave devices and most other things, and the Qolsys panel manages security and some other Z-Wave devices like the door locks, garage door controllers and some exterior lighting. I'm hoping that in the time that has passed, the firmware updates for the Qolsys controller and updates to Indigo will make this project a little easier. Also, I know much more about Z-Wave now than I did then.

One of the challenges for this upgrade is the Kwikset door locks. The locks should be within 10 ft of the controller during inclusion and Indigo is nowhere near that in my house. There are a few ways to handle this, but I'm leaning towards using an Aotec Z-Stick Gen 5. From my understanding, I can unplug the Z-Stick from the Indigo machine and include the locks using just the Z-Stick. So first questions: How well does this work with locks? Any issues I should be aware of? I'm also very interested in the solution of Remoting a Z-Wave Stick. While this seems a little more complicated, I'm up for the challenge. And in the end I would have a Raspberry Pi and Z-Way to play with.

If I use the Z-Stick, that leads to the next challenge. I'm currently using a HomeSeer SmartStick+, which has worked really well so far. No problems to report. However, I'd have to perform some sort of backup/restore to upgrade to the Z-Stick. I've read the post on Network Shift Between Z-Wave Controllers and it doesn't really mention the SmartStick+ as an option. So then the next question is how to backup and restore from a SmartStick+ to a Z-Stick? Is this possible? If so how?

And finally, if I'm going to move from the SmartStick+ to something else, I would also want to consider the Z-Wave.me UZB. From what I've read in some places, the Z-Stick uses the same firmware (but different versions ?) as the UZB, but in other places I've read the UZB uses a different approach in firmware from any other stick. It's supposed to be much faster. So what are your thoughts on which stick is best? I'd rather pick the best stick, then figure out how to move my system to that stick (rather than picking a lesser stick to make the integration go a little smoother). Or maybe I just keep the SmartStick+ since it's been working well over the past 2 years.

I'm hoping these questions will promote some good conversation from those who have experienced these scenarios. Thank you very much in advance for any information you would be willing to share.

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 4:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Current Status: Which USB Stick? How to backup? Etc.

hannt wrote:
From my understanding, I can unplug the Z-Stick from the Indigo machine and include the locks using just the Z-Stick. So first questions: How well does this work with locks?

Unfortunately that is not the case. For inclusion of modules that use encryption Indigo has to be actively managing the inclusion process so the key exchange can occur. The process is actually quite complicated – the Z-Wave controller stack doesn't handle much at all in the way security/encryption other than passing the packets to the controlling software to handle. Lots of users will physically move the locks to be next to their Macs for the inclusion process, which I know can be a pain. You could definitely try the Remoting a Z-Wave Stick technique, although if it were me I'd probably just move the locks for the inclusion.

I don't know for sure but I'm pretty positive the HomeSeer SmartStick+ supports the network shift functionality. The ZenSys tool references on those steps should work fine with it.

I don't have a firm preference / opinion on using the UZB versus the Z-Stick. We did do some work on the most recent version of Indigo (7.4.1) to add support for the UZB. It does (or can) have a newer firmware version than the Gen 5 Z-Sticks which caused some issues we had to resolve.

Posted on
Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 pm
hannt offline

Glad I asked before purchasing a Z-Stick! Thanks for the info, Matt.

Still interested in what others think about the Z-Stick vs. the UZB vs. the SmartStick+.

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2020 7:30 am
chobo offline

Also considering a Z-Wave controller change... My aging Z-Troller needs to be replaced and it *appears* there is an upgrade path to the Z-Net (from HomeSeer supported interfaces). I have come across confirmed Z-Net compatibility with Indigo 7+. Like you, I want to avoid anything that requires rebuilding the network.

Anyone have experiences with the Z-Net or UZB and Indigo? I've used previous versions of the Z-Stick and would like to avoid if at all possible.

Thx!

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2020 6:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I haven't heard much about users' experiences with the Z-Net, but from this forum post it sounds like it works.

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2020 6:21 pm
chobo offline

matt (support) wrote:
I haven't heard much about users' experiences with the Z-Net, but from this forum post it sounds like it works.
Pretty certain that’s the post I came across too, Matt!

Trying to nail down the differences between the lite and standard model before pulling the trigger. Seems the standard is WiFi and Ethernet and the lite is Ethernet only. Not sure if there are other differences.

Something appealing about the placement flexibility that comes with these IP capable interfaces...

Posted on
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:43 am
MrMxyzptlk offline

I currently use HomeSeer with 2 Z-NET and LOVE them. No issues period, so the fact that I may be able to use these in Indigo is exciting!
I have hundreds of ZWave devices, and was NOT looking forward to migrating over to another ZWave controller.

Posted on
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:32 am
cesarvog offline

hannt wrote:
If I use the Z-Stick, that leads to the next challenge. I'm currently using a HomeSeer SmartStick+, which has worked really well so far. No problems to report. However, I'd have to perform some sort of backup/restore to upgrade to the Z-Stick. I've read the post on Network Shift Between Z-Wave Controllers and it doesn't really mention the SmartStick+ as an option. So then the next question is how to backup and restore from a SmartStick+ to a Z-Stick? Is this possible? If so how?

And finally, if I'm going to move from the SmartStick+ to something else, I would also want to consider the Z-Wave.me UZB. From what I've read in some places, the Z-Stick uses the same firmware (but different versions ?) as the UZB, but in other places I've read the UZB uses a different approach in firmware from any other stick. It's supposed to be much faster. So what are your thoughts on which stick is best? I'd rather pick the best stick, then figure out how to move my system to that stick (rather than picking a lesser stick to make the integration go a little smoother). Or maybe I just keep the SmartStick+ since it's been working well over the past 2 years.

I'm hoping these questions will promote some good conversation from those who have experienced these scenarios. Thank you very much in advance for any information you would be willing to share.

Please see this post: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=17368&p=193475#p193358

Page 1 of 1